Home

Quick Counts: Pinch Hitters and Relief Pitchers

This is a discussion on Quick Counts: Pinch Hitters and Relief Pitchers within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5
Quick Counts: Pinch Hitters and Relief Pitchers

I searched but didn't see anything that addresses this.

I like Quick Counts so far, but one slightly distressing thing is that it is sort of incompatible with pinch hitting and relief pitchers.

If you want to pinch hit, the current batter already has a count generated (0-2 for example) You sub him out and the pinch hitter inherits that count. I supposed you can just tell yourself that this would have been the count generated with the new hitter but as the counts are supposedly generated with real statistics, this kind of bugs me. I wish there were a way to pinch hit and get a fresh count generated.

Similarly, when you go for a relief pitcher, unless you've set it up for the new pitcher to enter the game at the start of the next half-inning (which I do when appropriate), the new pitcher inherits the count from the old pitcher. So for example, your starter is laboring with 100 pitches and gives up another walk, when you go to the pen the original pitcher throws a few more pitches past the point when you want him out of the game and the new reliever comes in with the old pitcher's count. Again, I wish it would start fresh when you bring in a reliever.

It's also a little weird in terms of stealing if you want to go early but that doesn't bother me as much as the above issues.

Am I missing something? Thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by Strings74; 05-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Quick Counts: Pinch Hitters and Relief Pitchers

I was under the impression that the counts did regenerate. If they aren't, that may be a bug.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

I played two games this morning and from what I saw/think I remember was them regenerating. Did this happen to you numerous times?

Maybe the generation string was similar as you pinch hitting for a inferior player with another "bench" player and the code was the same for the generated count?

Now, if you pinch hit Nick Markakis for, say, Darren O'Day, it shouldnt be the same. But if you pinch hit Jamile Weeks for Jonathan Schoop, the ratings could be similar and result in a similar or the same generated count.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland4
I played two games this morning and from what I saw/think I remember was them regenerating. Did this happen to you numerous times?

Maybe the generation string was similar as you pinch hitting for a inferior player with another "bench" player and the code was the same for the generated count?

Now, if you pinch hit Nick Markakis for, say, Darren O'Day, it shouldnt be the same. But if you pinch hit Jamile Weeks for Jonathan Schoop, the ratings could be similar and result in a similar or the same generated count.
Hmmm. It happened to me last night a couple of times, but maybe you are right: Maybe I just happened to get the same count generated each time.

I hope that's the case. I'm encouraged by these replies, actually. Will test it more specifically when I get off work.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Rookie

Hammettf2b's Arena

OVR: 2

I was just about to make a thread about this same exact thing. Same happened to me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2

Yea I had the same thing out. Took out my started in the middle of the inning with the count 3-2. My reliever than had the same count. Also happened with a pinch hitter, but those are the only two times I did it so it could have been a weird coincidence.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Pro

HokieB's Arena

OVR: 14

You can also pause the game (option button) and sub through the menu before you get to the next batter. You have to be pretty quick on your feet though.

I just assumed it was an inherent flaw with Quick Counts so I didn't even try subbing once a count was in place, but a regenerated Quick Count makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
MVP

KMRblue1027's Arena

OVR: 1

I think you just need to do the substitution before you hit the 9th spot.

PS4 Games:
Battlefield 4
MLB: The Show (Duh)
Destiny

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »