Home

What does the "Vision" attribute actually do for a user hitter?

This is a discussion on What does the "Vision" attribute actually do for a user hitter? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5
What does the "Vision" attribute actually do for a user hitter?

I've wondered this for a while, it seems to make a big difference in batting average. I tend to have decent success hitting with a who has 65+ vision regardless of their contact and power attributes.

Just curious what it specifically contributes towards. Better timing on swings? A bigger vision zone? Higher probability of solid contact?

I'd appreciate any insight!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: What does the "Vision" attribute actually do for a user hitter?

Bigger vision zone. Which makes the hitter more likely to make solid contact. Not as much swinging misses.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

When it comes to simming I think it's mostly correlated to strike outs. And to build on what's been said above, it increases the size of your batter's eye, but contact rating is also used to define the solid contact zone. So somebody like Andrelton Simmons who doesn't strike out will have a high vision rating, but his contact will be low because he doesn't make solid contact a whole lot.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #4
Rookie

rschech13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jon
Bigger vision zone. Which makes the hitter more likely to make solid contact. Not as much swinging misses.
I thought this was just based on the hitter's contact rating. Is it based on both stat ratings? I assumed vision ratings were for cpu controlled hitters and their ability to draw walks with more frequency, and plate discipline dictated how likely they are to swing at bad pitches.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschech13
I thought this was just based on the hitter's contact rating. Is it based on both stat ratings? I assumed vision ratings were for cpu controlled hitters and their ability to draw walks with more frequency, and plate discipline dictated how likely they are to swing at bad pitches.

Contact = chance for solid contact. I.e. good hits like line drives, fly balls with good trajectory/carry, grounders with some velocity on them. It's the batting average rating - or, more precisely, the rating that helps govern BABIP.

Vision = chance for the hitter to make contact at all on the pitch. This influences the hitter's contact % when he swings, but has no bearing on quality of contact.

The PCI size is influenced by both, yes, though the results tend to weight one heavier than the other.

A hitter with high contact and low vision will hit the ball hard when he hits it and should carry a good BABIP/productive hits, but is prone to the strike out, especially if he's fooled by the pitch (i.e. your timing/swing plane isn't good enough). Chris Davis for me is an example of this. He has 80 Contact but 40's PVis. Many of his outs are via the strikeout. In my franchise's last season, he hit .306 with a .318 BABIP and struck out 139 times in 577 AB. 34% of the outs he made were via the K and he led the team in K's (and I play every game - so that's all user controlled)

A hitter with low contact and high vision should make contact a lot, but the quality of that contact is likely inconsistent. Instead of a K, he might hit a 4-hopper to the shortstop or an infield fly ball. On the other hand, if contact is needed, like on a hit-and-run or where that 4-hopper scores a guy from 3rd, a high vision batter is the man for the job. Same for sac flies. He might hit a lazy can of corn to the center fielder, but that might be all you're asking for, too. An example of this from my team is fictional Jose Campos (a MLB14 draftee). He struck out just 45 times, but batted only .237.

A hitter with low contact and low vision is a tough guy to deal with. He will probably be very inconsistent as he's not likely to make a lot of contact and the contact he does make might not be good. I picture these guys susceptible to "hot" and "cold" streaks - or a guy that's good as long as things are going his way (hot), but if he falls into a rut, forget about it (cold). I have a guy with 48 Contact and 45 vision and above average power...and he's batting .198 after a solid rookie year (.270).

A hitter with high contact and high vision is a nasty guy to face. You won't get him to K much and when he hits it, it's like a tough ball to defend. These are your consistent high average types unless they get bad luck or are in a deep slump. Heaven help you if he has decent (or better) power as well.

What you mention about chasing pitches is the DISC rating for the CPU. Vision impacts how they place their PCI as well as the size of it. PVis is "countered" by the pitcher's K/9 rating, which is modified by the individual pitch's movement rating.

Basically:
Disc = OSwing % (out of zone swing percentage) - not sure if any pitcher rating "counters" this, perhaps pitch movement?

PVis = Contact % (both in and out of the zone) - "countered" by K/9

Contact = BABIP/solid hit % - "countered" by H/9

Last edited by KBLover; 08-08-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
Rookie

BxBrotha730's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64
I've wondered this for a while, it seems to make a big difference in batting average. I tend to have decent success hitting with a who has 65+ vision regardless of their contact and power attributes.

Just curious what it specifically contributes towards. Better timing on swings? A bigger vision zone? Higher probability of solid contact?

In short terms. The higher your vision the larger the PCI reticle, which can increase the chance of contact.

The lower the vision the smaller the PCI Reticle.

L.S.A Co-Commish (MLB, NFL, NBA) Leagues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #7
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccavs64

It's easier to look at it from the pitcher's perspective.

Hitters have vision, pitcher's have K/9 and movement. All of these factors combine together in order to determine if the hitter can contact the ball on a swing when he misses with the pci. Players with good vision will be more likely to make contact.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:42 AM   #8
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

It doesnt directly equate to higher averages. Contact really is the one attribute that does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Youtube

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »