Home

The results are in. Xbox vs PS4 face scan test. (pics inside)

This is a discussion on The results are in. Xbox vs PS4 face scan test. (pics inside) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Rookie

kiing 360's Arena

OVR: 0
The results are in. Xbox vs PS4 face scan test. (pics inside)

The results are in from my experiment with scans on XBOX and PS4, using the same environment and lighting. The results are as followed:

Final results: Xbox one

This first pic is one of my 50 attempts on the Xbox 1, all with the same results no matter the lighting, background or distance my face was from the camera. As you can see i'm getting double eyes, nose and mouth.
20141009_162903.jpg

Final results: PS4

This pic is from my PS4 with the same lighting and same room as my attempts on Xbox one. As you can see the picture is flawless in respects to face alignment. I could try alot harder on lighting but that wasn't my main purpose in this experiment.
20141009_185225.jpg

My conclusions and final verdict:

Well its simple to tell from the two pictures and sad to admit but, PS4's camera and or software is far more reliable and superior to what ever is going on with the Xbox one and Kinect. I can not begin to tell you how many times Ive scanned my face on the kinect with the result coming out as shown, every time, no matter the lighting situation and or placement of the camera. The PS4 scan was accomplished on only My second scan.

I have concluded that where the problem lies in the Kinect is the green square in which you must place your face. upon booting up the PS4 scan I immediately noticed that the green box if reasonably larger then that of the Xbox one. There in lies the major problem for most. with the kinect I was unable to get any closer than about 18-20 inches away before the kinect would lose track of my face. With the PS4 camera I was able to get about 8-10 inches away from the camera with out it loosing track of my face. The first time I scanned on the PS4 I had the camera about 18 inches away, as i did the Kinect and the results came out similar to my Xbox results with the double orifices. I then scanned a second time with the PS4 camera out 8 inches away and the results are as you see...Near perfect.

So to conclude, the problem lies with in the kinects software for most people, But not all which is strange. in my opinion Xbox needs to issue some sort of update to enlarge the size of the green box and or somehow allow for better face detection at closer range.

Spead the word fellas and hopefully enough important people will hear or see this post and make the nessicary changes for Xbox. Cause I for one cant stomach having to play on the PS4 for much longer. lol just kidding PS fanboys

Last edited by kiing 360; 10-09-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: The results are in. Xbox vs PS4 face scan test. (pics inside)

This test does not prove that the PS4 camera is superior to the kinect. It produces the theory that 2k may have made this feature for the PS4 camera and may not have adjusted it properly for the Kinect.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
This test does not prove that the PS4 camera is superior to the kinect. It produces the theory that 2k may have made this feature for the PS4 camera and may not have adjusted it properly for the Kinect.
Or it proves one camera is better/worse than the other under certain conditions. I would bet you could change conditions to swap the results.

But I'm sure more people enjoy a conspiracy theory. One that gains the game developers NOTHING at all. But what does common sense have to do with conspiracy theories, right?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Or it proves one camera is better/worse than the other under certain conditions. I would bet you could change conditions to swap the results.

But I'm sure more people enjoy a conspiracy theory. One that gains the game developers NOTHING at all. But what does common sense have to do with conspiracy theories, right?
I don't think that is a conspiracy at all. That happens all the time with different programs, applications, etc.

I'm not saying "2k meant to make the PS4 camera better, but it is entirely possible that they built the functionality with the PS4 camera first and then tried to adapt it for the Kinect.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Rookie

kiing 360's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
In this test and instance, the ps4 camera is far superior...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Rookie

The Kinect was designed for tracking a player's skeleton in a room, not for taking close up photos of a face. I'm guessing they can't resolve the depth thingy when you get too close to the camera. But sitting too far away makes the photo too small.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I don't think that is a conspiracy at all. That happens all the time with different programs, applications, etc.

I'm not saying "2k meant to make the PS4 camera better, but it is entirely possible that they built the functionality with the PS4 camera first and then tried to adapt it for the Kinect.
I can believe that. I think it's widely believed that the PS4 is the "lead sku" for VC. It's been hinted for a while that Sony currently has a better relationship with them. But then there is the "install progress" indicator thing...
Old 10-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Rookie

PrynceKee's Arena

OVR: 4

This sucks. Thanks for doing this. All of my scans on the Kinect look like yours. I would have figured the PS4's camera would have the problem and not the Kinect. Hopefully 2k releases a patch soon and get this fixed. I want to play mycareer, but I want to at least try to get a good face scan...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »