Home

The Cubbies

This is a discussion on The Cubbies within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
The Cubbies

(Hey all! This is going to be my attepmt at playing through a whole season with the Cubs, likely starting in 2017. The first couple of posts will be mostly roster and season updates)

"Patience is a virtue" - Prudentius

It sure is. As lifelong Cub fans can tell you, we have waited long enough, but must wait longer. The fan base must understand what is being done, and we can only hope for so much so fast. I long for the days in which Lee and Ramirez were smashing pitching on to Waveland over the park, the days when Wood, Prior, Zambrano, and the like were Aces, When Sosa was prime Sosa. I long for the days when the Cubs can be good enough, just once in my lifetime, to win what is unknown to most: A World Series Title.

Eamus Catuli!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
MVP

Re: The Cubbies

Pre-2014 prospect spotlight and season outlook.

Players to watch in the Majors:
1B Anthony Rizzo looks to build on what can be considered a strong season, but needs to hit for a better average.
SS Starlin Castro looks to take a more disciplined approach and to get back to what he knows he can do at the dish.
SP Jeff Samardzija is the Cubs Ace, but is considered a valuable trade asset; look for him to be on the move if the Cubs are scuffling mid-season.

Hope for this season is slim, and it looks as though the Cubs are headed for another 90+ loss season. With a high pick in this year's draft, the Cubs will likely eye a bat, picking up pitching in the later rounds.
Prospect Highlight:

3B Kris Bryant: After a strong start to his professional career, the college third baseman looks to improve, especially in the field. Reports are he could shift to Right field to get his bat in the major league lineup sooner rather than later.
Scouting report:
Power: 65/80
Arm: 40/65
Glove: 30/55
Speed: 35/45
ETA: Late 2014/Early 2015

SS Javier Baez: After leading the minor leagues in Homers last season, Baez again looks to out-slug everybody. With elite bat speed, Baez should also push the Cubs to call him up later this season, the question being where he will play in the field. With Castro firmly ingrained at short, Baez could transition to either 2B or 3B, depending on what the Cubs do with Bryant.
Scouting Report:
Power: 60/75
Arm: 50/65
Glove: 30/50
Speed: 45/55
ETA: Mid/Late 2014.

Last edited by twl221; 06-16-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
MVP

Cubs pick up strong bat, Pitching depth in Draft; Strong start has Cub fans wondering front office should do.

First year player draft prospect profiles:
1st Round: LF Eric Hamilton (L/L, 20, 6'5, 233)
Hamilton comes from a JUCO, with strong indications, even at age 20, that he could potentially be a 30-30 player in the future. He is a Lefty at the dish and in the field, built strong (6'5, 233) and plays hard. His knock? he doesn't hit for a high average and does not project to be a good fielder. STill he could push for the Majors nearing the 2018 season, perhaps earlier.
Power: 60/75
Arm: 35/65
Glove: 25/40
Speed: 65/75

2nd Round: CP Eric Gagnon (R/R, 19, 6'2, 180)
Gagnon isn't overpowering, but what is impressive is his secondary stuff at such a young age (19). ETA: 2017

3rd Round: 2B Jeff Woodson (L/R, 21, 6'2, 211)
Woodson has been praised for his line-drive approach and readiness to take what is given to him. His ceiling isn't as high as some players, but his floor is much higher than most.

4th Round: SP Michael Wells (S/L, 20, 6'4, 199)
Right now, Wells has a good fastball, and that's about it. That is not bad, per se, as that is how many pitcher come into the league. If he can develop his secondary pitches, he could be a #3 in the MLB; otherwise, he'll he a bull pen guy. ETA: 2021

5th Round: SP Randy Villanueva (R/L, 18, 6'1, 204)
A prep pitcher with a good fastball, these are the guys you take a chance on, because hey, who knows? He can move it a few ways (4s, Cut, Sink) but needs to develop his curveball to become a better pitcher rather than a thrower. ETA: 2022

6th Round: RP David Crowley (R/R, 22, 6'1, 205)
A more polished pitcher, but the stuff isn't there for a guy to stick as a starter. He has a good fastball with a decent changeup, but needs to learn how to use them effectively. ETA: 2022

7th Round: LF Chris Bulger (R/R, 21, 6'5, 2017)
Built as an athlete, but not as a baseball player per se. Needs to improve mechanics at the plate. His glove is his best attribute. ETA: None

Season update:
The season has gone better than expected for the Cubbies, sitting at 31-27, 1.5 back of the Cardinals. It has been the pitching more than anything, with Samardzija and Wood near the top of the boards in WHIP (3 and 7, respectively). Castro and Rizzo have struggled, while Mike Olt has gotten off to a strong start.

Prospect updates:
Kris Bryant: .268/.322/.442, 7 HR, 27 RBI
Javy Baez: .2718.317/.447, 6 HR, 30 RBI
Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
MVP

Rangers, Cubs swap in blockbuster

A day after Jeff Samardzija, the MLB's era leader started the all-star game for the National League, he was sent to Texas what is the first big trade of the Season. The Cubs, in return for Samardzija (as well as Bonafacio) acquired SP Kevin Gausmen, who will take over the empty rotation spot in the Majors, SP Alex Gonzalez, who will likely make his debut sometime this season, and 3B Joey Gallo, a intriguing prospect who grades out at 80 power. In a corresponding move, Bryant has made the full transition to RF for the moment.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Good luck. I am a Cubs fan going back to the days of Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, Dawson, Maddux ect..

It has been a long long long long long time since we had a winning team.

Not sure I really like the deal you made with Texas. Olt was a Top-60 prospect in 2013 (Ranked #58), when the Cubs got him last year, not sure why the Rangers would give up another high rated 3B prospect 2 years in a row. (Gallo is their #4 rated Overall going into 2014)

Anyways good luck turning things around
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Good luck. I am a Cubs fan going back to the days of Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, Dawson, Maddux ect..

It has been a long long long long long time since we had a winning team.

Not sure I really like the deal you made with Texas. Olt was a Top-60 prospect in 2013 (Ranked #58), when the Cubs got him last year, not sure why the Rangers would give up another high rated 3B prospect 2 years in a row. (Gallo is their #4 rated Overall going into 2014)

Anyways good luck turning things around
Yeah, I had to consider stuff like that. However, I feel as though if Texas had not done that deal, they may have done something similar to this in real life (no chance of it happening now). My thoughts are that it really helps Texas get to the top in game; they are 2 back of the Mariners at 52-43, and theire rotation has been far from great. Bonafacio also steps into the lineup against lefties and gives them a good bench player. As for Olt, I think he was dealing with vision problems at the time and wasn't thought of very highly anymore in the Rangers organization, and they seem to be bothering him again.

At any point, this Franchise will become more in depth whenever I decide to start playing; I just want to get to that point asap.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
MVP

Trade deadline update; new prospect highlights.

After a good start by the Cubs to the 2014 season, they have been playing as to what everybody expected all along. With Samardzija and Bonafacio gone for three players in a Texas swap, however, the future becomes brighter. Things are also looking up for Rizzo after his slow start, already matching his homerun total from last season, with an All-star (and HR derby) appearance. Castro is still scuttling, especially with runners in scoring position (.154). The Cubs are currently 46-61, 12 games back of the Cardinals.

New Prospect Highlights and updates:

Of the three players to be highlighted from the Samardzija trade, Kevin Gausmen looks to have the brightest future. The pitcher projects to be a top end starter, though he has more of a #2 look than an ace. His best qualities are his plus fastball and plus splitter, while his changeup and slider need work. Already he has taken his spot in the Cubs rotation, and should be there for some time. Gausmen is 23 years old, and stands at 6'3, 190 pounds.

The other pitcher acquired, Alex Gonzalez, is a hard thrower, with his fastball topping at 97 with sharp movement. His slider is also good, but not great. his off-speed pitches need work. He projects as a #3, maybe a #2 at the very best.

Third baseman Joey Gallo is perhaps the most intriguing prospect of the three. Strong and extremely powerful, Gallo is a homerun hitter by any definition. He already grades at 80 power, but needs polish as a hitter, and needs to reduce his strikeout percentage. Bottom line, if he can hit at least .240, he could be an allstar in the bigs in a few years.

Updates:

Kris Bryant (AA): .272/.343/.456, 16 HR, 51 RBI, 376 PA.
Javy Baez (AA): .280/.316/.459, 12 HR, 56 RBI, 371 PA.
Joey Gallo (AA): .280/.357/.540, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 66 PA.
Kevin Gausmen (MLB, 2 teams): 2-5, 4.96, 31 K, 45.1 IP.
Alex Gonzalez (AA/AAA): 7-6, 2.15, 124 K, 125.1 IP / 0-0, 3.18, 5 K, 5.2 IP
Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
MVP

redsrulenc's Arena

OVR: 8

Joey, Joey, Joey!

I'm an Alex Gonzalez fan as well. Nice to have them in your Cubs organization, I can imagine!

Run For The Playoffs - A Louisville Bats AAA dynasty

Gimmie A Hell! Gimmie A Yeah! - This is Blue Mountain State Football.

Single-A Baseball on The Show? Un-Flocking-Believable! - Go Myrtle Beach Pelicans!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »