Home

There is nothing wrong with the CPU on-ball defense. Here are some tips....

This is a discussion on There is nothing wrong with the CPU on-ball defense. Here are some tips.... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Arrow There is nothing wrong with the CPU on-ball defense. Here are some tips....

I love the defense this year. User on-ball, CPU on-ball, A.I. off ball.......everything. Taking this out of 2k16 would be like taking aggressive catching out of Madden 16....it would destroy the identity of the game.

I wish people would stop complaining and just take the time to learn and adjust to the game. Sometimes it won't be instantly. We need to learn patience. Here are some tips I use that are very effective if you want to ISO:

1) Setup the defender with sizeups and hesitations. Hesi's are especially good because they get the CPU leaning to a specific side.

2) Always pay attention to your defender's feet and his body momentum. If you catch a defender shifting/hopping to one side.....that is your cue to attack the other side.

3) Hold R2 during and after a crossover to explode into a drive. The explosion is the most important part of the process and it allows you to get that quick burst needed when your defender commits too much to one side.

The below videos are examples of what I am talking about. Difficulty is on Superstar and its against Paul George, a lockdown defender. Kobe is good but doesn't even have the best ball-handling compared to lots of other guys

SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2015, 03:43 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: There is nothing wrong with the CPU on-ball defense. Here are some tips....

Thank you EarvGotti. That's a thread needed people should stop ranting to make the game cheesier and start paying attention to basketball basics. This game is deep all you need is practice practice and practice some more. These tips will be helpful. I hope that devs don't touch to anything as the game plays out perfectly balanced on both offense and defense this year.
Thanks to community guys Czar and Scot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2015, 03:56 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

Just because you can show instances where it's possible to beat the CPU DOESN'T mean there aren't instances where the CPU defense cheats or warps. Especially when there is plenty of video that clearly show instances where there IS something wrong with CPU defense.

Fixing the issues that exist while keeping defense challenging should be the goal. That will NOT be served by denial of the existing issues.

And the desire to address clear problems should not be drowned under assertions that those who want the game to look and feel more like actual basketball just want cheese. Though this is true of some that don't like the current defense, it's not true of all. I think the implication of that across the board is somewhat unfair. And ignoring clear evidence of the problem does not serve sim play.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-29-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 AM   #4
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0

Yes there is something wrong with CPU defense. Many have posted video proof already. http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/LBx6IX/video/10612061 look at my defender slide to get in front of me. This is on All-Star sim by the way. It's unrealistic and defies the new foot planting system. The warping and sliding need to go. The CPU defense would be fine if they fixed those things.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 AM   #5
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Just because you can show instances where it's possible to beat the CPU DOESN'T mean there aren't instances where the CPU defense cheats or warps. Especially when there is plenty of video that clearly show instances where there IS something wrong with CPU defense.

Fixing the issues that exist while keeping defense challenging should be the goal. That will NOT be served by denial of the existing issues.

And the desire to address clear problems should not be drowned under assertions that those who want the game to look and feel more like actual basketball just want cheese. Though this is true of some that don't like the current defense, it's not true of all. I think the implication of that across the board is somewhat unfair. And ignoring clear evidence of the problem does not serve sim play.

THANK YOU! So sick of the stick skills and practice talk when the warping and sliding BS is evident and has been proven with video evidence.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

I think this is as challenging as its ever been.

I still think that some bad defenders can be a bit sticky, and the riding the hip animation should be utilised more.

Watch the NBA and you'll rarely see these iso blow bys.

This is as close to basketball as a video game has ever got. If there is an open lane take it. Don;t waggle the sticks for 15 seconds.

Use screens well. Get as close to the screener as possible, dont let the defender blow it up.

If they drop back, take the jumper.

Get nothing? Go into a postup, try a quick spin.

Learn your plays.

I have not mastered the game. I still give away 4-6 possessions per game because I dont get a good shot. I play as the Mavs and I basically have no iso players. I think Williams, Parsons and Matthews all have speed/acceleration ratings in thew 60s, maybe Harris and Barea in the 70s. It's challenging but rewarding.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
THANK YOU! So sick of the stick skills and practice talk when the warping and sliding BS is evident and has been proven with video evidence.

Doesn't happen all the time though. Yeah there are some instances where it happens and it needs to be cleaned up but sometimes it's also the user's fault.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #8
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Doesn't happen all the time though. Yeah there are some instances where it happens and it needs to be cleaned up but sometimes it's also the user's fault.

We're not saying it happens all the time. We're not even complaining it's too hard. What we're saying is, it happens, it shouldn't happen.

It's unrealistic, ugly looking and just plain cheesy by the AI. I had Aaron brooks sticking to D Rose earlier like glue. But it wasn't the fact that he was playing good D, it was how it happened.

Literally shuffling and sliding his feet from side to side to warp and stay in front of me with the speed and quickness that no human being should posses. I promise you at one point he WARPED directly under a screen, "shuffled" his feet (AKA his feet doesn't hit the ground, he just glides from side to side) . I could not believe it when I saw it.

This crutch they gave the AI on defense with this sliding and warping is inexcusable. Make defense hard, I love a challenge, but do it in a way that's realistic, not in a way that reminds me I'm playing a freaking video game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »