Home

Draft Stategy

This is a discussion on Draft Stategy within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Draft Stategy

I just bought this game and I have to admit I'm pretty lost. I've read a couple of walk-throughs and tried a few things but I still haven't figured much out. I would first like to figure out the draft. Is there a good draft strategy? If so what is it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2015, 02:30 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Draft Stategy

My suggestion would be to avoid drafting players with low learning scores, as they generally wont be as good as players with higher learning scores. Depending on how cheaty you want to be, you could look at draft guides to find sleepers, but the AI drafting isn't particularly good anyway so you should have enough of an advantage without looking at them.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowkaga
My suggestion would be to avoid drafting players with low learning scores, as they generally wont be as good as players with higher learning scores. Depending on how cheaty you want to be, you could look at draft guides to find sleepers, but the AI drafting isn't particularly good anyway so you should have enough of an advantage without looking at them.
I don't want to see the future so looking at the draft guides if not for me. How do you suggest setting up my draft board? If I like someone but they are going to go on the 4th round I don't want to be taking then in the 1st.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

I use the reference in the Draft Value Chart thread, post 11. It gives me a good idea of what picks are worth. I'll also occasionally use several other references, like Ebongreen's guide to personalities.

Last edited by Mike3207; 07-03-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM2004
I don't want to see the future so looking at the draft guides if not for me. How do you suggest setting up my draft board? If I like someone but they are going to go on the 4th round I don't want to be taking then in the 1st.
You've got three options: 1. Sim the draft and see where he was taken and take him with the closest pick you have to that. 2. Use Predict the Pick to see where other teams have him on their draft boards and when he starts showing up in the top 5~ish either trade for a pick or take him with a pick you already have. 3. Just take him early. I go with the philosophy that any pick I make is successful as long as the player makes a meaningful contribution to the team.

An interesting thing to keep in mind is that the AI knows who you've scouted and will try to take players that you have scouted before you can, so in the case of a guy who is projected early-mid fourth, he might be taken at the end of the third.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowkaga
You've got three options: 1. Sim the draft and see where he was taken and take him with the closest pick you have to that. 2. Use Predict the Pick to see where other teams have him on their draft boards and when he starts showing up in the top 5~ish either trade for a pick or take him with a pick you already have. 3. Just take him early. I go with the philosophy that any pick I make is successful as long as the player makes a meaningful contribution to the team.

An interesting thing to keep in mind is that the AI knows who you've scouted and will try to take players that you have scouted before you can, so in the case of a guy who is projected early-mid fourth, he might be taken at the end of the third.
This is great advice thank you. How do you know where a player is projected to be drafted?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM2004
This is great advice thank you. How do you know where a player is projected to be drafted?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
A mock draft is done right after the FA period starts. It gives you an idea of where players are expected to go in the draft. It just covers the 1st round though.

Last edited by Mike3207; 07-05-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 AM   #8
Rookie

I can't think of a better way other than checking predict the pick a bunch, which isn't ideal. Alternatively, (and this is totally dependent on your scouting and my own observations) guys who have projected overalls between ~83-99 go in the first round, ~77-83 go in the second, ~72-77 go in the 3rd, and below 72 go 4th or later. This kinda varies based on position and AI scouting evaluation, so its not super accurate but I've used it as my guideline in my playing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »