Home

NBA 2k15 team play book thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2k15 team play book thread within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
NBA 2k15 team play book thread

UPDATE: All teams play books and play types ROUGH DRAFTS are complete and up as of 10/23/14

MAJOR THANKS TO JATTNANGA & RIPCITY71252 who helped in scouting some teams and sent me great videos & notes on quite a few teams. THANK YOU!!!

Hey guys! I wanted to create this thread for everyone to have a place to come to and give feedback and post videos and plays they have seen their team run. No one knows a team like their fans who watch them every game.

I absolutely love this game and think it's the best ever 2k has put out. I've been playing 2k basketball since the 1st edition on dream cast. Anyways, after testing all the plays and seeing the incredible work the czar did in giving us authentic plays and the freelance offenses this year it's given me the motivation to dive deep into these play books again and create all regular and classic teams play books.

That being said I just finished testing every play in the game. Btw, broken plays are a thing of the past! There are still plays though that take to long or don't have as great as action that you will get in others though. So, hence why I want to dive deep into this. Seeing that I'm just about to start placing plays and creating play books after being done testing and organizing I thought this would be a great time to get feedback from the community so we can get the best play books as possible. This is your chance to get some say into getting the plays you want (if realistic) put into this project which might be used in some roster makers files as well. I've always done this on my own and it's a tedious project and process so I thought any suggestions and help I can get the better.

What I'd like and what I'm hoping for is for people to post a video (if you can) of proof of action that a team runs a specific set or action. This can be a great reference point for anyone looking to make a specific play book down the road.

I will be posting all the play books here and updating this post here in the 1st page as I go. When I get around to it I will also get all the plays I tested in each category in this post as well for everyone to have so we don't repeat each others work or testing. Hopefully I can save all you play book guys some time:-)

Btw, I did a spurs play book over the last few days in between testing. I played them last night and tonight and it was incredible watching and playing against the CPU spurs! It was already good just because of czars work but the plays and sets they were running and the way they were running them was incredible. It was the absolute best game I've ever had versus the CPU ever from a executing standpoint, Hence why I am even more motivated to get every team to play like this now.

Here is a post I put in another thread filling everyone in where I'm at right now...

Ok, so got the following tested...

UCLA
Horns
Triangle
Motion
Flow
Flex
Swing
Hawk series
Floppy's
Zipper
Spread
Elbow
Dive's
Chin's
Thru
Euro plays
Miscellaneous plays
Hi/low

I've also separated into categories and picked the best action and best running plays in each category listed above and below. The categories are like this...

Elevator screens
Princeton principles
3pt shooting bigs
Alley oops
Dribble handoffs
Dribble drive / weave action
Cutters

PNR has it own specific
- top key
- angle
- sideline
- dbl screens
- multiple option pnr
- roll vs pop
- wall screens
- double horns screen (only found 1 and it was in a ISO)
- PNP for 3pt shooting big

3 pt and mid range also has specific
- top key 3
- corner 3
- wing 3
- off down screen
- off staggered screen
- curls

Low post
- off cross screen
- off back screen
- punch
- high/low look
- post with pnr option

High post
- off down screen
- post up
- pnp option

I've gone through pretty much all the plays that I wanted too. I do still want to do all the euro plays though. I've got to say that plays are so well done this year! Czar did in incredible job and I just want to say thank you. Obviously I have not tested these with CPU as far as in scrimmage mode. I use as a user and run every play around 10x.

As great a job as the czar did with plays the teams play books can use some love for a few reasons.

1- even though all the plays work some plays take a tad too long, some have pointless action, or there is just better plays with similar action than what they have.

2- some teams don't play like they do when I play them. I think some of this is tendency issues though but I want to give the CPU attacking plays where if they can't score on initial look they can then get the player they want with the ball still in a good position to score. For example: horns fist 14 high ISO. The 1st look is a down screen for top of key jumper for PF (think Aldridge/Duncan/Garnett) but if they don't get the look they can isolate at the top key without having the ISO play type.

3- making play books more user friendly as far as separating play types down to 1-2 pages per play type. No need to have 10 plays with same action but different names. I pick the best 2 top key pnr with spacing that attack quickly and use those for all teams so users can switch teams and have familiarity.

4- this one is my biggest issue. Making sure each team has the players in proper positions in pnr action. I don't want robin Lopez in corner 3 spot as my drive and kick outlet on a screen play. Each pnr play is specifically picked with personnel behind the reasoning of this play or that play. Obviously lineups change and you could have a 3pt shooting big coming off the bench so ill factor that in.

5- play types - cleaning them up and eliminating unnecessary play types by getting similar action in other plays sets.

6- I'm big on only having a small amount of cutter, ISO, low post, and guard post ups. The reasoning is number 1 you can as a user call quick play in all those. Also, no need to have 7 iso's with 2 that are basically the same. I limit to 3-4 max and some teams just have 1 or 2.

Remember there is a million ways to put these play books together. I like an attacking CPU ai. So with all these plays I add the CPU will be deadly from a play standpoint. Then it just comes down to a tendency issue if players are not shooting in spots they should.

Anyways, looking forward to getting started and hearing feedback on team specific stuff from everyone! I know there is a lot of very knowledgable high basketball iq guys here at OS so let get the ball rolling! I'm hoping to have these done (at least rough draft) by start of season?! The hard part is done now it's all watching games and placing plays. Please be specific as you can in descriptions of plays and list plays you think closely represent or have similar or exact action. Once again videos would be great if possible...

If you want playbooks organized enter from the bottom to the top. Start with 3 pointers and last 3 pointer play 1st and so on...

Universal Playbooks - plays most all teams have in their play books (I put in standard playbook) updated 10/16
Spoiler

San Antonio Spurs Playbook rough draft - updated 10/16
Spoiler

Sacramento Kings Playbook rough draft - updated 10/16
Spoiler

Cleveland Cavaliers Playbook rough draft - updated 10/16
Spoiler

Golden State Warriors Playbook rough draft - updated 10/17
Spoiler

Portland Trailblazers Playbook rough draft - updated 10/17
Spoiler

Toronto Raptors Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Milwaukee Bucks Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Orlando Magic Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Denver Nuggets Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Minnesota Timberwolves Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Memphis Grizzlies Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Dallas Mavericks Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Atlanta Hawks Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

New Orleans Pelicans Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Philadelphia 76ers Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Washington Wizards Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Indiana Pacers Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Charlotte Hornets Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Los Angeles Clippers Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Detroit Pistons Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Houston Rockets Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Oklahoma City Thunder Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Phoenix Suns Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Los Angeles Lakers Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Chicago Bulls Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Miami Heat Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

New York Knicks Playbook- rough draft - Knicks Playbook by:Jattnanga updated 10/24
Spoiler

Utah Jazz Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Brooklyn Nets Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Boston Celtics Playbook rough draft - updated 10/22
Spoiler

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 10-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Re: NBA 2k15 team play book thread

Just posted spurs rough draft play book in OP. Test it and let me know how it go's... Remember to NOT delete plays or you will get glitch. Replace plays and add plays only if you want all 50 of them to be in the play book...

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 10-14-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Looking forward to this Buddy. You always help make the game so much better.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
PDX

RipCity71252's Arena

OVR: 8

I've downloaded a couple preseason games (TOR vs SAC, CHI vs WAS), so I'll scout those and post what I find.

I do know that Mike Malone has the Kings running a lot of elbow action this year, mixed with hawk, thru and flex.

Great thread!

Last edited by RipCity71252; 10-14-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

I wanted to post this here for reference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jattnanga
i am working on a user friendly spurs (95% done), warriors (90% done) and bulls (very early stages) playbooks based on watching full games.

as you know many teams in the nba are calling less plays and let the spacing in transition dictate what they are running as well as running what i call supersets...for example the warriors are running spurs strong and weak motion directly into horns...and then running triangle on other possessions (mostly using the number 2 pass to the cnr)

so a play call sequence would look like this:
thru quick 12 for klay --> horns away mid iguodala
swing strong quick 2 iguodala --> horns 53 quick klay
swing strong 1 quick fist steph --> horns flex 42 quick klay
tri wing fist 35 iguodala --> 65 elbow 53 give klay (which is a guard squeeze action from the triangle on the post feed which kerr seems to favor over speed cuts in the half court while using speed cuts in transition on quick postups)

i've watched all 3 warriors games and charted all plays as well as looking at their freelance actions to see what we need to have available in the first few pages of the playcall menu to create the perpetual motion that they are running this year. so there are some possession where you would call 3 plays on 24 second possession.

these system based teams dont really call a specific number of midrange plays per se for each of their stars but rather allow the spacing to determine which actions come next and then have their stars break down close outs once an advantage is gained and help rotations are initiated.

of course, there are specials for the go to players, but those don't need to be available at the fingertips like the automatics do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
PDX

RipCity71252's Arena

OVR: 8

Thru Punch should be added for the Kings

Through the 1Q of the SAC vs. TOR game (focusing on the kings) from 10 /5. I'll upload some more findings tonight.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCity71252
Thru Punch should be added for the Kings

Through the 1Q of the SAC vs. TOR game (focusing on the kings) from 10 /5. I'll upload some more findings tonight.
Awesome! Yes that's 1 of my favorite plays in this game because you have quick quick floppy look, then post up or hit top key for 3 on down screen, and then when you go to the post you got cutter cutting thru for possible dump off and shooters spaced for ball reversal on the dbl team. Actually a lot of teams will have this play as it's pretty common in the nba now. Plus it adds consistency and familiarity to playbooks for guys who like to play with a lot of different teams.

Horns fist 15 punch is very similar but starts out of horns set.

Great stuff! Keep stuff like that coming! Love it! Thanks!

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 10-14-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Watching the cavs bucks game and have seen a lot of stuff from the bucks so far. As far as the cabs go at this point I'll just give them 50 PNR plays as that's all they have done! Lol

By the way, I finished blazers and warriors. I'm on Dallas now. I'll try and post later tonight...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »