Home

Its impossible to find good sliders in this game

This is a discussion on Its impossible to find good sliders in this game within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Its impossible to find good sliders in this game

All the difficulties except superstar are too easy for me. I constantly dominate with almost 5x more time on possession and usually double the amount of shots, yet I still end up losing in the most bizarre and bs ways, all because Superstar difficulty is cheating the hell out of me. I get tons of great point blank shots, which never go in. But of course 1 out of every 3 CPU shots go in even when they are 10 feet away or at the worst possible angle.

The sliders in this game dont even do anything. Ive tried everything from increasing and decreasing goalies and doing the same for checking and shooting. I want to have equal sliders on everything for both the CPU and Human so I dont cheat the game, but its impossible to find a good set of sliders. One game will be okay and then the next its back to my goalie being useless and CPU goalie being superman.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Its impossible to find good sliders in this game

I found myself spending so much time screwing around with the sliders ...i just gave up. Just playing at default now. And just trying to except the sometimes goofy stuff that happens. Imo, the momentum in this game can really go overboard.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

I've been saying this for a while but sliders in this game are nothing more than changes as to what you like as far as the feel of the game. The AI itself doesn't improve via sliders. The only way the AI improves is to adjust the team strategies and on next gen you have to set them every single game by switching the controller to the opposite team. EA has three of the most basic "AI" sliders there are and all they do is promote the CPU to go in hyper mode. I mean it's pure laziness by the dev team on these sliders. CPU AI Learning, CPU Difficulty, and CPU Strategy Adjustment are the only three sliders that affect how the CPU plays. Go ahead and tune the game speed, acceleration, pass speed, etc. all you want but it still doesn't affect how the AI thinks. That's why the majority of the sliders on this forum basically turn out the exact same at the end of the day. There's only one correct setting with the AI sliders. If they aren't set to the proper value all hell breaks loose.

One thing NHL 2k did so much better than EA is sliders. If you go take a look at 2k's sliders you will see a ton of options that actually affect how the CPU plays. If you don't like how much the CPU passes or shoots you can change it with the Shot and Pass frequency sliders. If you don't like that the CPU/User goalie poke checks too much, you can change it. It just continues. They cover most aspects of the game and the actual brain of the AI instead of being cheap and lazy about it. Until EA changes the sliders to this the game will not improve offline unless EA makes the changes themselves, which won't happen.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 10-31-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I found myself spending so much time screwing around with the sliders ...i just gave up. Just playing at default now. And just trying to except the sometimes goofy stuff that happens. Imo, the momentum in this game can really go overboard.
I'm totally with you here. Default hardcore feels so different than default hardcore on last gen though.. so I'm going to try default simulation on current gen to see how that plays.

I want to go back to release day game played and flowed so well that day.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Banned

I find sliders aside from speed/acceleration/strategy the sliders do nothing.

Penalties max/min do nothing

Aggression... Nothing

Etc etc
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
Rookie

misch13fRoyale's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I've been saying this for a while but sliders in this game are nothing more than changes as to what you like as far as the feel of the game. The AI itself doesn't improve via sliders. The only way the AI improves is to adjust the team strategies and on next gen you have to set them every single game by switching the controller to the opposite team. EA has three of the most basic "AI" sliders there are and all they do is promote the CPU to go in hyper mode. I mean it's pure laziness by the dev team on these sliders. CPU AI Learning, CPU Difficulty, and CPU Strategy Adjustment are the only three sliders that affect how the CPU plays. Go ahead and tune the game speed, acceleration, pass speed, etc. all you want but it still doesn't affect how the AI thinks. That's why the majority of the sliders on this forum basically turn out the exact same at the end of the day. There's only one correct setting with the AI sliders. If they aren't set to the proper value all hell breaks loose.

One thing NHL 2k did so much better than EA is sliders. If you go take a look at 2k's sliders you will see a ton of options that actually affect how the CPU plays. If you don't like how much the CPU passes or shoots you can change it with the Shot and Pass frequency sliders. If you don't like that the CPU/User goalie poke checks too much, you can change it. It just continues. They cover most aspects of the game and the actual brain of the AI instead of being cheap and lazy about it. Until EA changes the sliders to this the game will not improve offline unless EA makes the changes themselves, which won't happen.

You nailed it dude. Ive been stuck in slider purgatory just for the sake of trying to save the game for myself, and I feel like im close. But I have noticed if the "game speed" slider is actually increased, more penalties are called on the CPU. Numerous times, I have gotten anywhere from 6-9 PPs in a game. Its not consistent, but Ive seen it climb during a game. I play 12 min periods... with mostly real stats, but still the gameplay is lacking alot, so what im mentioning or have experienced myself isnt enough for me to say, "this is it, I finally nailed it!!"

There is way too much missing, from the GM mode, especially when i compare it to FIFA or MLB the Show. Hockey sim being in a world of its own for myself, but playing those games has made me realize more and more how much NHL series is lacking. Total disappointment. To your point, it should have alot more depth than what it does, with sliders especially.
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Galaxy

Last edited by misch13fRoyale; 10-31-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Rookie

Honestly this is the first year that default sliders are doing it for me. Default Superstar, hardcore with manual shot aim has been great! I'm at about .500 with the Jets in BeaGM and I've had everything from 1-0 wins to 6-5 losses. No complaints here.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Rookie

misch13fRoyale's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocx39
Honestly this is the first year that default sliders are doing it for me. Default Superstar, hardcore with manual shot aim has been great! I'm at about .500 with the Jets in BeaGM and I've had everything from 1-0 wins to 6-5 losses. No complaints here.
I should give it a go. Been debating about that. But put myself through the "exhaust all your options first and torture yourself, then breathe" approach. lol
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Dodgers
Los Angeles Galaxy

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »