Home

Throwing Picks

This is a discussion on Throwing Picks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Throwing Picks

So I stopped being a lil b**** and did a dynasty with a lvl 3 coach. I took over Hawaii as "Colt Brennan" and simmed the first season except to recruit. I am trying to run the run and shoot, but I am throwing so many picks. I consider myself a decent NCAA player. I can win 95% of games against the computer if I run a balanced, run heavy, or even slight passing offense, Whenever I go to an all out air raid or run and shoot I seem to throw a lot of picks. Some are even safe throws, some of BS picks where my receivers drop it. Any tips or help? It could be simply turning the interception slider down, but I don't want to have to do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Throwing Picks

It can be tough, I throw a lot of mine to the same part of the field, I love working the 12 yard zone buster plays against zone where a guy goes deep, a guy goes short, and another breaks into the area between them. The only problem is the CPU is great at jamming the hell out of the short guy, and then running back incredibly quick to pick that pass off. I have no idea where you're throwing yours, might be a good idea to throw that info in. But here are some ideas

- know the drop and all the progressions for the passing plays you're going to use. I say this because if it's a 7 step drop and you're trying to get rid of the ball at 4, it's going to come out without anything on it and the QB falling backward, those get picked a lot.

- Get a few short pass plays that you feel comfortable with the reads and run them each a couple of times a game. As we know, the short passes are VERY dangerous in NCAA, but it's important to be able to run these quick plays and keep the chains moving, these lead to the plays that break out.

- Be willing to take a sack if nothing's open. Be willing to punt. I guess I'm saying let the numbers come to you, sometimes this will result in low scoring games, but that's fun too.

- the run and shoot is going to be challenging, those option routes never seem to work right, I have very intelligent players running the wrong route more often than not when it's an option. the TE stick option and things like that seem to be fine but those true options take a lot of work to be good at. Just practice or maybe not going true run and shoot. The air raid may be more suited to what you want, they love to run two back sets with both guys having good hands running wheels to keep the defense honest and the middle open.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Rookie

falcor1234's Arena

i used to have the same problem with throwing ints. what helped me out is using the check down receiver. whenever i wasnt sure about it i would just dump it off to the back in the flat pick up a few yards and move on to the next play. i used to throw 2 or 3 picks a game but when i started utilizing the check down it cut my picks down to where i could go 2 or 3 games without throwing one.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
Rookie

RyanXGrindle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnaked
So I stopped being a lil b**** and did a dynasty with a lvl 3 coach. I took over Hawaii as "Colt Brennan" and simmed the first season except to recruit. I am trying to run the run and shoot, but I am throwing so many picks. I consider myself a decent NCAA player. I can win 95% of games against the computer if I run a balanced, run heavy, or even slight passing offense, Whenever I go to an all out air raid or run and shoot I seem to throw a lot of picks. Some are even safe throws, some of BS picks where my receivers drop it. Any tips or help? It could be simply turning the interception slider down, but I don't want to have to do that.

Because of how much I play NCAA I have had to reinvent myself several times. I traditionally run a pro style offense leaning towards run heavy. As I played more and more I went to a triple option mostly out of flexbone formations. After that I got to where you are now, I started throwing the ball all over the filed, and would sometimes throw 4 or 5 picks a game. All of the above stuff about check downs, and knowing your plays is on the money. That stuff will cut down a lot on throwing INTs. I would also say to you that you can put up great passing numbers while still running the ball 10-20 times a game. I left the air raid style for al little more balanced Oregon style spread option game. I will tell you this, I am putting up the same great numbers passing as I was on good games throwing it 65 times because I don't kill drive after 2 plays by throwing a pick. Use your runs (option, or regular) and screens to set up throws down the field. The computer is only going to let you torch them so many plays in a row before it "figures out" what's going on, so switch it up.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Rookie

1. I use the OS community sliders and the thing that I have learned is that you have to run the ball. Its not even necessary to be effective running the ball, you just can't let the defense drop back into a shell because their safeties and linebackers will get to everything over the middle and the corners will get to anything outside.

2. Its also important to run a variety of routes too. My favorite route is a post with the slot receiver but if I run it too often the computer takes it away. It's frustrating but it is great, it makes me expand the playbook. It also makes me put consideration into the dummy routes I run. I let my outside receivers run a lot of fly patterns early in the game with no intention of throwing to them because it backs up coverage and opens up the curl later in the game. Then when they get wise to the curl I can burn them with a double move. It's really cool how strategic the passing game can be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

A true June Jones-style run and shoot, as opposed to an air raid offense is a lot more balanced than people realize. If you look at the Colt Brennan era, Hawaii still ran the ball 30-35% of the time. The early-90s era Houston Oilers ran it around the same percentage (even a tad higher).

So, don't be afraid to pound the rock with your run game....
Old 11-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
Banned

I know exactly what you are talking about. The run and shoot is awesome and is terrible at times on this game. It's annoying. I do not know why they mess up the option routes as much as they do. I studied up on the shoot to attempt to attack defenses on the game. Deciding their routes pre snap. Doesn't have the same effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
Just started!

The computer is only going to let you torch them so many plays in a row before it "figures out" what's going on, so switch it up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »