Home

FIFA Career Mode Improvements & Discussion

This is a discussion on FIFA Career Mode Improvements & Discussion within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2016, 03:07 AM   #1
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7
FIFA Career Mode Improvements & Discussion

With FIFA 17 mostly halfway through it's development cycle by now, there's still a hope that the next iteration of Fifa shines some much needed love on it's outdated manager mode. I have always been a sim style Dynasty/Association/MyLeague/Connected Career player, and there is so much room for growth in the FIFA series as far as those modes go!.This is not a "Rant" thread or a thread for you to vent your frustrations, This thread will be a constant update of ideas and additions we hope too see in future games, let's keep this thread positive and constructive, as we venting our frustrations has achieved us nothing so far.

Please do not post if you just want to vent the EA only focus is FUT, yes...we know that already, FUT has obviously been a big focus of the development cycle over the last few years, and the truth is the money that EA makes on FUT probably helps cover the Premier League and Bundesliga presentations.
Please do not post if your also going to just run down the development team at EA, they are people too, so let's be better than that!.

Video games are basically a series of codes and numbers that reflect what we see on our screen, and after much discussion over in the 2k forums, and the "Sim Nation" movement going on over there, it's easy too see why NBA 2k is the kind of Career mode so a lot of my ideas will come from my experience with the NBA 2k series, I am by no means a Football expert or a Video game programmer, but after researching and listening to many podcasts I can say Video Games aren't easy to make!... New features take time to incorporate, articulate, engineer, and cost many hours of a development cycle, keeping all that in mind, Let's get some discussion and ideas going, so hopefully we can move this game forward.

MANAGER TERMINATION/ BOARD GOALS
There's absolutely nothing fun or enjoyable about being terminated in any regard let alone a video game FIFA, There's also nothing fun about sinking countless hours into a team only to be sacked at the end of the season because you didn't qualify for Champions League or your newly promoted lower league team didn't finish mid-table, whether your star player is injured or your young up and coming squad just isn't ready as it stands in FIFA, if you don't reach the goal of the governing board, your contract will be terminated and you will get to choose too continue on with a new team you have little investment in.

A simple way too fix this would be too add an option to turn manager firing off, with that said, there is an element of achieving goals that could produce a more positive and enjoyable way too play career mode. Adding a checklist of goals too achieve for more funds in the transfer windows is an option, An example is being reach Europa League or Champions League will add a certain amount of guaranteed funds and revenue for next season, or a significant raise in funds for promotion is more than logical.

STADIUM UPGRADES AND REVENUE EARNING
Adding to the transfer budget through team success is one way, adding revenue for the club too build upgrades, and add better staff too eventually earn those achievements is another way i'd like too see FIFA incorporate.
The general club building process is foundation on which any Football club is built on, Being able to have the ability to be able to add upgrades to the stadiums or refurbishments, or possibly a relocation, through RPG type dialogue with the board and fans input would be a great addition.
A balanced approach would need to be put in place to not take away from authenticity of the game, It would be a good challenge and incentive for user's to choose a lower ranked club and try to build the club and it's supporter base, turning tickets and mercy sales into eventual stadium or staff upgrades, of course no success, means less revenue, meaning a slower trip on your road to glory!

Adding the option to also please fans with ticket/merchandise sales is another untouched item by FIFA, Finding the balance of getting people through the gates and having a successful/entertaining side should also play a part in the revenue factor. Ticket prices could fluctuate from season to season depending on the current state of the squad, maybe a not so successful season has a reduction on ticket sales keeping fans at bay, but therefore less money in the budget for stadium upgrades, resulting in star players not wanting to come to your club which isn't quiet on par with the big clubs etc. It adds a real challenge to the user to try and build and maintain a strong club and supporter base and gives a purpose to play the game and put together a winning squad as opposed to trying to buy a bunch of players with high overall ratings.

The current transfer perk unlock from the FIFA store catalogue feels cheap, and almost feels like cheating your way to the top by adding millions in the budget with one click!, sure some people like the streamlined approach, but adding elements and options to earn, and learn and progress can always be done in an engaging fun way keeping the user always pushing to improve to get that upgrade.

PLAYER TRAINING, GROWTH AND YOUTH ACADEMY
Personally, I liked the new training player option in FIFA 16, it allowed you too improve certain skills of certain players as opposed to previous FIFA games, where growth was solely determined by an potential overall. The ability to play the drills and potentially gain a better result is great example of reward for achieving, and felt the system was pretty well balanced overall. A simulate drill option is also an option for players who don't mind sacrificing some player growth to progress through there season.

However, there is still much room for improvement and additions, Player growth could be determined by a number a factors, touching back on the revenue/upgrade idea maybe upgrading the gym could see more growth in physical stats, or hiring a 5 star trainer could see faster improvement to technical stats, maybe a 5 star physic could see less injuries and faster recovery times for players, these are all things that can be earn't depending on what you focus your method of success to be.

Finding the balance between fun and over powering is the key with the idea of keeping the manager mode fresh and exciting and adding longevity to a career mode, actually having to make the decision of employing better staff like 5 Star trainers, physio's, and scouts and commit to paying that staff members wages for a certain amount amount of years over maybe certain stadium upgrades all could have cause and effect.

For example a wealthy team (Manchester City,Manchester United, Arsenal, etc) might have the luxury to secure the 5 star scout/trainer/physio for 5 - 10 years keeping them the continuous powerhouse by keeping star players healthy and on the pitch and young players progressing faster through a better gym and skills coach, whereas a smaller teams may not have the funds to be able too commit to a 5 star staff member and may have to settle for a 3 star resulting in slower player growth, longer injury recovery time etc. Of course the user could run the risk and go all out on a 5 trainer gaining growth but sacrificing injuries and or scouting reports. It would force the user to either sacrifice balance of the club for the success sometimes paying off...and sometimes not!

An example of a smaller team that is fighting it's way too the top is Leicester City, There current season in an improved FIFA 17 career mode would currently see fan happiness sky high resulting in player growth acceleration, meaning the teams current success could be a reason to bump tickets and merchandise up, to be able too afford that nice new gym or 5 star scout, or physio, resulting in reward for achievement. Leicster City being an example at the highest level but this could also scale down to lower levels, keeping the user engaged and on the hook and making a much more rewarding and realistic career mode.

****POST STILL IN PROGRESS****

Last edited by Matty Aqua; 03-16-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: FIFA Career Mode Improvements & Discussion

I really like the idea of bigger clubs being able to train "better". Maybe train 7-10 players a week instead of 5.

Turning off manager firing would be great. Something small that could fix a lot of people's main issue.

Another idea I would add would be sponsors or just a kit creator. I love playing deep into careers but would like the option to change kits at the end of each season.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

The mode needs to be fully customizable. It's a game. If we can't to completely change teams, leagues, rosters, etc. we should be able to.

The "owner" mode aspect mentioned above would be really cool and fun IMO. Rebuilding and upgrading stadiums would be sweet too, at least for those clubs with generic stadiums. It feels stupid playing with a club in a stadium that holds 9000 playing in the PL. Let us earn "cash" to be able to upgrade the facilities we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

All great ideas here—especially fully customizable experience.

I'd love them to re-implement a lot of the things from career mode in FIFA 2005 on.

I loved the version of the mode where you can start from a small collection of low rated clubs and work your way up. Jobs actually worked correctly. Of course you could also chose to use whatever club you wanted in manager mode as well, but I loved doing the first option.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

Exactly, we have the option now to take a team from League 2 to the BPL, but a more in depth and realistic approach is what is missing from career mode!.

Also, WOW!, that video really shows how little has changed in career mode since FIFA 07!....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

There are certainly things that need adressing before this, but I would LOVE to be able to have a U21 (or whatever age) team, and be able to AT MINIMUM track their stats in their respective competitions. Otherwise, there are a lot of young players I'll never use simply because their ratings are too low when playing with a club like Arsenal.

Would love to be able to play U21 matches with the youngsters to see how they feel on the pitch. I know we can use them during the preseason tournament, but that's 1X/year only...
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

Hopefully will get around too finsihing the OP this weekend!, all great suggestions so far!...really love the idea of the U21's squad!, at the very least there should be sim of there games and stat tracking in general needs an overhaul
Old 03-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Revamped transfer/loan market and a transaction log. Im sick of seeing virtually the same squads around the league once you go further into your career mode. Why update team budgets and player value if teams don't even utilize them?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »