Home

JM16 Customization

This is a discussion on JM16 Customization within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
JM16 Customization

to OS.com,

Feel free to delete if required, however, people want to discuss this game and we love OS.com, which is, for many of us, our 'go to site' for information. The following are facts that people would love to know and can be verified by the 100+ people who stopped by the broadcast.

Damon Grow has spent several hours the last two Sunday evenings in the chat during the SFL's live broadcast of APF2K: http://www.twitch.tv/simulationfl

He can't say much, but has made several statements:

1) he is blown away at the SFL's broadcast
2) he is a huge fan of NFL2K5 and APF2K8
3) he said JM16's 'customization is deep'
4) he said 'change is coming' when someone asked him about 'why pay big name announcers when you can get local talent and add things often to keep it fresh'. (have no idea what this means and may have been a general statement about simulation football)

As far as a lawsuits for providing customization tools (as some have suggested) ... this has been done a dozen times in video games with zero lawsuits. Would EA or the NFL sue the public for using a tool to replicate their league? History tells us 'no'.

----------------- Past confirmed news ----------------

from BigFNdeal's compilation

Spoiler

Last edited by tjspeaks; 03-23-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: JM16 Customization

yep i checked that out after seeing his twitter
Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

I dont think the NFL can sue for a game providing customization tools. Backbreaker provided the tools just fine. It's the sharing that causes the problems. If the tools are easy to use and the customization is as deep as they say, it won't be too difficult for people to recreate the NFL or CFL or whatever on their own.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

If they provided the tools and capabilities everyone's hoping for and it's remotely as successful as everyone seems to be expecting then yeah, they can expect to face litigation, right or wrong.

It's a risk, no two ways about it. A risk they have to manage, and others have managed by restricting the capabilities of the tools. It's just as much about being able to defend themselves in a lawsuit as it is about winning one.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Pro

jp7588's Arena

OVR: 6

I can't see EA/NFL winning such a lawsuit but the threat of litigation, and the associated costs, may prove to be a big enough deterrent. Unless they've got a publisher with deep pockets who would be willing to go to bat for them, giving us the customization we want is a financial risk that may not be worth the trouble.

Heck, the modding community might be enough to scare them away from releasing on PC, regardless of the level of in-game customization. People will turn the thing into an NFL game in a flash, at no fault of the developer. Would they be sued for that? I dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised and that's depressing.

Also, I watched SimulationFL for a bit this weekend and it was awesome. Really made me miss APF.

Last edited by jp7588; 03-23-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Good thread Tj, I agree about people that want to discuss JM16 should have some place to on OS. I got into the stream late, missed the part about Grow saying the customization would be deep but did catch the "change is coming" comment. I had compiled a list of other things revealed by Grow from various places for a thread, maybe you can add them to this one as part of the discussion.

With all the rumors and mystery surrounding this game, it seemed appropriate to have a thread where everyone could find, as well as discuss, what has been revealed about Joe Montana 16.

Fan variation, weather conditions, player model special effects, mo'capping, Montana hands on involved in development, TD dances and prioritizing player AI.

Spoiler

Core Franchise Mode, NFL2k5 homage, interactive stadium displays, dynamic weather, utilizing Unreal Engine 4 and was demoed at Super Bowl XLIX (Feb 2015)

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 03-23-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: getting link to work
Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Rookie

nowayout47's Arena

OVR: 0

It is not about providing tools, it is about allowing the community to easily access the files made with the tools. Backbreaker didn't get sued, because they didn't give the game a file share system. You had to either make it all yourself or jumps through hoops to download the file online and to put it back on your Xbox. If Jm16 has a file share system and they don't do a good job of removing NFL files from the database then they will probably get sued for that.

Spoiler

edit: Oh hey that SFL is commentated by that Irvine guy. I remember when he did that NCAA sim league (not using NCAA teams, but using the teambuilder.)

Last edited by nowayout47; 03-23-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Good thread Tj, I agree about people that want to discuss JM16 should have some place to on OS. I got into the stream late, missed the part about Grow saying the customization would be deep but did catch the "change is coming" comment. I had compiled a list of other things revealed by Grow from various places for a thread, maybe you can add them to this one as part of the discussion.
- Concur, operationsports.com is the only place many of us go for information on sports video games. We are not sure why every post about a game we want to discuss was closed. If required, we would be fine with threads being deleting that were not backed by facts (which in this case stated by Damon). Thanks to the OS crew for allowing one thread (whether it's this one or a 'general discussion' one).

- We did see you in the broadcast chat. Deep customization was the big news (actually breaking news) from Damon. As far as 'change is coming', we can't say he was referring to the broadcasters portion of the game or just in general.

- On the customization, 'create a player' goes back decades and many games have allowed you to build your own team. nowayout47 makes a good point about tools vs sharing. Regardless, franchise mode and deep customization is confirmed and in the game. However, it won't matter unless the gameplay is excellent and the graphics/animations are good.

Last edited by tjspeaks; 03-23-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »