Home

Do the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 work?

This is a discussion on Do the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 work? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Do the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 work?

For awhile I have read/heard that they don't or at least are significantly weaker than the 3-4 or 4-3. Someone told me or I read somewhere the game is built for the 4-3 and 3-4. Is this true?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Do the 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 work?

I run the 4-2-5 but I sub out the nickel/star position. Default places the 2nd SS there so I use my 3rd corner. I also go more with 2 DTs inside and hybrid LB/DEs on the outside. There are a lot of colleges running the 4-2-5 with a more 2-4-5 look these days.

I hate how the 3-4 plays on this game and the 4-3 is the easiest to recruit for. I just like having more DBs on the field.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I hate how the 3-4 plays on this game
I'm the opposite. I absolutely LOVE the 3-4 in NCAA (and I've played that defense for probably every release of the game). There are tons of studly LBs to recruit so I usually have enough talented ones that I'll play the 3-4 against all sets except for 5 wide and 4 wide. The 3-4 has awesome coverage schemes (I play probably 80% zone) and some great creative blitzes.
IE1:
There are 7 different cover 2 zones in the 3-4 (some rush 3, some 4, some have 2 buzzes, some 1 buzz, some 0 buzzes) and there are even 3 different cover 3 zones (normal, cover 3 sink and cover 3 buzz).

IE2:
I'm sure this is the same for a 3-3-5, but when you rush 4 or 5, that 4th or 5th guy can come from anywhere in the front 7 (not even counting blitzing DBs) which can keep an O on their toes. There are also some really great zone blitzes in the 3-4 too.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Rookie

PDuncanOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

See my post in this thread

Help with the 3-3-5

On how I run a 3-3-5 defense.

I play on default All-American settings, currently the head coach at Oregon. I can't get the stats, but I had the best defense in the country last season. Three games into this season I held Georgia Tech to 7 points, #6 ranked Ohio State to 7 points, and shutout USC. Those were all against the CPU and in those 3 games I've given up an average of 116 yards of total offense per game.

I probably need to talk to the other member of the Online Dynasty about tweaking the sliders, but yes a 3-3-5 defense can work.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

4-2-5 and 3-3-5 both work extremely well, but there are not “plug-n-play” defenses like the 4-3, unless you just have better athletes than your opponent.

EA never programed the “2-gap” defender concept correctly. 2 gap D-lineman playing 0, 2 ,4,6 and even a 5 techniques leave O-lineman completely uncovered allowing them to get to 2nd level defenders. Then they stay blocked!!!! Because of this, in the game, as an ILB, you have to quickly read your keys and scrap hard and attack the gap with the correct shoulder. If not you will leave huge running lanes because the 2 gap defender doesn’t play his 2 gaps. D-lineman are programmed to be 1 gap players and get penetration, so because there are aligned head-up, they just engage the o-lineman and DIE!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Rookie

Tha_Mac's Arena

OVR: 5

I like the 4-2-5 against a read option team. It's a pressure based defense that keeps 5 DB's on the field. If your 2nd SS is a good enough player you can shut the read option down.

I like to defend read option teams by DL pressure up the middle and bring pressure to either the right or left side of the OL. Usually to the side where the RB would run to if the QB hands it off.

Me I play as the FS and if I've recruited well he'll be fast with tackling ability. That allows me to stay with the QB and pursue and put him on the ground in space.

Sometimes in run situations I'll get that DL push up the middle and bring pressure off both edges and this combination is a good basis for me defending the read option with the 4-2-5.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Rookie

TNBassMan10's Arena

I use the 4-2-5 as my base defense. However, I have a customized defensive playbook so I literally have every formation in the game.

My 4-2-5 defense I use to pressure teams who like to run the ball outside via pitch, sweep, jet sweeps, option, and (most importantly) the read option when the QB keeps the ball. 4-2-5 isn't the greatest D against 4 or 5 WRs but then I normally switch to Quarter formation.

If it's 3rd & Short and you need a stop, start 4-2-5 and audible into a Nickel Over Storm Blitz. It's a BOOM or bust defensive call but most of the time its going to work.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #8
Rookie

Burger5204's Arena

The 4-2-5 is one of the main defenses I use for a 3 wide formation. I usually recruit a player who can play the "Star" position, like a second string safety, or a really physical corner. My defense is actually very multiple, and I love to use man coverage with two high safeties.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »