Home

2015 Yankees OSFM

This is a discussion on 2015 Yankees OSFM within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
MVP

RyanLaFalce's Arena

OVR: 0
2015 Yankees OSFM

Figured I'd start this since others are for their teams. I'll try to get some research done tomorrow on the Yankees as they have had a busy off-season.

Sent From My Galaxy S7
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: 2015 Yankees OSFM

Good idea, was thinking about doing this soon as well. Don't have a PS4 yet, but hoping to before the game comes out.

At the very least we can start figuring out who should be included and talking about potentials for the prospects.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:03 AM   #3
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

OVR: 3

I've worked on this in the past. I'll have Baseball America's Prospect Handbook in the next month or so, so I can help with that too, if you guys want help.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

Kiley McDaniel just released his Yankees rankings on Fangraphs today: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evalu...-york-yankees/

Thought it might be a good time to start some discussions. I'm attaching a spreadsheet I'm making to track players. The first tab is the 40-man roster and the second tab is more focused on minor league rosters. Don't pay too much attention to the potential column right now, those are really just placeholders for now. Maybe we can start putting together an idea of who needs to be created and what their ratings/potential should look like.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you (I made it view only because I'm using an array to populate the rosters from the list): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

Just as an FYI, I updated the sheet listed in the prior post. The Minor Leagues tab is updated so we can track progress once we really begin this project. I also updated the Position Player and Pitcher tabs with basic information and repertoires. Once we get a consensus on potentials maybe we can begin the ratings process.

Not sure if we want to start discussing roles. I'm not so hot at faces, but I'm comfortable doing info/ratings and don't mind helping out as much as I can on faces and stances/motions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

Okay, so there's a good number of places out there that have released some prospect rankings.

John Sickels Minor League Ball

Kiley McDaniels Fangraphs

MLB Prospect Rankings

Baseball America

Baseball Prospectus

I don't have a BA or BP subscription, but I wouldn't mind doing a month subscription if it would help. I do have a Scout subscription. Obviously I can't share any info behind the pay wall but the info there is good and is certainly playing a role in my rankings here.

So without further ado, here are my preliminary rankings (only possible A/B for now) for OSFM. Hopefully we can all have some good discussion and adjust as necessary.

SP Luis Severino (A-/B+) (89)
I know Law doesn't like his stride but a number of other sources disagree. Obviously he isn't a finished product, but the stuff is there and so far the production is as well.

OF Aaron Judge (B+) (88)
One of the higher ceiling prospects in the system, he’s looking to be more of a hitter than “just” a slugger. The tools are there, he’s reaching the upper minors, and if he can keep progressing he looks like a possible All-Star RF with 30+ HR potential.

1B Greg Bird (B+/B) (86)
Limited athletically/defensively, he’s a polished hitter with patience and power. So far it looks like his advanced approach and above average power will carry him to the majors (at least if he can stay healthy).

RP Jacob Lindgren (B+/B) (87)
The recent draftee soared quickly through the system and has closer upside. The potential rating for OSFM doesn’t need any sort of positional adjustment like other rankings, so I could see him being a high B.

2B Rob Refsnyder (B) (83)
The bat has played, no doubt about it. He’s put up good numbers at the highest level of the minors and (offensively at least) looks like he could compete for a spot this spring. The big question is the defense. Reportedly he’s making strides, he just needs to keep improving so he’s at least average at 2B.

C Gary Sanchez (B) (82)
Some are souring on Sanchez, but he did just put up a .270/.338/.406 line with 13 HRs while catching as a 21 year old in AA. He’s got the arm to stay at catcher and more athleticism than Montero, but there are a number of question marks. The potential is still there, it just depends what he makes of it.

SS Jorge Mateo (B/B-) (82)
He certainly has a high ceiling, but he’s pretty far away and hasn’t started playing in full season leagues yet. May want to go with a B- due to the uncertainty.

C Luis Torrens (B-) (80)
Much more advanced defensively, he has a solid offensive ceiling as well. Maybe a safer bet to stay at C than Sanchez, but certainly doesn’t have the same power potential.

SP Ian Clarkin (B-/C+) (80)
A polished lefty with three solid pitchers, he could end up being a really decent mid-rotation starter.

3B Eric Jagielo (B-/C+) (78)
Injuries and defensive questions have lowered his stock a bit, but he has nice power from the left side and is supposed to be fairly polished offensively.

3B Miguel Andujar (B-/C+) (77)
Another younger guy, he supposedly profiles better at 3B defensively than Jagielo. He finished last year strong offensively, could be a good overall third baseman.

OF Tyler Austin (B-/C+) (78)
He hit very well in the second half of last year as he moved farther away from his wrist injury. If he can keep that going he probably goes back to one of the better prospects in the system and could even compete for a position in the majors next year.

Last edited by sink4ever; 02-11-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

I'd suggest we stick with the lower grades. SeanJeezy explained it well here:

Remember that potential can always change so its better to err on the side of caution. For example, we were discussing Spencer Adams earlier in the thread - his ultimate upside is probably #2 starter (high 80's) but his realistic upside is #3 or even #4 and he is rated as such. That way he can still hit his ultimate upside, hit his realistic upside, or even fail to reach that. Set him too high and the range of outcomes changes.

Severino is your best prospect and only FV60 guy but he is still thought of as a potential #3, for instance.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
I'd suggest we stick with the lower grades. SeanJeezy explained it well here:

Remember that potential can always change so its better to err on the side of caution. For example, we were discussing Spencer Adams earlier in the thread - his ultimate upside is probably #2 starter (high 80's) but his realistic upside is #3 or even #4 and he is rated as such. That way he can still hit his ultimate upside, hit his realistic upside, or even fail to reach that. Set him too high and the range of outcomes changes.

Severino is your best prospect and only FV60 guy but he is still thought of as a potential #3, for instance.
Yeah, I think I have a similar thought process. It's a delicate balance, as potential can decrease as well as increase.

I updated the post with initial numbers for their potential in red. All subject to change, of course.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »