Home

Is EA NHL Trying to Become the FIFA of Hockey?

This is a discussion on Is EA NHL Trying to Become the FIFA of Hockey? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Is EA NHL Trying to Become the FIFA of Hockey?

Here's my take.

What do you guys think?

A) Is NHL trying to become the FIFA of hockey gaming

and B) Is this good or bad>
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Is EA NHL Trying to Become the FIFA of Hockey?

A) Well, when I compare sports games I look at the quality of gameplay only. Having said that I will say FIFA has the best gameplay out of any sports game on the market. NHL has one of the worst, because it is the hardest to perfect. I am certainly no expert, but from the outside looking in, it seems to me that the NHL series is more difficult to create because of all the physics involved. In FIFA all you have is player and ball physics (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG). Whereas in hockey you have puck, stick, skating physics, and the list goes on.

B) I will say, that the NHL devs could work a lot harder at perfecting the game, but to answer your question NO I do not think they are trying to be like FIFA; And yes this is a good thing for the brand because the NHL developers are trying to set themselves apart from other games because it adds to there own uniqueness.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmutat17
A) Well, when I compare sports games I look at the quality of gameplay only. Having said that I will say FIFA has the best gameplay out of any sports game on the market. NHL has one of the worst, because it is the hardest to perfect. I am certainly no expert, but from the outside looking in, it seems to me that the NHL series is more difficult to create because of all the physics involved. In FIFA all you have is player and ball physics (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG). Whereas in hockey you have puck, stick, skating physics, and the list goes on.

B) I will say, that the NHL devs could work a lot harder at perfecting the game, but to answer your question NO I do not think they are trying to be like FIFA; And yes this is a good thing for the brand because the NHL developers are trying to set themselves apart from other games because it adds to there own uniqueness.
I think it's definitely harder to work with pads and sticks and whatnot with NHL, hence the debate over stick on stick collisions. That being said, I don't think FIFA has the best gameplay out there (as I state in the vid). I think it has very good gameplay, but not the best.

The two dev teams certainly share some coding and styling, it's a question of overall direction imo.

Thanks for watching (maybe like or subscribe )!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmutat17

Honestly, I wish that we had a dislike button on this forum for occasions like this when an opinion couldn't be more wrong. Fifa has the best gameplay on the market? You clearly don't know what you're talking about. As someone who has played every single soccer games since 98, this statement is offensive to my eyes. A perfect case of the grass being greener on the other side. Fifa has poor gameplay that is significantly worse than all other sports games on the market. It doesn't even adequately represent the sport it's trying to emulate. You can make an argument for the game having the best tech of any of the major sports games but gameplay it does not have. No sane soccer fan will testify that fifa 15 is a good game. It's been getting progressively worse and 15 is the worst yet. Of course this is what happens when you don't improve the ai or fix legacy issues and instead spend all your time developing new tech that does not make the gameplay any better.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

If you read the FIFA forums you'll see that the two games have a lot in common:
- Almost no player separation
- Every team plays the same
- No pressure in the middlefield/neutral zone
- every player can do the same thing
- last minute heroics by the CPU
- passive CPU teammates
- lots of emphasis on FUT and EASHL online leagues

So in a lot of ways, I think the NHL team has done well to duplicate FIFA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
If you read the FIFA forums you'll see that the two games have a lot in common:
- Almost no player separation
- Every team plays the same
- No pressure in the middlefield/neutral zone
- every player can do the same thing
- last minute heroics by the CPU
- passive CPU teammates
- lots of emphasis on FUT and EASHL online leagues

So in a lot of ways, I think the NHL team has done well to duplicate FIFA.
In other words garbage and a complete waste of money? Great tip. I was planning to go buy different sport game if EA continue to give us full of crap game, and I was thinking of FIFA. What do you guys prefer...EA or PES?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Won't happen until we get a way for international leagues to integrate into Be A GM. FIFA feels somewhat like a living world in Career/Manager mode, with international competitions and the World Cup to boot. NHL's Be a GM is essentially your NHL and AHL teams in a bubble. Even the CHL is horribly misused.

Last year's PES felt more organic and spontaneous in gameplay. While FIFA continues to shine with its presentation and aspects like last year's Premier League integration, its gameplay's starting to bore me (then again, I've played every yearly iteration and World Cup title since 2005).
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
In other words garbage and a complete waste of money? Great tip. I was planning to go buy different sport game if EA continue to give us full of crap game, and I was thinking of FIFA. What do you guys prefer...EA or PES?
I'm just getting into soccer and soccer games so I doubt I'm a great authority on the subject.
However, I DL'd the FIFA and PES 2015 demo's and thus far I much prefer PES to FIFA.

And from what I've read, PES does an excellent job of representing the different player styles, types as well as team personalities.

The only thing FIFA has over it are exclusive licenses. So PES will have some generic teams, buildings, kits, etc.

But PES has the Champion's League and I've read the Managers Mode is out of this world.

I'll be picking up PES for my sports fix this Fall.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »