Home

Should classic stadiums be allowed in ranked multiplayer matches?

This is a discussion on Should classic stadiums be allowed in ranked multiplayer matches? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: ?
They shouldn't be allowed 7 17.95%
They should be allowed 32 82.05%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Should classic stadiums be allowed in ranked multiplayer matches?

What do you guys think about the classic stadiums like Polo Grounds being allowed in online matches?

It just doesn't feel right to me playing a ranked game in a stadium with 260-foot foul poles and a ridiculously large outfield. I feel like the competitive online modes should be limited to modern MLB fields.

I played a guy last night whose entire offensive and defensive strategy was built for Polo Grounds. He had Ichiro, PEDee, and Lofton in outfield, with gold and diamond power hitters in the rest of his lineup. He kept trying to hit pull/opposite field homers into the corner balconies, and he did get me a couple of times before I finally adjusted my pitching strategy and pulled ahead of him at the end:

These kinds of games just aren't any fun to play IMO. I would quit out of them before they started if that wouldn't penalize my ranking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Should classic stadiums be allowed in ranked multiplayer matches?

I haven't played there enough this year to remember what is was like on PS3. I do remember after a while I stopped using Polo Grounds. It's fun playing there occasionally.

I wish defensive shifts worked better.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

I really enjoy playing in the classic stadiums, including the Polo grounds.

They dont come up very often and i wish i did see them more.

If we couldnt use them in online matches, then there would really be no use for them to be in the game and it would be a shame if they took them out of the game.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 55

You're allowed to do everything at the plate that your opponent is.

I mean, Coors Field is insane too but it's not like we should ban it.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Rookie

TBennz's Arena

OVR: 0

Agreed.

If he's pulling it 290 into the stands, why not just do the same thing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
Rookie

Hoosierdaddy76's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55

This. It's a level playing field as you share the same advantages. I personally play in Griffith and force my opponent to play small ball. My home stadium, my advantage.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy76
This. It's a level playing field as you share the same advantages. I personally play in Griffith and force my opponent to play small ball. My home stadium, my advantage.
It's not a level playing field though because the home team's lineup is in all likelihood set to play to the strengths of their home field, just like you described.

And the away team doesn't get to see what field they are playing on before they set their lineup.

So the home team in The Show has a big advantage that doesn't exist in real baseball where managers know what kind of field they're playing on before they fill out that day's lineup.

Quote:
Just because both teams can hit 260-foot home runs and 480-foot fly outs doesn't make it any more realistic. This is supposed to be an MLB simulation game. The shortest home runs in MLB are in the low-300s and the deepest fly outs are in the low-430s. That's a huge difference between what happens to balls in Polo Grounds compared to what happens in every other modern MLB stadium.

Quote:
Coors' crazy hitting is more of an altitude issue than a field design issue. It plays like any other ballpark in The Show since there's no altitude factor programmed into the game. It's no big deal to bat or field there.

Last edited by jyoung; 05-07-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
It's not a level playing field though because the home team's lineup is in all likelihood set to play to the strengths of their home field, just like you described.

And the away team doesn't get to see what field they are playing on before they set their lineup.

So the home team in The Show has a big advantage that doesn't exist in real baseball where managers know what kind of field they're playing on before they fill out that day's lineup.

Just because both teams can hit 260-foot home runs and 480-foot fly outs doesn't make it any more realistic. This is supposed to be an MLB simulation game. The shortest home runs in MLB are in the low-300s and the deepest fly outs are in the low-430s. That's a huge difference between what happens to balls in Polo Grounds compared to what happens in every other modern MLB stadium.

Coors' crazy hitting is more of an altitude issue than a field design issue. It plays like any other ballpark in The Show since there's no altitude factor programmed into the game. It's no big deal to bat or field there.
1) The gaps at Coors Field are so deep that I routinely get a lot more doubles and triples there than anywhere else.

2) If this was supposed to be a pure "simulation" then we might as well ban classic players too while we're at it.

3) What's to stop you from picking a stadium that suits your own play style/lineup? A team full of lefty power bats for Yankee Stadium, a team with 5 Diamond starting pitchers and good defensive players at Red Rocks Stadium (my own personal home park) or SafeCo or any number of pitcher's parks, etc.

EDIT- Upon further review of your video, that move you pulled at 2:25 is waaaaaay cheesier than any ballpark. I can't stand when dudes do that online...

Last edited by 55; 05-07-2016 at 10:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »