Home

NBA 2K16 Patch #3 Should be Submitted to Sony & MS This Week, Some Details Revealed

This is a discussion on NBA 2K16 Patch #3 Should be Submitted to Sony & MS This Week, Some Details Revealed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Pro

Jhawkfootball06's Arena

OVR: 2
NBA 2K16 Patch #3 Should be Submitted to Sony & MS This Week, Some Details Revealed

NBA 2K Gameplay Director, Mike Wang has been answering questions in various threads in the NBA 2K Forum, so I thought I'd gather them all here, for convenience.

As always, once patches are submitted to MS and Sony, it typically takes 10 to 14 days to become available (usually longer for MS).

Patch 3 Changes

Q: When will the third patch be released?
A: It should be finished this week... Then off to MS and Sony

Q: CPU being overpowered in Pro-Am.
A: This will be addressed in patch 3.

Q: Are blocks being addressed?
A: We're just nerfing poorly rated shot blockers so guys like JJ Redick aren't throwing shots like Lebron.
A: Blocks are being addressed in Patch 3.

Q: Is there a chance we could see stationary stepbacks and step shots get a healthy boost (especially when open) for the players that can do them (or have high ratings and relevant badges)?
A: This one's tricky, Sundown. Currently, standing stepback jumpers are treated the same as other "skill" shots like spin jumpers and pull-up J's. So to fix zig-zagging pull-ups, all of these shots took a pretty big hit. I need to put standing stepbacks in a separate category to be able to boost JUST those shot types, so it's something that we'd have to address in the patch. I'll investigate that today.

Q: Does shooting and Patch 3 tweaks apply in already in progress MyCareers?
A: Yes. They apply everywhere.

Q: Regarding stepback jumpers.
A: I think we have a solution for Patch 3. Until then, it's kind of hacky, but there is a workaround. If you hold LS away, tap Shoot to do the stepback jumper, but then pause for a brief moment (technically, breaking out of the shot to a live dribble, then shooting immediately after) rather than doing it as a Tap+Press&Hold mechanic, you can still create space with the stepback and then branch into the shot portion without incurring the penalty.

Q: Getting an off balance "contested" shot when you don't complete your dribble.
A: It will be patched.
A: Yes, this is what I was referring to when I said it will be patched. Guys playing fadeaway contested anims at inappropriate times. The defensive threshold to trigger those shot animations is just way too low. Nothing is changing with shot percentages... it's just an aesthetic change.

Q: Gameplay updates.
A: We've made a number of significant gameplay fixes for this 3rd patch and my time has been swamped trying to test and balance gameplay before it goes out the door, while also starting new designs and feature work on 2k17. So as much as I'd love to mess with you guys by tweaking the game every day, that's simply not a good use of time.

Shooting Changes

Q: Contested shots at the rim.
A: The change I made only impacts contact shots. Across the board, you should see those drop less. But you can tell by the animation, if the collision looks heavy (defender noticeably knocking the shooter off balance for example), the shot % gets dropped much lower than if the collision looks light (shooter is getting hit by the defender but his layup looks relatively undisturbed.)

Q: What constitutes an "excellent shooter" for these wide open 3 %s you've adjusted?
A: I don't want to give away how our shot heuristics work, but basically, anybody above a 75 rating would see a slight increase in wide open 3's since Saturday. The higher the rating, the bigger the increase. But again, the boost was pretty conservative.

Q: Contested threes.
A: Yeah, I didn't touch contested 3s at all. I can make a tweak there as well if you guys all feel it's a problem. Seems like most people are seeing plenty of bricks on well contested 3s though, so it's a little scary to hit them even harder. It's also possible that what you're perceiving as a well contested 3, is actually considered open as far as the game is concerned. That would change how I go about fixing your issue.

Q: What did the two shooting updates do?
A: The two updates mentioned by bcruise are the only shot % updates made to date. The first was to lower middies, the second to lower contact layups. I have noticed a significant increase in 3pt success since day 1 (primarily in the park), but I attribute that mostly to you guys getting better at the game and your players' leveling up over time.

Roster Updates

Q: Is there any type of live DNA updating that affects players day-to-day based on NBA day-to-day activities?
A: Mike Stauffer is our roster guy and is making regular updates, yes.

Other Updates

Q: Deadeye badge in NBA 2K16 compared to last year.
A: Deadeye was way too OP last year, essentially it made the game think that closing defenders were not there at all. It's still one of the strongest shooting badges, but we did have to neutralize it a bit.
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One

Last edited by Jhawkfootball06; 11-05-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Unofficial Mike Wang Q/A - Patch 3 Changes And More

You the real MVP for putting this together
Old 11-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Pro

sandmac's Arena

OVR: 3
Unofficial Mike Wang Q/A - Patch 3 Changes And More

More non-shooting fouls PLEASE!

Or at least tell us what triggers calls.

Specifically Loose ball and Over the back.

Also the screens set in this game are VERY heavy and illegal but NO fouls called. Please tune these to whistle more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by sandmac; 11-05-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14

Did mike respond to any of the transition defense posts. Thats the main issue for me i would like to see some improvements in.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Good job compiling all of these and including links to each source answer. Must have taken a long time.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Pro

Crystar500's Arena

OVR: 0

Everything's fine for me at the moment. I just wanna know when the Player Lock and Summer League in MyLeague will be patched.

For those who don't know, Player Lock is supposed to function like Creating a Legend, where the game simulates ahead whenever the player of your choosing is subbed out. It currently doesn't - it instead makes you control the entire team on offense, and the same position on defense when your player is subbed out. Can't wait for it to be fixed. Nice alternative to MyCareer, and it presents itself as a game mode within a game mode.

The Summer League sometimes plays games in the "Home" team's arena instead of in Vegas or Orlando. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Other than that, nothing has bothered me really. The guys did an excellent job this year.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Pro

ArePark and Rec matchups being fixed by position weight and height like last year or nah????? That's really all I care about.

It's good to acknowledge he's seen a significant increase in 3s at the park. I've been saying this. But I don't think it's really ppl getting better tbh. I've been playing 88s since day 1. Max jumper guys lol. Maybe it is ppl getting timing down but I still see a lot of contested 3s go down. Played stage last night and guys were hitting half court 3s. But really all I care about is matchups at this point. And getting blocked by guys with eraser just because they have eraser.

I'm 7'3 so if I have a guy pinned under the hoop going up for a dunk there's no way he should be able to block me thru my body because he has a badge. Hopefully that's toned down.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
Did mike respond to any of the transition defense posts. Thats the main issue for me i would like to see some improvements in.
This, especially for MyCareer players, is probably the biggest issue. Transition defense and CPU defense in general is terrible.

Also, are they going to patch the unrealistic flopping animations?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »