Home

Mayweather Vs Berto is official

This is a discussion on Mayweather Vs Berto is official within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Mayweather Vs Berto is official

https://instagram.com/p/5-efeUkv2M/?taken-by=shosports

You know, i'm not really that upset by his opponent(i know a lot of people are gonna bitch about it) but i feel like he's earned an easier fight for his last fight after beating the guy everyone said he was terrified of and would lose to easily, and great boxers have lost to lesser fighters at his age. The problem i have is that this is ppv, like really? I'm probably not paying for that unless they have some kind of crazy stacked undercard. This is almost as bad as algeri vs pacquiao on ppv. They can't be expecting good numbers from this. Might just go see this at the theater.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Mayweather Vs Berto is official

The guy lost 3 out of his last 6 fights. Talk about hand picking your opponent. Gotta be out of your mind to pay for this fight. BTW it won't be his last fight. You can take that to the bank.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

I'd rather sit and watch paint dry than pay for this fight.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 13

This is a PPV fight? I'm surprised he didn't do something like a primetime network fight for his "last" fight....(just like his last "last" fight). I know there's a committed core of Mayweather fans that will just pay to see him regardless, and I'm sure they'll do a hell of a hype job as they always do, but it's hard for me to imagine much buzz for this fight. I'm not even sure Berto is a top-15 welterweight at this point, and he has zero name recognition outside of dedicated fight fans. Also, he's largely been a counter-puncher, and as we all know, there's nothing better than watching two counter-punchers go at it for 12 'action'-packed rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
You can take that to the bank.
Pun intended....
Old 08-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Banned

He won't retire until he gets the all time undefeated record. The modern record post 1900.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

I'd agree that this isn't his last fight. I honestly think he's gonna take a tune up type fight with berto, and then save some better names/fighters for his last fight(s). I've also heard a rumor from a boxing channel i watch that he's considering signing a 3 fight deal.

This fight would be a lot easier to get behind if it was gonna be free like the rumors were saying for a while.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Banned

Money Mayweather. Every nickel.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I know there's a committed core of Mayweather fans that will just pay to see him regardless, and I'm sure they'll do a hell of a hype job as they always do, but it's hard for me to imagine much buzz for this fight. I'm not even sure Berto is a top-15 welterweight at this point, and he has zero name recognition outside of dedicated fight fans. Also, he's largely been a counter-puncher, and as we all know, there's nothing better than watching two counter-punchers go at it for 12 'action'-packed rounds.
The WBC and IBF don't rank Berto in the Top 15, and Ring Magazine ranks him number #22. Without the benefit of a fight both Berto and Josesito Lopez came from out of the WBA Top 15 to number #6 and #7 respectively to set up an "Interim WBA Championship" which Berto won and set him up as....get this....the WBA #1 contender, which he still is.

Timeline:
WBA Rankings, January 17, 2015-Berto and Lopez not in Top 15.
WBA Rankings, February 10, 2015-Berto ranked #6, Lopez #7
WBA Interim Championship Fight-March 13, 2015-Berto KOS Lopez.
WBA Rankings, March 18, 2015-Berto ranked #1 and Lopez falls out of the Top 15.

I think it's possible that Berto was considered as Floyd's swan song a while back.

EDIT: Let's put it this way. Berto or Lopez.

Last edited by JayBee74; 08-04-2015 at 09:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »