Home

Best way to stop Bench routes??

This is a discussion on Best way to stop Bench routes?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Best way to stop Bench routes??

I run mostly Nickel man coverage. I user the SS. LB's pick up the slot receivers but get burned on the cut. I can usually pick it up and help with the SS if they throw to my side, but the FS can't get over quick enough if it's his side.

If I could get the CB's to cover the slots it wouldn't be so big an issue. I'm not worried about the short out routes.

What hot routes can I put the FS in to pick it up on that side?? I've tried putting my LB's in zone and pushing them out... but that seems to cause more problems than it solves.

Last edited by uneasyrider; 06-16-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Best way to stop Bench routes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneasyrider

I run mostly Nickel man coverage. I user the SS. LB's pick up the slot receivers but get burned on the cut. I can usually pick it up and help with the SS if they throw to my side, but the FS can't get over quick enough if it's his side.

If I could get the CB's to cover the slots it wouldn't be so big an issue. I'm not worried about the short out routes.

What hot routes can I put the FS in to pick it up on that side?? I've tried putting my LB's in zone and pushing them out... but that seems to cause more problems than it solves.

Nickle Man2 verse a 4 wr set gives the offense a miss match advantage.

One idea is to always make sure the nickle CB is always lined up on the wide side of the field and user the safety to the boundry to help on the LB in coverage. Another idea is to key on the slot WR. This leaves other WR a little more open.

But the real problem is that this is the perfect play against your defense. You have a LB covering a WR. Experience players will try to take advantage of this miss match all game.

You may want to consider getting the 4th CB on the filed if you insist on play Man2. Also cover 4 works great against this play. You will give up the flats but hopefully the buzz defender with come up a make the tackle for minimal gain.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 4

Bench is a man Destroyer. I like putting my corners or one of the safeties in either hook zones or curl to flat routes, it works like 70% of the time.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

These types of routes can be stopped by zone coverage. It will eat up man all day, but with the right type of zone coverage (or a good safety getting in the area) these are also some of the most easily intercepted routes.

I'd imagine that a cover 3 or 4 could do well if the zones weren't too deep, maybe cover 2 sink. I used to pick man coverage exclusively, but since I started doing a mix of zone and man I find that eventually one of my guys will be in the right position to get a pick, while I'm not prone to get eaten up by one route type over and over.

If you wanted to talk about stopping the "stick" play, that's a bigger challenge, though 5 yards a time can be offset by some sacks and TFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »