Home

Where Are the Tennis Games?

This is a discussion on Where Are the Tennis Games? within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Where Are the Tennis Games?

The sports gaming season is quickly approaching. We’ve got two hotly anticipated titles releasing this March in the form of EA Sports UFC 2 and MLB The Show 16. Golf and hockey have returned in very real ways. There are even sports that have multiple publishers vying for consumer dollars. What an exciting time to own a console.

But where's the love for tennis games?

The only place to play tennis on the current generation of consoles is in the parks, homes and country clubs of Los Santos in Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto V. It’s a very passable representation of the sport, but I would rather my post-match decisions dealt with upgrading my attributes rather than deciding what car to steal.

The last tennis simulation to appear on consoles was 2K Sports’ Top Spin 4 way back in 2011. It was critically acclaimed and 2K Czech won many awards for their efforts. So why are we five years removed with still no tennis game on the horizon? It seems to me that the problem is twofold: Tennis games don’t sell well, and development costs are very high.

Read More - Where Are the Tennis Games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
The problem is the game will probably be 60 bucks. I would be willing to pay maybe 20. I just feel like tennis games can't be enjoyed for along period of time like other sports games are. It's to one dimensional.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
The problem is the game will probably be 60 bucks. I would be willing to pay maybe 20. I just feel like tennis games can't be enjoyed for along period of time like other sports games are. It's to one dimensional.
I'd gladly pay 60 bucks for a new Top Spin, it's pretty much the only reason I boot up my Xbox 360 anymore.

I want to see Big Ant Studios give it a try. They're making games based on cricket and lacrosse that don't need a great deal of licensing as they've got clever customization features to get around it.

To be honest, I could deal with a lack of tennis games if Top Spin 4 was made backwards compatible on Xbox One.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
Rookie

detroitlions12's Arena

I would definitely buy one. Tennis is one of my favorite sports to watch as I just love the cat and mouse game that happens throughout the match. I've been wondering if there would be a tennis game on this generation of console for awhile, I hope it happens.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Rookie

KennyJ1976's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
I'm guessing you never played Top Spin 4. I'm not the biggest tennis fan in the world but Top Spin 4 was a very exciting and challenging game. The career mode was pretty good but what I enjoyed most was playing real life competition in a gruelling 5 set match. All I felt was missing was commentary, a couple of more pros, and of course a licensed Wimbledon. I can't speak for Grand Slam Tennis, but Top Spin 5, if improved over 4, would definitely be worth a $60 purchase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Rookie

I still love Top Spin 4! I would absolutely buy a new next gen good tennis game.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4
You're leaving out the most important word:

Licensing

The costs to license any real players, tournaments, and stadiums/courts (like Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, for example) are extraordinarily high. You'd have to spend millions of dollars with all of those entities before you even begin building the game, and that's why we don't see - and never will see - another big-time tennis game again.

No one would buy an unlicensed tennis game, and no one can afford the costs for the license when you combine the costs of development to create something new on the new PS4/Xbox One console generation.

Heck, the last licensed tennis game was Grand Slam by EA, which had all the licensed big-time tournaments and a small, but powerful, group of real players. It sold terribly, and will never be heard from again.

So they're gone, and they're never coming back. Which is a shame, but the sport and the industry have done this to themselves.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgrisham
You're leaving out the most important word:

Licensing

The costs to license any real players, tournaments, and stadiums/courts (like Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, for example) are extraordinarily high. You'd have to spend millions of dollars with all of those entities before you even begin building the game, and that's why we don't see - and never will see - another big-time tennis game again.

No one would buy an unlicensed tennis game, and no one can afford the costs for the license when you combine the costs of development to create something new on the new PS4/Xbox One console generation.

Heck, the last licensed tennis game was Grand Slam by EA, which had all the licensed big-time tournaments and a small, but powerful, group of real players. It sold terribly, and will never be heard from again.

So they're gone, and they're never coming back. Which is a shame, but the sport and the industry have done this to themselves.
Gst sold badly because it was a bad game. Top Spin from what I recall sold decently globally and still has a community that plays it online to this day.

The best route would be an independent developer allowing user generated courts and content if licencing fees are too much of an issue, ala The Golf Club. Every argument you use for tennis can be used for golf tenfold, yet TGC has a loyal following because it's a GOOD GAME. Bottom line is if there was a developer willing to make a great tennis game for real tennis fans and not just a money grab for casuals, it would sell and have a following.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »