Home

Why does good timing = pop up/foul tip?

This is a discussion on Why does good timing = pop up/foul tip? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3
Why does good timing = pop up/foul tip?

I'm fine with it happening at a realistic pace, but fastballs right down the heart of the plate or a hanging breaking ball (sometimes 2-3 in a row) shouldn't be a money pitch for the cpu. Especially with guys like Donaldson and Bautista.

To say I'm struggling at the plate is an understatement. I have now lost 33 games in a row. I cannot hit more than 4 hits a game and for me to hit 20+ fouls or pop ups a game with good timing from pitches that are near or in the heart of the plate is straight up stupid. Yet if I miss with a pitch and it cruises down the middle (majority of the time) the cpu crushes it. Doesn't matter who or what pitch. Once they get a hit, it's literally game over. I have never once only given up one hit. There is always at least a second, and usually a third and fourth.

If some of the 20+ that are foul or pop ups would actually go into play I might be able to actually win a game.

Sliders make no difference, as I have used them all. The one very consistent thing with all sliders and all skill levels is that there are way too many fouls or pop ups with good timing and contact.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Rookie

Guccilafluer's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Why does good timing = pop up/foul tip?

Sounds like controller/tv lag maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

When you say that you're okay with it happening at a realistic rate, how excessive is it for you? Power hitters tend to hit infield flies between 10-20% of the time.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Banned

BegBy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticism
When you say that you're okay with it happening at a realistic rate, how excessive is it for you? Power hitters tend to hit infield flies between 10-20% of the time.

Honestly it hovers around 25%, which isn't super mega bad...but at the same time it kinda is. I also think in conjunction with my inability to hit/win I see what seems to be really inflated instances of it happening.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
Rookie

Maxflier's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guccilafluer
Sounds like controller/tv lag maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the games hitting feedback is registering as good timing, why would it be lag? That makes no sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
Rookie

If you are using directional hitting that comes with the territory.

Use zone if you want more consistent solid contact.

If you are wed to directional use sliders to maybe:

Increase solid hits
Increase power
Increase timing window

Contact won't help as much.

If you think zone is too hard (as I did) read up on how some people place it over a part of the plate and don't move it. I do this now because of too many popups in directional and am happy. I don't have the stick skills to track pitches with zone so each pitch I guess if I should cover high medium or low on the plate, but the outline zone reticule there and only swing if I'm right. Hard hits are up, popups down, looking strikeouts up, and walks up.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
Rookie

There is a YouTube video or two out there on how to do it. Long story short usually cover the upper part of the plate for a fastball / power pitcher, the middle for a breaking ball guy, and the lower part for a sinker splitter type guy. Adjusting for situation (they try and get ground balls when looking for a double play, for example) and for how they pitch specific batters and you are good to go.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Because timing is only one component of a swing.

Get a ball, toss it up in the air and hit it with a bat. If you pop it up, were you late? Early? No, you just hit the very bottom of the ball with the very top of the bat. Good timing, bad swing location.

Same is true in The Show (and real baseball...that's way pitches with late movement are often effective).

The location of the swing is generalized by the PCI. If you're on Directional, then the location of where the player puts his PCI means as much (perhaps more) than the timing, and that's governed by his ratings, the pitcher's ratings, the pitcher control slider, the solid hits slider, and the contact slider. Influence can be a factor as well.

Contact slider influences the chances of the player placing his PCI well.

Control slider "counters" that by how likely the pitch "fools the hitter".

Solid Hits slider influences the likelihood of getting the better trajectories (less pop ups and choppers) as well as getting the most out of them. In can only do so much, though. PCI location still has to be decent.

Contact rating vs H/9 and K/9 ratings impact the size of the PCI and the likelihood the batter puts it in a good spot.

BB/9 and Control influence the chance of the pitch being where the pitcher wants it, which is generally in a difficult to hit location.

Movement influences the break on the pitch. If you're controlling the PCI, it can challenge your PCI control. On Directional, it might impact PCI location vs pitch location. I know sometimes I see the CPU hitters miss with a green timing swing because the PCI was a mile away from the pitch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »