Home

Chop puck, what's that?

This is a discussion on Chop puck, what's that? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Chop puck, what's that?

By skimming through the skill stick controls on the manual I noticed an R1(hold)+RS combination I never heard in past nhl games. Now, I've tried it in practice, but it seems to me it does nothing more than a saucer pass. Anybody cares to explain what's a chop puck move then and if it's doable in the game as the manual states?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Chop puck, what's that?

I believe the "chop puck" is the animation when you slap at the puck to get it somewhere other than where it's heading.

So, you're not trying to gain control of the puck, just swat it away to somewhere else.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
Rookie

VinceJulien14's Arena

OVR: 0

it happens when you don't have possession of the puck. and you simply "chop" at the puck. usually used when you're racing an opponent to the puck, sometimes chopping it away from both of you is the better play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

You've been able to chop the puck at least since NHL 14.

It's an effective play to avoid a turnover in your own end while chasing the puck with a forechecking forward coming at you. If you need to just move the puck quickly to an area of the ice where you have an open teammate. It's kind of a coarsely aimed loose puck one timer pass.
I'll sometime use it in the neutral zone too if I wanna dump and change quick.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Isn't holding R1+R3 just to freely move your stick on defense or is click it while holding R1?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2015, 12:39 AM   #6
MVP

KleShreen's Arena

OVR: 10

As someone who exclusively plays defense, the chop puck skill has been incredible for me, and it has been in the game for at least two years.

I use it mostly when I am racing someone else for the puck. I'll hold RB/R1 while skating towards the puck and also hold the RS in whatever direction I want to hit the puck to (usually towards a teammate or away from my own net). It is a great play to use when you are going towards a puck and someone from the opposing team is going to hit you at the same time you get to the puck. It will chop the puck out to wherever you need it and it will hopefully go to a teammate rather than you getting hit trying to possess the puck and turning it over.

It is also a great tool to use if there is a scrum in front of the net with a loose puck. Use it to chop the puck away from in front of the goalie. Also good to use in the corners when nobody has possession. You can hold RB/R1 and the RS the whole time and it will do the animation automatically when you get close enough to the puck, you don't have to do it at a certain time.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:01 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

It's a great move when the CPU really starts putting the pressure on and you don't even have time to get control along the backboards and dump it.

Not pretty but highly effective at getting the puck away from dangerous areas.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

Thanks guys for clarifying, I deduce it's improperly listed in the offensive controls, since it's a loose puck move.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »