Home

Late Starting My Franchise: Any Suggestions For A Better Franchise?

This is a discussion on Late Starting My Franchise: Any Suggestions For A Better Franchise? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Late Starting My Franchise: Any Suggestions For A Better Franchise?

As the title says: Are there any huge suggestions in regards to having a better, more realistic franchise?

Are there any game breaking issues (and fixes for that matter)? Are prime players still falling off cliffs in OVR even after having great years? I read somewhere that prospects/draftees' pitching Stamina never increases/decreases etc? Are players retiring too quickly? Does doing any sort of training accelerate prospects too quickly, and too high in OVR? Any suggests towards handling trade slider etc? Are there any issues in regards to budget & free agency spending etc?

Also if someone could give me an idea of how player progression works in this version I'd appreciate it?! Last years progression system killed the game for me. If a players potential is 93 will they always get there? Will they go over?

I am, sadly, extremely picky especially when it comes to this game. Thanks for reading & any suggestions are MAJORLY appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Late Starting My Franchise: Any Suggestions For A Better Franchise?

My advice: firstly use one of the updated OFSM rosters with full minors. Preferably one of the post-draft ones. Nothing kills it more than starting without a good roster and having to replace generic sim players with your own real prospects(in my case TJ Zeuch and Bo Bichette came out of two random D prospects I signed off the FA pile and edited).

The progression/regression is a bit different than last year IMO. Players start to regress in some form past 30 but I feel like it is slightly linked to performance as I have a few 33+ players gaining points in categories they are doing well.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

You cant improve break velocity or stamina for pitchers, running speed for anyone. That makes these the most important ratings for some positions. Sure, a catcher first or 3rd baseman can be slow, but everyone else should at least be over 60 speed(corner outfield), if not 80+(middle defenders). Keep in mind, even though stamina and speed wont improve, EVERY YEAR, ALMOST EVERYONE will lose 1 in speed and 1 in stamina(for pitchers). Doesnt matter how old they are really, 75% of the roster every year. Velocity and break will never improve so they need to be elite if thats what you look for in a pitcher. The more you sim though, the more important pitcher makeup is comparatively speaking.

Secondly, while it may be cheap to some, I highly recommend the first move in any franchise is to replace your coaching staff. Get A's that dont boost any of the 4 stats I mentioned. Then when building your roster, expect your players to care about the coaching staff. If they dont, they prolly shouldnt be on your team unless they're that good. You're losing a benefit by fitting a morale choice that isnt ticked on that person. You have great coaching now, so go get players that want it! Same goes for people from other countries, you WANT them to want compatriots, especially if you can have 2+ on the mlb roster with them. Jose fernandez is capable of being a 97+ on a live roster if he has the coaching and the region morales. That will also improve their abilities. In other words, use the morale system to your benefit.

Training takes forever to even begin to affect a player, at least a month or 2. So you wont necessarily see anyone jump through the roofs without great coaching, potential, and production.

Your budget will slowly but surely shrink over time so even if you pick a team with a heavy budget, you still need to think ahead before signing everyone to massive contracts. Figure out who cant be traded, get rid of everyone else for prospects. You only keep the best of the best and only so many. Focus more on people who play everyday instead of the rotation(other than ace). You can get by with 5 pitchers 85 or less, especially if you have a killer lineup day in and day out.

A player might reach above their potential if you find a better position fit, but if the potential is below the actual overall, that player will almost guaranteed regress. Also, just because someone has potential, doesnt mean they have the skills to succeed. You might have to play them in single A for a year to get them going on a hot streak to boost their ratings. Same thing for a c potential player, They might go higher if you let them dominate a lower league, going to a b potential.

Trade slider is user choice. If you dont like a lot, lower it until you get closer to the deadline when most trades happen, then bring it up to 10 until the deadline passes. If you want a lot of parody in different franchise playthroughs, keep it at 10 all the time and see what happens. If you just dont care, leave it at 5 and be done with it.

But I highly recommend the steve marshall update of the midseason osfm roster, new one will be out after 8/1 so you could wait or just get the one he released on the 20th. I say this roster because he's taken all the work that Ridin has done with the others to build all the prospects in minors, and then taken 2016's stats into account using Jimbos calculator. Its made the game much more enjoyable, especially in rtts. Lot harder to dominate once you get to the mlb because everyone is better rated based on real stats. You will still be as good as you always were, but the competition is stronger. So some sure fire doubles are now web gems, even on beginner.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Make sure you play out the first at-bat of the first game of the regular season (Pirates/Cardinals, I believe). Then you can sim the rest of the game. This will prevent the "Opening Day" bug.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

Want my honest advice on how to make it the best experience?

Pick one of the OSFM rosters whether it be regular or hybrid one. Then stop thinking of how to make it better or the best and just straight enjoy it. Seriously if you keep thinking of it you'll just continuously keep starting over just setup and roll my man.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 20

With the OFSM and hybrid rosters, aren't salaries an issue? Since I believe they edit the salaries to match real salaries, doesn't this affect budgets down the road?
Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
Want my honest advice on how to make it the best experience?

Pick one of the OSFM rosters whether it be regular or hybrid one. Then stop thinking of how to make it better or the best and just straight enjoy it. Seriously if you keep thinking of it you'll just continuously keep starting over just setup and roll my man.
This man is correct.

Also, don't get caught up in Slideritis. I recommend Armor & Sword's slider set. Using them in my Phillies Franchise and I am having a blast! Just started July and I have played every inning of every single game. Get yourself set up and just roll man.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited by PhilliesFan13; 08-05-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: 8
Old 08-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
Rookie

bobloblah1980's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
With the OFSM and hybrid rosters, aren't salaries an issue? Since I believe they edit the salaries to match real salaries, doesn't this affect budgets down the road?
I can unequivocally say that , that is not an issue with budgets with hybrids. There were many, many tests done before release..that was an issue in prior years

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »