Home

How do you get more realistic Block stats?

This is a discussion on How do you get more realistic Block stats? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do you get more realistic Block stats?

I generally sim the regular season and the league leader in blocks has always been around 2.0-2.1. Is there anything I can do to increase these numbers to improve block stats? I already maxed out the block rating on some.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: How do you get more realistic Block stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppya
I generally sim the regular season and the league leader in blocks has always been around 2.0-2.1. Is there anything I can do to increase these numbers to improve block stats? I already maxed out the block rating on some.
Only thing you can do is patiently wait until 2K16 comes out and hope it gets addressed. Raising block ratings, contest shot tendencies, reducing foul tendencies, increasing height & wingspan does nothing. I've tried everything.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Rookie

WishListGOD 1 OF 2's Arena

You dont. The ball has a smaller volume then last years game leaving a small target to hit which is why your hand can go straight through the ball. Also you can block a shot straight on and it moves slightly in air but continues to the rim suggests pre determined flight paths, a must REMOVE. Hope 2k16 brings it on defense.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Rookie

You can't, no matter what you do. It's a flaw in the simulation engine that even with max ratings you'll average a block rate of about 5%, equivalent to about 2-2.5 bpg depending on team pace. No player will ever average more than 3.0 bpg in a simmed season no matter what you do.

The league leading shot blocker is usually over 7% block rate. Hassan Whiteside last season posted a 9.2% block rate, which corresponds to a rating of about 184. If you max him out at 99, he'll get a little over half as many blocks as the real Whitside. I suspect all it would take is a simple number tweak in the formula to make a given block rating produce about 50% more blocks, but this issue has been there since 2k13 and has been pointed out many times. It doesn't seem like the stat simulation engine gets much attention in general, so I wouldn't bet on it changing for 2k16.

Relative to other issues in the stat simulation engine, the blocks aren't even all that bad. Note how Steph Curry averages like 8 rpg, while league leader DeAndre Jordan is usually under 12 rpg. Also note the assist numbers of big men- great passing bigs like Griffin. Cousins, or Marc Gasol will average less than half the assists they ought to. Since the global shot rating reduction in one of the official roster updates, three point shooting is way off now as well. These issues are at least fixable with roster tweaks, but the block issue, unfortunately, is not.

I've done a good bit of research into the sim engine, and may post a detailed guide on my findings in hopes that it'll reach the eyes of someone in a place to make a difference.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Rookie

psyberkayos's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porzingod
but this issue has been there since 2k13 and has been pointed out many times. It doesn't seem like the stat simulation engine gets much attention in general, so I wouldn't bet on it changing for 2k16.

I think this is true. I'm not counting on a fix unless enough of the community continues to get behind it. I know there are big SIMheads already here, but more support couldn't hurt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
MVP

cam21224's Arena

OVR: 12

They definitely need to fix the sim engine along with the physics.

Balls going through hands and limbs of players squander a lot of blocks.

I would like to fear going into the paint against Deandre, Davis etc, as well as be able funnel guys into my shot blocker.

On ball defense, blocks, shading, help defense and overall responsiveness on the defense side needs improvment.

Here's to hoping defense got some love this year.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

I echo this issue. I gave Anthony Davis 42 mpg as a test. Set our defensive style to physical and he still only averaged 2.1 bpg after the season was over
Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Pro

joosegoose's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porzingod
I've done a good bit of research into the sim engine, and may post a detailed guide on my findings in hopes that it'll reach the eyes of someone in a place to make a difference.
Please do! I would be very interested in this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »