Home

Are the Twins this dumb, or am I just the best GM ever?

This is a discussion on Are the Twins this dumb, or am I just the best GM ever? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Are the Twins this dumb, or am I just the best GM ever?

I'm a pretty hard-core offline franchise guy that tries to keep things as realistic as possible while still having fun and living in my own little virtual baseball world. I don't care about keeping perfect rosters throughout the season because I'm under the idea that once my franchise starts it's my own universe (for lack of a better term). I don't make a lot of crazy moves (I play as the Cubs). For example, I'd never trade Kris Bryant or Javier Baez right now. I've put Samdardzija on the trade block and would deal any of my vets for any young talent I could get.

Now that leaves me with my question for those of you with experience in trading in offline franchise. I was scouring the other teams for good prospects when I came across arguably the best prospect in baseball right now, Byron Buxton from the Minnesota Twins. I thought, ah, what the heck, I'll take a shot at him. I looked at what the Twins were wanting in exchange and they were in need of a closing pitcher for some reason, relief pitching, and an outfielder. Well, I thought, I just so happen to have a closer I don't really care about (Jose Veras) and an outfielder in Ryan Sweeney whose been under-performing for me all year. So I threw those two out there and a day or two later... the trade went through!

While my first reaction was, this is awesome! I quickly changed my tune to, really? Come on Minnesota. So it trading just ridiculously easy or did I just strike it rich here? I remember last year in NHL trying to acquire Zachary Fucale (a top goalie prospect) and there was almost nothing I could to (aside from trading Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane, which wasn't going to happen) to get him. I'm kind of hoping that the CPU has a little more sense than to trade someone like Buxton for basically some old, average veterans.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Are the Twins this dumb, or am I just the best GM ever?

It is widely known that the trade logic in this otherwise fantastic game is horribly broken. That's why there is a 400+ page (and growing) thread devoted only to doing the good work of analyzing trades for both fairness and realism.

To do a realistic chise in The Show, you really have to use 30-team control, check out the trade discussion thread, and basically give yourself trade veto power in the game along with the responsibility of checking the trade wire daily to use that veto power.

With great power comes great responsibility.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
It is widely known that the trade logic in this otherwise fantastic game is horribly broken. That's why there is a 400+ page (and growing) thread devoted only to doing the good work of analyzing trades for both fairness and realism.

To do a realistic chise in The Show, you really have to use 30-team control, check out the trade discussion thread, and basically give yourself trade veto power in the game along with the responsibility of checking the trade wire daily to use that veto power.

With great power comes great responsibility.
I run 30-team control but I guess I was hoping that the CPU had a bit more sense than that. I feel like I stole a prospect there (I've already made saves over it in my game). I'll bear in mind the thread for the future but I'll chalk this one up to Minnesota giving him up for some unknown reason.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I run 30-team control but I guess I was hoping that the CPU had a bit more sense than that. I feel like I stole a prospect there (I've already made saves over it in my game). I'll bear in mind the thread for the future but I'll chalk this one up to Minnesota giving him up for some unknown reason.
Your chise, your rules. But it's hard to run a realistic chise after pilfering the best prospect in baseball for basically nothing. You can always undo the trade by offering the same deal in reverse...having already saved it wouldn't prevent that. You can use force trades also or just use 30-team and accept it manually. Lots of options.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Your chise, your rules. But it's hard to run a realistic chise after pilfering the best prospect in baseball for basically nothing. You can always undo the trade by offering the same deal in reverse...having already saved it wouldn't prevent that. You can use force trades also or just use 30-team and accept it manually. Lots of options.
Yeah, I think I might do that.

Streaming on Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

You've been here for 11 years...you know better man!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Haha you did.

There is wanting to be realistic, but also wanting to have fun. If this is going to make you enjoy your franchise more, then go for it.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Ha. ND, you're right. I went back and re-ddi the trade. It was just too ridiculous. From now one I'll throw them out on the thread here and see what you guys think.

Streaming on Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »