Home

My tips for playing On-Ball defense (on or offline)

This is a discussion on My tips for playing On-Ball defense (on or offline) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 7
My tips for playing On-Ball defense (on or offline)

There are still many that say that on-ball defense is flawed. I hear them but I don't totally agree.

Stick skills are still a thing in gaming and I believe, that in this case, that is what it all comes down to.

Do you have the stick skills and the patience? Before your on your tirades about the game being broken read below.

Here are a few tips. Hopefully these can help some of you.

1. Don't rely on the "Crowd Dribbler" button too much :

It is a tool, not a solution. It is an aid in your defensive fight but not something that you should use a crutch. You have to know when to use it and when not to. If a speedy dribbler is approaching you and you push down Crowd Dribbler then you are essentially planting your feet. The dribbler will then run around you. Its not rocket science. Its best use is for boxing out or locking up a motionless opponent. Use it sparingly

2. Move slowly:

Sometimes it is best to move slowly to keep a guy in your sights. If you are pushing turbo all over the court on defense then the momentum will hurt you everytime. You don't want to move too slow, its just when following a player around the court I like to walk in spurts.

3. Don't use the Turbo button too much on defense :

I'm most instances you just don't need to use the Turbo button on defense. Your natural speed should be enough. Not using turbo minimizes bad momentum. Of course if you get beat and are trying to chase down a guy then it goes without saying to use Turbo. Use very sparingly or not at all.

4.Use Quick Step/Cutoff ( move in spurts) :

You don't always have to stay with a guy. You don't always have to hug a guy. Sometimes its better to cutoff a guy from certain places that you don't want him to go. For example , I don't want Derrick Rose driving to hole so I will use the angles against him. The con is that this is a give and take situation. I take away him driving to the basket but I give up him shooting from the perimeter.

5. Use Hands Up Defense:

Use it and use it often. It is one of the most underrated tools. (remember these are all tools to aid you not make you invincible)

I found that most times if I lock up on a guy and just simply put up my hands to defend his shoot, then that's enough most times to make him miss. I also like to raise my hands in the passing lanes. This is fundamental basketball.

6. Play One-on-One in the Offline Blacktop:

You have probably never got this suggestion but I think its a good one. This is a great practice for those having troubles. Try to play against a variety of players like the fast PGs, the fast wing guys and big men. Try to build a strategy here before you get in the games. Yes we are talking about practice
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: My tips for playing On-Ball defense (on or offline)

These work much better in quick match than the park unfortunately But that's when good teammates come into play
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Oh can join in and suggest something. If you play broadcast view change the defensive right stick to absolute. I find that if it's camera relative when using right stick you tend to move slightly out of position. With absolute all you have to do is press up on the right stick without the slight movement that comes with the R stick.

I've been experimenting which works better.... L trigger automatic vs manual R stick. I swear with R stick defense the CPU you're covering misses shots and with automatic intense D the CPU makes those contested shots.

Sad news is that there no stopping shot clock cheese. They will make that bullshot no matter what.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Oh can join in and suggest something. If you play broadcast view change the defensive right stick to absolute. I find that if it's camera relative when using right stick you tend to move slightly out of position. With absolute all you have to do is press up on the right stick without the slight movement that comes with the R stick.

I've been experimenting which works better.... L trigger automatic vs manual R stick. I swear with R stick defense the CPU you're covering misses shots and with automatic intense D the CPU makes those contested shots.

Sad news is that there no stopping shot clock cheese. They will make that bullshot no matter what.

I always use the absolute settings. I just wish that I didn't have to set the controller settings over and over every game.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs

Yes, manual R Stick has been a revelation, and IMO, it does very well stopping shot clock cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealHST
I always use the absolute settings. I just wish that I didn't have to set the controller settings over and over every game.
That is strange, because for me it always stays on absolute.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Yes, manual R Stick has been a revelation, and IMO, it does very well stopping shot clock cheese.

That is strange, because for me it always stays on absolute.

Sometimes it stays set, sometimes it doesn't. I always have to check and make sure.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

This does not work online. Especially when they dribble left and right or when they turbo all the way down the court and make your player fall magically
Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Banned

madmax52277's Arena

OVR: 0

You're tips works fine that's how I play d.
But on superstar sim no matter
how good your d is the CPU force they will and still find a way to score.

I'm starting to give up hope on that level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »