Home

MLB 14: The Show Impressions Thread (Impressions only!)

This is a discussion on MLB 14: The Show Impressions Thread (Impressions only!) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 14: The Show Impressions Thread (Impressions only!)

Confirmed both bayman and Inhocmark both have copies of the PS4 version of MLB 14 The Show.

doughron is confirmed.

If they want to post their impressions, they are free to do so here. Don't flood this post with questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baymanI.jpg (81.8 KB, 4200 views)
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 05-02-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Confirmed Users with MLB 14 The Show (PS4)

Did a batting practice with Ichiro, love the new swing. Will save other thoughts until I play with the game fully loaded on the HDD.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

OVR: 4

The Flyers game is on so I've only had a few minutes. Threw on a quick play, LAD @ LAA. Did not have a fly over in the pre game if that's what people were asking.

Quick impression is the game looks brilliant and plays smoothly. The new fielding is great, I completely misplayed a ball in the outfield.

The graphics are mostly a bunch of little things that add up. Looks great.

After playing a lot of FIFA I was disappointed in the load times off the initial boot and going into the game. They felt long.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Inhocmark; 04-29-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
Would love to know about the visuals overall and animations,etc..the improvements over PS3 version...is its a nice jump in improvments?
I haven't played or focused much on the PS3 version but it is fair to say that it is a lot of small improvements that add up to make impressive visuals. Lighting and shadows look good (day game), player models are strong, crowd looks to be improved. The wind effects appear to be real time too.

If you're looking for a night and day difference between the two then you might be let down. But it is a difference you can see.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminallyOdd
Co-op play removed? So no local 2 vs 2? Wow, that blows.
I can not 100% confirm it right now, but there is room under each team in quick play for two controllers. That would seem to indicate 2 v 2 local co-op no?

If I was to hazard a guess about the graphical differences mostly going on MLB 13 PS3 vs the PS4 version again I'd have to say that it comes down to having more resources to work with. Animation at least in one game seemed a little less canned (if you know what I mean). It felt a bit more fluid overall.

I can't comment on Uniform numbers vs. PS3, all I can say is that there's a ton at least for the Angels. I must've gone through 10 options.

I'm not sold on the hitting camera yet. I like the idea but it really limits what you're seeing out in the field. Great for 'realism', but disappointing if you want to actually see the game.

I love the fielding camera though. Fielding feels like a bit of an adventure sometimes.

Bayman is the MLB hard core. I'm a novice compared to him. He's your best bet for a more detailed opinion on the game play.

I will try to snag some screens and vids off the PS4 when the 1.70 update drops tomorrow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaw913
When did the pitcher picking up the rosin bag get dismissed? Also, we don't even know if fly-ins are gone yet. It may not do it every game.
Bingo...or it might be specific stadiums. I went with Anaheim being a very middle of the road park to test it out...sadly no flyovers.

But I do think I saw the pitcher going for the resin bag....90% sure anyways.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Same amount of uniforms.

Haven't seen a fly in before any of my first 3 exhibition games. 2 of the games opened with shots of one specific area outside the stadium though
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

Just skimming through this before leaving (sorry folks work calls so no impressions until after Game 7 of the Flyers/Rangers tonight). On page 6 it was pointed out that this may not be the final day 1 version. That still may be the case but the PS4 did download a 200+MB patch first time I ran it. And once I did update I was prompted to save the April 28th Roster update.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »