Home

Let's Test NHL 16

This is a discussion on Let's Test NHL 16 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Let's Test NHL 16

How much does X affect Y? How will the gameplay be affected if X turns into X+1? This thread will channel my series of (mostly gameplay) tests on NHL 16, in the hope that people use it to improve their own game play and perhaps even more than that.

Slider Effectiveness List
Injuries: Works (Tested CPU & Human)
Wrist/Slap Shot Power: Works (Tested CPU and Human)

Test 1: Passing Accuracy Slider
Spoiler

Test 2: Player Separation Over an 82-Game Season
Spoiler

Let me know what you think I should test next.

Disclaimer: by all means, take these tests with a grain of salt. I encourage you to do your own tests and post them here. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with what I've posted, and don't hesitate to post those disagreements. Remember, however, that I am not making these tests with an agenda. I, like you, want the best possible NHL game.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 10-12-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2015, 01:47 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 0
Re: Let's Test NHL 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
How much does X affect Y? How will the gameplay be affected if X turns into X+1? This thread will channel my series of (mostly gameplay) tests on NHL 16, in the hope that people use it to improve their own game play and perhaps even more than that.

Test 1: Passing Accuracy Slider
Let's use tonight's matchup, Senators (CPU) at Leafs. For this test, we'll play a series of three games on all default AS/Hardcore sliders (5 minute periods), with one change: in game 1, the passing accuracy sliders will be minimized; game 2 will have the passing accuracy slider maxed; game 3 will have the passing accuracy slider at default.

Game 1: Passing Slider Accuracy Minimized (CPU and Human)
Senators Passing %: 76
Leafs Passing %: 61
Notes: I played poorly. Tried to force some passes, as I fell down early and stayed down (lost 4-0). CPU missed some passes they probably should have made, but also made some of their trademark incredible passes.

Game 2: Passing Slider Accuracy Maximized (CPU and Human)
Senators Passing %: 81
Leafs Passing %: 54
Notes: I played about the same skill level in this one, losing 5-1. My main defensive troubles came with my piss-poor defensive AI, which left men open in the slot left and right... and a shaky, shaky netminder.

Game 3: Passing Sliders in the Middle (CPU and Human)
Senators Passing %: 71
Leafs Passing %: 62
Notes: I played well this game, winning 2-1. It was a solid game overall, but the Senators' lone goal came on a hella-lucky pass through 3 defensemen.

Let me know what you think I should test next.

Disclaimer: by all means, take these tests with a grain of salt. I encourage you to do your own tests and post them here. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with what I've posted, and don't hesitate to post those disagreements. Remember, however, that I am not making these tests with an agenda. I, like you, want the best possible NHL game.

Interesting while I know sports games not ever game is going to be the same has the game before the fact that u had a high pass % with the pass slider at zero then it did with the slider max just shouldn't happen ever! With the slider at zero passes should be all over the place. With the slider at max they should be like tap to tap. Do they even keep track of pass % in real hockey? I really only watch the sharks in hockey more causal hockey guy but I know the puck is miss handled way more in real life then you see in this game.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

This one single test is further evidence that sliders do virtually nothing. Look at CPU passing:

76% on minimum
81% on maximum
71% on default

It's an overall differential of 10% and does not reflect the sliders from lowest to highest. The differential appears to come from how the user plays as the the game where user played best the CPU had the lowest %.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

It seems to me that the base programming decides when and just how much your slider input will have an effect. Ie, sliders ignored at times to try to force a certain outcome. Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

I ran a second test for more of a direct comparison between Max and Min passing accuracy. 4 minute periods, same other settings as before.

Game 1: Leafs @ Blue Jackets (Passing Accuracy Minimized)
Leafs (Human) Passing %: 59
Blue Jackets (CPU) Passing %: 75
Notes: A solid 3-1 win by me, a very nice dirty-area goal from Arcobello to seal it.

Game 2: Leafs @ Blue Jackets (Passing Accuracy Maximized)
Leafs Passing %: 62
Blue Jackets Passing %: 79
Notes: Also a solid game, a 2-1 loss. I had some really good cycling but couldn't capitalize enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OK you inspired me to do a test of my own and learned some very interesting things. I lowered all but a few sliders to the minimum (0) and I'm posting the results of what I saw different as opposed to the regular sliders I use and default sliders;

First lets start with the sliders I used.

Everything at zero except the following

Attribute Effect 5
Game Speed 2
Player Acceleration 3
Pass assist 5
Pass speed 2
Faceoff Difficulty 3
Shot Power 3
Slap shot power 4

Game results of NYR (Me) vs Flyers (CPU) 10 minute periods Superstar/Custom

Score: Flyers 10 NYR 2 (The CPU was unstoppable juggernaut)
Shots: Flyers 56 NYR 30
Hits: Flyers 14 NYR 26
Pass% Flyers 74% NYR 66%
PP Flyers 2/4 NYR 0/0

The other stuff was irrelevant

Summary

The game had a few good things to like. there were a lot of loose pucks and missed passes, but the CPU still had those Superhuman nothing you can do to stop us moments.

Sliders that had absolutely zero to little difference on minimum as opposed to default or the sliders I use

Fatigue Effect: This seemed to do nothing to the performance of the CPU but had a slight effect on human controlled players. Mainly a placebo slider

Puck Control: HUMAN ONLY, even at zero the CPU still knocked you right off the puck same as default or my sliders. CPU was tougher but I saw more loose pucks overall.

Hitting Assistance and Hit Power: I was able to hit exactly like any other game I played on Default or my usual sliders. As did the CPU

Aggression: At zero I saw very little decline in the Aggressiveness of the CPU players on both sides.

Poke Effectiveness: Saw no difference in poke checking on zero as a well timed poke still knocked the puck away. Spamming however did not increase your chances.

Stick Lift Effectiveness: Same as Poke Check except I noticed the CPU just didn't really attempt it too much.

Pass Accuracy: CPU ONLY, tape to tape passing was no problem at zero for the CPU and when they went into superhuman mode it was tic tac toe goal....every time

Pass Interception: CPU ONLY, even at zero the CPU picked off a ton of my passes.

Pass Reception Ease: CPU ONLY, I did see more loose pucks and some miss handled passes but as with pass accuracy the CPU would put together plenty of tape to tape magnetic passes.

Goalie Reaction Speed: Saw very little difference in how the goalies played. I did give up 10 goals but I think that had to do with the huge differential you can see above in how sliders effect the Human over the CPU. I only scored 2 goals on 26 shots so the CPU goalie did just fine.

As you can see a large amount of very important sliders have very little to no impact on the game, mainly how the CPU plays and performs.

Sliders that actually had an impact on zero:

Fatigue Recovery: Both sides fatigue levels went down and on zero to low red for all lines and were unable to go back up, however this seemed to have no impact on the performance of the CPU team what so ever so it could easily have been listed in sliders that do nothing CPU ONLY

NEXT UP: All the sliders I tried at zero I will try at MAX and I will post my results and I suspect the list of sliders that do nothing to little in this game will increase. This game basically has a built in CPU AI which I think are the EA tuners and all the tweaking in the world will net you little results with sliders that are merely their to try and make us feel warm and fuzzy. Were on to you EA......

Last edited by jake19ny; 10-11-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Good stuff Jake! One thing I heavily recommend, though, is that experiments have more weight with more controlled variables. We don't know how X variable affects Y, so that's why experiments only changing one variable (slider) are a little more soundproof.

But by all means, keep posting that experiment! Looking forward to see what you get.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Good stuff Jake! One thing I heavily recommend, though, is that experiments have more weight with more controlled variables. We don't know how X variable affects Y, so that's why experiments only changing one variable (slider) are a little more soundproof.

But by all means, keep posting that experiment! Looking forward to see what you get.
I get what your saying and I can almost tell which sliders interact with each other by doing this but your right a more accurate way is one slider at a time. Not sure I have the patience for that LOL. Over all I saw very little difference in the CPU in my game played with sliders minimized and I suspect I will see little difference with sliders maximized meaning they do very little to nothing. Your passing experiment is showing the same. Looking forward to your next one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »