Home

Monitor / TV input lag is huge in this gm

This is a discussion on Monitor / TV input lag is huge in this gm within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Monitor / TV input lag is huge in this gm

So I have a BenQ 24 inch I play on but I have been taking my ps4 to work playing my rtts. Well I just moved up the level last night to hof. Got to work and played all day on a 32 inch flat 1080p Magnovx. Could not hit for nothing behind all day went to practice all day. Thing OMG this level might b to hard. So I get home get on my monitor and I'm early on everything crushing the ball down the line and in gap. Bottom line check your tvs for gaming options also look up your input lag on your TV. I'm telling u this could make the game great for one person terrible for the next.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Monitor / TV input lag is huge in this gm

This is definitely true, but the mileage varies as far as the effect of game mode is concerned. My 42' LED (Sony Bravia) lags too much even if I set the mode properly. People had good things to say about input lag on Plasma TV, but I think they were discontinued about a year ago.

I ended up getting a (gaming) PC monitor with very low input lag and I can no longer play The Show on a regular LED. You cannot see the beautiful graphics on a large screen, but the game plays so much better when you minimize input lag.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

The discontinuation of plasmas is some kind of urban legend, I swear. They are superior (especially picture) to LED/LCD in every way but one - they are "fragile". Image retention on newer versions is essentially nonexistent, but you can damage them while moving them if you aren't very careful.

Regardless, my Panasonic plasma has very similar input lag to my monitor - I truly love it for The Show.

Side note: many high quality older plasmas sell for more than their original retail because of the performance and scarcity of good ones.

Edit: Obviously plasmas are in the process of being discontinued (probably within 2 years), which is part of their quasi-collectability. I've heard about it since 2009 though :-P

Last edited by Pandetta; 07-25-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

These gaming monitors sound promising. Think I would see a difference if I switched from a Plasma?

I have a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma that's about 8 years old. I'm sure it doesn't have any gaming options. Not sure how to measure the input lag.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

Its a reaction time test. You press the button when the color changes on the screen. I used to do this on my PS3...not sure if it works on the PS4 browser?

Its a very non-scientific test, but it will give you a 'relative comparison' between multiple TV's/monitors.

Here are some of my numbers for comparison:

On an old CRT monitor in my office (which should, in theory, have no lag): 185ms

Desktop monitor (an LCD screen): 200ms (LCD monitors don't have image processing like your TV does, but are slower than old CRT monitors)

50" Samsung Plasma TV (my main gaming TV): 235ms

40" Samsung LCD (in my bedroom): 275ms (Game is unplayable here).

My old 50" Hitachi Rear Projection HDTV (great for gaming): 225ms (sadly it died)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 0

Haha the next version of The Show should track batting averages for different displays.

I swear I'm better on my CRT than my plasma.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #7
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

This is the reason when I play Challenge of the Week I plug into a 27" CPU monitor.
In franchise mode I use the laggy 46" Bravia.

It almost feels like cheating how late you can swing with a low lag monitor
Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker
Haha the next version of The Show should track batting averages for different displays.

I swear I'm better on my CRT than my plasma.
I honestly do think the difference in input lad by monitor should be explored by the devs and see what can be done about it... I'm crazy enough to actually get a low-latency monitor mainly for the purpose of playing this game, but that's clearly not ideal for most gamers. It's a good thing my other hobbies don't cost me much money so I don't feel particularly guilty for spending an extra on this particular game, but when the experience in the critical part of the game (hitting) relies so much on a hardware issue, it's unfortunate that so many people may not be playing the game to its full potential because of it.

When you play against online players it is painfully obvious that some people cannot catch up to fastball high or inside, most likely because they are not aware of the input lag due to LCD/LEDs (plus some additional network lag...). I know this because I used to be one of them.

I bet most gamers do not have a luxury of trying out different monitors. When I first tried The Show on a CRT, purely by accident when I had no other options, I couldn't believe what I was missing in hitting. That feeling was amplified because I was also using Pure Analog, which was even more susceptible to input lag.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »