Home

A little overwhelmed.

This is a discussion on A little overwhelmed. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
A little overwhelmed.

I haven't played a Madden game regularly in many years even though I usually buy it annually. Today I finally caved and bought Madden 15. So far, I'm liking it, especially the tutorials but I have to admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed. To anyone that ever says that Madden is more of an arcade game that a football simulation, you're crazy.

The biggest challenge I'm facing is the play calling. In years past I've chosen my plays both on offense and defense from the formation screens. However, this year, with so many options, I feel like I need to make an adjustment.

I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable "football guy." I coached two years (an assistant) of high school football for what it's worth and I rarely miss a Bears game. Like I said I've played many football games but in recent years I haven't played them regularly. I know football basics in regards to when to call certain plays but I do struggle with my defensive play calling. There's just so much going on. I've started to use the coaches suggestions and just select from that menu but I feel that if I do this I'm limiting myself.

How do you guys go about calling plays? Especially on defense? Do you use the coaches suggestions? And more importantly, does the coach give good suggestions in your experience? I really want to enjoy this year's game but it just seems like a lot to take in for a gamer that hasn't played video game football much recently.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Rookie

Connolly22's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: A little overwhelmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I haven't played a Madden game regularly in many years even though I usually buy it annually. Today I finally caved and bought Madden 15. So far, I'm liking it, especially the tutorials but I have to admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed. To anyone that ever says that Madden is more of an arcade game that a football simulation, you're crazy.

The biggest challenge I'm facing is the play calling. In years past I've chosen my plays both on offense and defense from the formation screens. However, this year, with so many options, I feel like I need to make an adjustment.

I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable "football guy." I coached two years (an assistant) of high school football for what it's worth and I rarely miss a Bears game. Like I said I've played many football games but in recent years I haven't played them regularly. I know football basics in regards to when to call certain plays but I do struggle with my defensive play calling. There's just so much going on. I've started to use the coaches suggestions and just select from that menu but I feel that if I do this I'm limiting myself.

How do you guys go about calling plays? Especially on defense? Do you use the coaches suggestions? And more importantly, does the coach give good suggestions in your experience? I really want to enjoy this year's game but it just seems like a lot to take in for a gamer that hasn't played video game football much recently.
i hate to say this, but it depends on what defense you're playing with and who you're playing against. 50% of the time just call a generic play like Man cover 2 and use the coverage adjustments and shift pre snap to get a good look for the offensive formation you see.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Another thing is that I feel like I have about 6 seconds to pick my play on defense.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Rookie

Connolly22's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Another thing is that I feel like I have about 6 seconds to pick my play on defense.
do you play with acc clock?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Just started!

quadrospazzed's Arena

OVR: 0

Sounds like you're playing the CPU. I find the CPU really tough to stop too. The computer can execute every play in the playbook and so when you try to stop one thing it can easily counter with the opposite. The only times I have beaten the CPU I've outscored them rather than shutting them out. On third and long every CPU QB throws like Manning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly22
do you play with acc clock?
Yes. I have it set to 20. But in the past I remember having time to pick my play on defense. It seems shorter this year for some reason. I'd say I successfully pick my own play about 50% of the time.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
Pro

Neolithic's Arena

OVR: 6

What happens when you don't pick a play? is it one of the plays on the screen at the time, or just a pick by the CPU likely one of which was the "coaches suggestions based on situation or strategy?" or just totally random, or just the last play you ran?

I haven't payed enough attention honestly.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
Just started!

quadrospazzed's Arena

OVR: 0

In terms of play-calling, I wait til my opponent shows their personnel, and then I pick my formation to counter it. Depending on the situation I'm thinking about the coverage and the pass rush I want to use, or what part of the line I want to hit with a run blitz in short yardage situations. Though often the play I choose isn't the one I run because I often call audibles.

It'll go 3 WR set -> the formation -> choose play -> pre-play adjustments -> the play itself.

After I choose my plays manually in the first half, I go back and use the 'suggested' page. It will list the plays I used in the first half and tell me how effective they were. Also that tiny window that shows you what plays were called in the previous down? Pay attention to that. A lot of thought was put into this year's interface but it also takes a lot of thought to navigate it. Kind of like an NFL defensive playbook.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »