Home

How to turn home runs into doubles?

This is a discussion on How to turn home runs into doubles? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Rookie

s1lent's Arena

OVR: 0
How to turn home runs into doubles?

I'm about halfway through my Mariners season, and I am first in homers and second to last in doubles. It seems I only ever hit homers or singles, and I hit way too many homers. I am middle of the pack in terms of BA so I don't want to affect that too much. I'm playing on AS+ with zone hitting.

My current hitting sliders are:

Power: 4
Timing: 4
Solid hits: 4

What is the best way to turn some of these homers I'm hitting into doubles without affecting other stats? Should I simply adjust power down another notch? Adjust power down and increase solid hits? Something else?

Thanks for your advice guys.

Last edited by s1lent; 07-16-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: How to turn home runs into doubles?

Try lowering power first. Power impacts distances on batted balls.

It also has the least side effects.

Keep in mind, though, it will impact your line drives/low flyball distance, so try not to lose those doubles/gappers as well. It also impacts overall velocity of batted balls, so lowering it could make it easier for fielders to get there in time to cut it off, etc.

Just wanted to give some of the possible side effects you might see.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
Rookie

s1lent's Arena

Alright thanks, I will give lowering the power another notch a shot.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Trying lowering fielder speed, power, outfield throwing strength.

Increase solid hits, infield arm strength, base runner speed.

The effects: less home runs, but more solid hits, means more liners into the gaps while keeping power normal. The fielders are slower getting to the ball and at getting the ball back from the outfield, meaning players in the 30-45 speed range aren't limited to singles into the corners. You adjust infield arm strength to make sure infield singles and bunts aren't too common.

Personally I would play around that with different difficulty levels, for me I have a good balance of doubles now, Donaldson had a 44 double season, most of my big hitters were between 35-20
Old 07-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENVCR
Trying lowering fielder speed, power, outfield throwing strength.

Increase solid hits, infield arm strength, base runner speed.

Agree with all of these.

I would also consider lowering fielder reaction so that when fielders do take an incorrect read, it doesn't get negated by the fact they always get a great jump/first step.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
MVP

forme95's Arena

What do you have Field React and Fielder speed at? Believe it or not, I found moving these to be more of a effect then moving power slider. Im not sure how this effects XBH and HR's, but it does. Mine are React 6 and speed 4. For my franchise with the Indians, I am staying right in par with MLB as far as HR vs XBH. Just my .02

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 07-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Rookie

s1lent's Arena

Thanks for the advice guys! Will try those adjustments.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Forme95, I thought I was just somehow just hitting badly all of the sudden. I recently made some big changes in lowering Fielder speed and reaction, and my home runs dropped drastically it seems. I wasn't trying to lower home runs, but increase base hits. I didnt connect it with the slider adjustments because it would make no sense. Then I saw your post and it fits what I am going through.

Basically I was trying to increase the number of overall hits I get per game. I thought that if I could just get one or two hits to fall safely per game, the stats would be very realistic. It worked in that the right amount of hits fell in - but - my home runs seemed to decrease a lot. So my hits per game has stayed the same - frustrating.

I didn't even consider that somehow I had affected home runs with Fielder speed and reaction. Not sure how it could, but I seem to be experiencing it.

I am hesitant to increase power or the other hitting sliders, because i was hitting way too many home runs at first. Worked with the sliders forever to get them about right, and now wondering if i need to adjust power or something else again to make up for the decrease caused (apparently) by decreasing Fielder speed and reaction.

Is this a known effect that Fielder speed and reaction has? Are others experiencing this?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »