Home

Making your SS throw on the Run?

This is a discussion on Making your SS throw on the Run? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1
Making your SS throw on the Run?

I am sure everyone has ran into this issue online or in any game mode. Some hits a grounder to your SS back hand, and instead of charging, he picks it deep in the hole, sets his feet, and goes through a (what seems like) 30 second animation, and almost every time the base runner beats out the throw. Is their anyone to have your SS throw on the run, or do a quicker snap throw, or do they always get preset into that load it up animation. If I go with a lower power throw will he snap it off quicker? I don't seem to notice a differnce.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Rookie

KCsFinest5's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Making your SS throw on the Run?

I've had success with holding off on hitting the throw button until I have the ball in hand. Usually this forces the player to throw with more urgency and reduces those plays. You also may want to check the fielding stats of the SS you are using.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCsFinest5
I've had success with holding off on hitting the throw button until I have the ball in hand. Usually this forces the player to throw with more urgency and reduces those plays. You also may want to check the fielding stats of the SS you are using.
Interesting, i am going to give this a try tonight, and I thought Maybe it was an issue (was running into it with Segura) But now I have tried Correa Crawford and Tulo. And Tulo and Crawford just love to load up and use their big arms. Has cost me a few times.

I am trying your tip on waiting that split second longer on throwing though. Thanks
Old 04-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKRDIBL
I am sure everyone has ran into this issue online or in any game mode. Some hits a grounder to your SS back hand, and instead of charging, he picks it deep in the hole, sets his feet, and goes through a (what seems like) 30 second animation, and almost every time the base runner beats out the throw. Is their anyone to have your SS throw on the run, or do a quicker snap throw, or do they always get preset into that load it up animation. If I go with a lower power throw will he snap it off quicker? I don't seem to notice a differnce.
Yeah, this has been driving me nuts. I know they said they have put an emphasis this year on "defensive urgency", but I have rarely seen it. Whether that's the shortstop taking forever to throw, or the outfielders jogging in sand before running towards a batted ball, or taking their time throwing back into the cutoff man. I can't tell you how many times I've given up doubles on basic singles up the middle.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

Yes this happens to my created player SS a lot especially when showtime kicks in. I don't use showtime and never will but it still happens in franchise mode even when set to off on player lock. If you just let the R1 timer run down and it will kick into the back hand animation every time.

Also it was mentioned on the twitch stream that data for showtime is being tracked by how many people turn it off. I'm sure with the glitch in franchise mode the data will be off!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Yes this happens to my created player SS a lot especially when showtime kicks in. I don't use showtime and never will but it still happens in franchise mode even when set to off on player lock. If you just let the R1 timer run down and it will kick into the back hand animation every time.

Also it was mentioned on the twitch stream that data for showtime is being tracked by how many people turn it off. I'm sure with the glitch in franchise mode the data will be off!
There are a number of (legitimate/by design) reasons this could be happening. If you can capture a video, i could try to specify a cause for you.

Some things that could be happening:

1) Did not pre-load throw input. This would cause you to miss the first branch point in the catch animation (normally almost immediately after the ball hits your glove) which would give you the fastest throw. If you miss this branch point, you will have to wait until the later "throw ready" branch point.

2) Jamming on the left analog stick during the catch. This could cause your fielder to break out of the catch into a run before throwing depending on the catch animation.

3) Your fielder has a very low Fielding Attribute (<30). In this case, he will always miss the first branch point and be forced to wait for the "throw ready" branch. Time for some training....
Old 04-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
There are a number of (legitimate/by design) reasons this could be happening. If you can capture a video, i could try to specify a cause for you.

1) Did not pre-load throw input. This would cause you to miss the first branch point in the catch animation (normally almost immediately after the ball hits your glove) which would give you the fastest throw. If you miss this branch point, you will have to wait until the later "throw ready" branch point.

2) Jamming on the left analog stick during the catch. This could cause your fielder to break out of the catch into a run before throwing depending on the catch animation.

3) Your fielder has a very low Fielding Attribute (<30). In this case, he will always miss the first branch point and be forced to wait for the "throw ready" branch. Time for some training....
Woodweaver,

Thanks for following up a couple of quick thoughts my fielding attributes are pretty high and preloaded throws are done in time. I currently only have screen shots of the showtime problem.

I will try to capture a video using the standard PS4 software for when this happens using player lock in Franchise mode and Showtime is turned off in the options in Franchise as well as the main home screen menu options.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver

I don't have many problems with this myself, but I can provide one example I just ran across in fielding practice. I think this is one a lot of people experience at some time or another:

I forget who the 67-speed runner is, but he is safe here, as confirmed by the lack of an IF assist point gain. And this is a full-power throw. I want to break this down a little, and I have one important question:

Which input triggers the branch point throw - the initial, start-the-throw-interface input or the actual confirmation of the throw (when power is locked)? Here are the two points at which these events happen:

Initial input (note that Escobar is already moving into position to field on the backhand - I cannot charge this ball even preloading this early)

Power confirmation

I do realize that not every play is going to made of course, I'd just like some feedback on this one in particular. If I'm doing something wrong here, please let me know. Thanks in advance

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »