Home

interesting router question or 2 for discussion.

This is a discussion on interesting router question or 2 for discussion. within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
interesting router question or 2 for discussion.

When I performed an internet speed test while being hard wired directly into my modem, I got speeds of 90 mbps for downloads and 12 mbps for uploads.

When I performed the same speed test while being hard wired into my router, I got nearly the same results at around 86 mbps and 12mbps.

When I performed a speed test while running off of wifi, I got speeds of 49 mbps and 12 mbps. Is this normal to be this low (49 mpbs) when running through wifi? Is 49 mbps of download speeds considered slow?

Yesterday, when I noticed that we had speed issues, our speed rates running off of wifi was at 23 mbps and .200 mbps, respectively. It was super slow at 23mbps but then I upgraded our firmware and reset the router but hitting the tiny reset button.

Finally, I'd love to know what you're doing to secure your network beyond a strong login and password so that I can go into my router and do the same.

My setup: Router is the R6300 by Netgear and the modem is a Motorolla SB141
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: interesting router question or 2 for discussion.

Well, I'll tell you what my cable provider senior installer said, "Wifi is for convenience". He also mentioned that anything over 20 is perfectly fine for browsing and the like, but when you start to load wifi with streaming, gaming, etc., it's not ideal for that. It's best to be hard wired.

One thing I've been considering is purchasing MoCA bridges which runs your internet signal through existing coax cables that you probably already have wired throughout your house. The tech indicated that these bridges send the internet signal at a different frequency, however, the signal strength has little to no loss. Then you can run a Cat5 cord from the MoCA bridge unit to your gaming or media streaming device. Right now I'm using WD FireWire boxes which run a signal through my electric outlets, but its not as strong and electric wires are unshielded, opening up the signal to a lot of interference.

Personally, I'm looking for a reasonably priced router with better push of my WiFi signal than my current Linksys Cisco EA 2700.

As far as security, you want to set up in your router's UI screen wifi security by choosing the tab in your wireless security area and choose WPA Personal (or personal mixed); it should then prompt you to put in your WPA shared key (the password for your wireless devices to connect to your router). This will make your router private for only those knowing this pw.

Last edited by daflyboys; 01-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

1) The slight step down in speed between router or modem is nothing to stress over.

2) Wifi speeds are volatile just from the nature of how they are received. So your wifi speeds I wouldn't stress either, you are getting plenty down.

3) I run a stronger than required network in my home and its most likely stupid but I do it anyway.
  • SSID Disabled
  • Strong Admin Password
  • Separated 2.4 and 5.0ghz network passwords
  • MAC address filtering (No device can connect unless the MAC address is added to the router explicit allow list)
  • As you can see why I say its stupid, the first three don't matter because you couldn't connect if you wanted by password or seeing the SSID because I'm using MAC filtering. So its redundant, but I'm doing it anyway lol

Last edited by Phobia; 01-08-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Like Phobia said it's not that uncommon. The only thing about Wifi speed that pisses me off is downloading updates/games on the PS4. The XB1 isn't that bad but I had to buy a long ethernet cord to dl large files on the PS4 because I got too impatient.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
The Magic

zasbury25's Arena

OVR: 10

When comparing wired internet speeds to Wifi, remember that radio congestion, signal strength (or distance from the router), interference from other devices, signal obstacles (walls, floors, etc), and the device you are using to connect to the router all contribute to the degradation/differences of WiFi speed. Seeing a speedtest result on WiFi that is half of your wired connection would not be abnormal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Solid responses, thank you.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Even with your WiFi speed being slower, it's still blazing fast. Netflix only needs 5 Mbps to stream in HD, and only 25 Mbps to stream 4K. You are getting speeds that are probably faster than what most Americans had 2 years ago, and even now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »