Home

Madden 17 kicking meter

This is a discussion on Madden 17 kicking meter within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden 17 kicking meter

I'm really not a fan of the old school button mechanic for kicking coming back again. I really was hoping for it to involve the analog stick but also having to flick it back and it actually controls the snap on punts & field goals. So basically, if you don't flick back the stick towards the middle, the snap can go wrong.

Anybody else not really happy about this though or have any other ideas to where botched snaps can happen based on human error?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden 17 kicking meter

I'm waiting to try it to pass judgement, but don't have an issue w/ what I've seen, disappearing during icing, etc.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I'm waiting to try it to pass judgement, but don't have an issue w/ what I've seen, disappearing during icing, etc.
I honestly really hate the icing mechanic as well since icing doesn't even have an effect irl. They kick the FG when the opposing coach calls TO and miss, all to end up making it on the next shot 9/10 times it seems like lol. It's rare that it's actually had any effect so why even add the feature...?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
I'm really not a fan of the old school button mechanic for kicking coming back again. I really was hoping for it to involve the analog stick but also having to flick it back and it actually controls the snap on punts & field goals. So basically, if you don't flick back the stick towards the middle, the snap can go wrong.

Anybody else not really happy about this though or have any other ideas to where botched snaps can happen based on human error?
I'll wait and see. I've wanted the kick meter to change for years but I'm not sure any of the videos we've seen have been on All-Madden and that's where I'll be able to judge.

I like the old-school mechanic but based on the videos I would have preferred something more similar to the Madden 2004 style kick meter. It also seems like even when you press the power button that the meter still goes all the way to the top which seems kind of weird to me but shouldn't be that big of a deal. The icing the kicker thing is another thing I'm unsure about but we'll see.

As for botched snaps maybe a + meter kind of like what has been used for free throws in basketball games where you have to hit the meter up and down and then side to side and based on your LS's ratings is how forgiving it is if you're off. And based on how you hit the meter it could trigger different animations of high snaps, low snaps, and snaps that are off line and come with a bit of a kick accuracy penalty as well.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
I honestly really hate the icing mechanic as well since icing doesn't even have an effect irl. They kick the FG when the opposing coach calls TO and miss, all to end up making it on the next shot 9/10 times it seems like lol. It's rare that it's actually had any effect so why even add the feature...?
Icing doesn't have an effect? Tons of kickers would disagree. Also, giving the meter goes away after power is set, there is still a good chance you'll make easy Fgs.

Give it a chance, it looks much better than before.

Last edited by TheBleedingRed21; 07-02-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm just hoping it's better than the automatic kick into the wind 45 yard FG.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm just hoping it's better than the automatic kick into the wind 45 yard FG.

This. However given how many long snapper moves happened this offseason I wouldn't mind seeing special teams get some love in M19 and getting the responsibility of snapping the ball on punts or fg

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 07-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Icing doesn't have an effect? Tons of kickers would disagree. Also, giving the meter goes away after power is set, there is still a good chance you'll make easy Fgs.

Give it a chance, it looks much better than before.
Not true. Around 2:15 on out is where they get into the stats and Gould talks about it then they prove it simply hasn't made a difference with numbers after that...
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...ing-the-kicker

Many players/kickers and commentators who have commentated many games are baffled it goes on so much still. It's a bogus feature, I've watched too many games where the coach calls TO on the missed kick all to end up with the kicker making the next FG. It's not effective enough in real life to add a feature that makes icing the kicker a disadvantage. There shouldn't be an added icing the kicker mechanic to make it harder to make the FG. If it rattles your nerves when a TO is called right before kicking in Madden, then it rattles your nerves, but we don't need and extra disadvantage since it doesn't really give kickers a drastic disadvantage irl.

Last edited by TheGentlemanGhost; 07-02-2016 at 04:18 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »