Home

Great 2 TE forms/plays

This is a discussion on Great 2 TE forms/plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Great 2 TE forms/plays

I'm typically not a huge TE utilizer, but when I got to my dream job in my dynasty I inherited a roster with some outstanding TE's. Since the TE stick, TE post, and deep attack are some of my favorite plays, I've managed to stay high on TE recruit's list even though I intentionally favor speedier wide receivers. Somehow I recruited two TE's who have near 90 speed, and I'm itching to get them on the field more in lieu of my current crop of slot receivers who have been a little disappointing. I've used the Ace Big set for running purposes for a long time, but I was wondering what other sets were out there that could really let me unleash my two serious matchup nightmares in the passing game. It's hard to tell without a lot of trial and error (tough to do in a maxed out custom PB) which formations are worth dropping a spread formation to add because they have a variety or a couple key effective pass plays that make them worthwhile.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Great 2 TE forms/plays

Penn State's playbook is good for a TE oriented offense. It's basically the Patriots playbook.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Rookie

I run a shotgun/pistol offense which have lots of 2 tight end sets. I've never had a tight end with 90+ speed, but he'd probably be a matchup nightmare if you motion him out wide and he's matched up one on one with a linebacker. I've usually found that tight ends are utilized better when they run short routes and not deep ones.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycoa
Penn State's playbook is good for a TE oriented offense. It's basically the Patriots playbook.
I took over Penn State, which is probably why I inherited some talented TE's. I actually run an air raid based custom, which started with A&M, but because of my talented roster and my love for the Power O, I incorporated some pro sets and some other TE featuring sets not in A&M's PB. My intention was to weed out the FB and TE's as much as I could, but changing that after so much success with my current match of air raid with pro would just be silly.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoyer1994
I run a shotgun/pistol offense which have lots of 2 tight end sets. I've never had a tight end with 90+ speed, but he'd probably be a matchup nightmare if you motion him out wide and he's matched up one on one with a linebacker. I've usually found that tight ends are utilized better when they run short routes and not deep ones.
I certainly don't try to run TE streaks very often, and my TE's are most used with the stick play as the primary option (if my outside receivers aren't one on one in press). Still, the TE post play can be very effective, and on the sliders I play on, a bulkier guy is much more likely to elude tackles than a smaller, shiftier wide receiver. I also like to run the PA power O plays which often can hit the TE 15-20 yards downfield and potential YAC if there is enough room by the sideline. A TE running a streak route is also the best hot read on the field to hit ten yards out before a safety has had a chance to cover.

I tend to average 6-8 catches for 80 yards or so with my starting TE, while my top slot receiver might get 4-5 for 80-100 and my top outside receiver (s) might go 3-130 or so. The other guys are the ones who can beat the coverage, but the right play can still get you really good yards with a TE.

I've found that more often than not in a closely contested game against a top opponent, when the deep routes are shut down by great safety play and/or pass rush, my TE is the one to make a big play with YAC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

I don't remember the exact formation, but there is a shotgun-spread formation (2x2 formation) with a package sub that puts a TE at both slot receiver spots. If you can find a formation with that option, that could work for you.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 6

I really like the ace jumbo package that's in the Penn State playbook. Alabama has a lot of 2 TE sets as well. You could merge the Penn State and Bama playbook.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Rookie

JH823Opsport's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuncanOSU
I don't remember the exact formation, but there is a shotgun-spread formation (2x2 formation) with a package sub that puts a TE at both slot receiver spots. If you can find a formation with that option, that could work for you.
I found those formations with TWIN TE or DUAL TE SLOT Packages:
Shotgun: Spread Flex
Shotgun: Spread Flex Wk
Shotgun: Spread HB Wk
Shotgun: Spread Offset
Shotgun: Tight Slots
Shotgun: Flanker Close Wk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »