Home

"Light" version of AAA games

This is a discussion on "Light" version of AAA games within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
"Light" version of AAA games

Anyone else in a situation like me where you really want to play games like The Witcher 3 or GTA V or but know it is not a possibility due to time/family/career??

Would you enjoy a "light" version of those type of games? I would. I find it pretty frustrating that I really can't experience those games. I know my wish probably doesn't make financial sense to big game companies, but I'd kill for a 25-hour Witcher 3 or 25-hour DA: Inquisition version of each game.

Could I play and finish a game like Witcher 3? Yeah, it would probably take me a calendar year to play 100 hours, though. Sigh.

Man, if I was 15 now rather than 42... I would be in heaven thanks to the quality game experiences that exist now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: "Light" version of AAA games

I'm in this situation, too. While I would like the opportunity to play more than I do, I don't know that I'd want to sacrifice too much of the story by going with a "light" mode. Honestly, for a lot of these types of games, I play on easy (or normal, if it's TOO easy) so I can experience more of the story with the time that I do have. Since I'm not usually playing to brag that I beat a game in under XX hours or anything, I don't really care. Plus, it actually let's me mess around with unique combinations and such.

Bottom line, if I have time to play, I don't want to spend it being overly frustrated.

Now, I do have a pretty decent backlog of games that I need to start making a dent in before I can even begin to justify getting The Witcher (which sounds amazing) or any other non-sports game. Went a little too purchase-crazy when my wife bought me a PS4 for Christmas a couple years ago...
Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 13

Totally understand, with you 100%. Many people are in a similar situation, I think.

I will say, if you want to tackle some of those games, it's worth it to just pick it up one day and start playing it, without thinking about whether you will ever finish it or not. I know it seems daunting, but there have been many games I thought "no way am I putting 100 hours into that game", but just picked it up anyway, and over the course of 6-months to a year ended up finishing it. Or not. Either way, even if you abandon ship halfway through, it's still a fun side-project / time-waster and for a good enough game, worth the effort. You just have to get past the idea that you will finish everything you start (hard habit to break for a lot of us, I know).

Think of it like a good book. I'll pick one up and just read it over the course of a few months whenever I have idle time (rare for a lot of us I know), but eventually you'll get to the end and you won't think about how you got there. Even if you bail to move on to something else, it was still worth it for the part you got through (even if only to realize you don't like a certain style, author, etc).
Old 03-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

I have PC and Xbox(1st gen) games I haven't finished due to life taking over. It sucks cause I refuse to play a game that's less than 20 hours for the most part. I have witcher 3 and at the rate I'm going, part 4 will be out lbs. The hardest part is finding decent time for two uninterrupted hours. Second is the motivation to pick up and play after a week break from playing.

Also, as much of a Elder Scrolls homer I am, I cant buy ESO. I simply don't have the time for a MMO of that scale.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
I have PC and Xbox(1st gen) games I haven't finished due to life taking over. It sucks cause I refuse to play a game that's less than 20 hours for the most part. I have witcher 3 and at the rate I'm going, part 4 will be out lbs. The hardest part is finding decent time for two uninterrupted hours. Second is the motivation to pick up and play after a week break from playing.
Exactly, Graphik. I find I get an hour or two max on weekend mornings. Staying up late isn't as good of an option now, because that ends up being our TV time while kids sleep. Plus I have to sleep sometime.

I now just get up when I would for work and have a bit of time free from everything.

Because of my realities, I pick and choose. Right now I'm addicted to Fallout 4 (I've got like 1 day and 10 hours into it, a ton for me since launch). I'm resisting buying more games, forcing myself (a bit) to continue on this.

It's hard though, when you're off for a week then it can be tough to want to get back into it...There have been periods of a month or so where I'd rather watch some movie vs. play a game....

This helps me though because I don't get most things at launch, so I save a ton of money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
MVP

mrclutch's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm with you. 41 and a very time intensive job/career. I don't have the time I would like so games like Witcher 3 will never happen. I even feel guilty when I do game a couple hours here and there because my family time isn't what I'd like either.
All that said I find myself games that aren't that deep and that are easy for me to pick up and play. For me that's either games like 2k (that I've played for years) or Shadow of Mordor because it honestly pretty easy to pick up where you left off.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Exactly, Graphik. I find I get an hour or two max on weekend mornings. Staying up late isn't as good of an option now, because that ends up being our TV time while kids sleep. Plus I have to sleep sometime.

I now just get up when I would for work and have a bit of time free from everything.

Because of my realities, I pick and choose. Right now I'm addicted to Fallout 4 (I've got like 1 day and 10 hours into it, a ton for me since launch). I'm resisting buying more games, forcing myself (a bit) to continue on this.

It's hard though, when you're off for a week then it can be tough to want to get back into it...There have been periods of a month or so where I'd rather watch some movie vs. play a game....

This helps me though because I don't get most things at launch, so I save a ton of money.

Yea it does save money in the long run cause I do the same thing. For instance I neglected buying the Division cause I just got Witcher and I'm still knee deep into 2K. My usual weekday gaming hours only stretch from 9-12 and only till 12 if I'm not fighting sleep. The weekend is usually more free but by then, I'm tryna get drunk lol.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Yea it does save money in the long run cause I do the same thing. For instance I neglected buying the Division cause I just got Witcher and I'm still knee deep into 2K. My usual weekday gaming hours only stretch from 9-12 and only till 12 if I'm not fighting sleep. The weekend is usually more free but by then, I'm tryna get drunk lol.
lol yeah...

I can't do the online games as much, not on consistently. It's hard to not want to play the latest hotness, but fun to really get into a game and finally beat it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »