Home

The Run Game?

This is a discussion on The Run Game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
Rookie

Caius101's Arena

OVR: 0
The Run Game?

So... I usually play a power run team, but I am finding it extremely difficult to run the ball this year. Averaging 3.7-3.9ypc this year, where as in 16 (and past games) it was usually 4.5ypc~

I know my o-line is average at best, same for my HB as I started with the Ravens... but there are times where my guards are NOT blocking, even my all-pro guard. I've watched him stand there and let a DT run by him, or not block a LB who came running in, even when he wasn't blocking anyone. It is frustrating... and Forsett isn't fast enough to run outside consistently. lol

My passing game is better this year than last year. I usually play on Pro, which is the main reason I surprised by having so much trouble moving the ball on the ground. In the meantime, I'm winning shootouts at 28-35 or 35-49 because of Flaco putting up 300-400 passing yards a game. *scratches head* I dunno, I would rather to be able to rely on my running game... bugs me to not be able to get to at least 4ypc.

It should be noted: I am enjoying this year's game... and no, I won't be going back to '16 :P

I am open to suggestions on running plays that work well, lol. Dives and stretches apparently don't anymore. xD

(Funny enough, my brother using the Lion's backup... Abdullah? is tearing things up because of his insane accel and juke)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: The Run Game?

Follow your blockers.... That's all I got for you. If you are patient and take the lanes that open for you, the running game is very rewarding

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
MVP

You may actually want to do skills trainer. You see a dive for example has a direction you should run it based on D line setup and a way you shouldn't, while they both run up the middle there is actually a correct way and sometimes it requires a flip. As for a stretch you need to lay off turbo until you see your whole then make a cut and go up field. This year it is important not to hit turbo until you see the whole and make your cut.

Do the skills trainer.....it is your friend.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
Rookie

Caius101's Arena

That's kind of the problem atm... a defender is getting through BEFORE the blockers get set. I can't really follow a block that is never made. lol
Old 08-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Rookie

Caius101's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
You may actually want to do skills trainer. You see a dive for example has a direction you should run it based on D line setup and a way you shouldn't, while they both run up the middle there is actually a correct way and sometimes it requires a flip. As for a stretch you need to lay off turbo until you see your whole then make a cut and go up field. This year it is important not to hit turbo until you see the whole and make your cut.

Do the skills trainer.....it is your friend.
I have done the skill trainers. *points to his last post* I know HOW to run. I am running... but for whatever reason, defenders keep getting into the back field before the blocks are set.

Edit: And yes, I know it happens IRL... but not on 10-12 out of 20-25 run attempts. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caius101
I have done the skill trainers. *points to his last post* I know HOW to run. I am running... but for whatever reason, defenders keep getting into the back field before the blocks are set.
There is nothing wrong with run blocking, as it seems you want to insinuate. I have played almost 20 games on All-Madden through out access and it is fine. If you are making the right call on flipping a run to the correct alignment and checking out of stacked boxes it will block correctly. Sometimes your all pro guard will get beat, if it's all the time you may want to re evaluate how much you took away from the skills trainer. There is no more just running sideways and getting a corner this year, so for many, running will be a lot harder this year.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Flyin' High

Birdman18's Arena

OVR: 8

Running requires patience and will test your will to stick with it. Hitting turbo, at least to me, feels like it triggers something on the d line to help them break blocks.

I try to hit the hole and attack the D line where they are weakest. If you're passing game is working, try a draw or two and see if that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

I've got to say, I'm in agreement with this. Running seems much, much tougher this year. I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all either. The defense is much better, especially when it comes to the LB's filling holes and gaps. It's what we've been waiting for a long time in Madden, so that's a plus.

My gripe with that though, is it seems like the LB's are super fast (like, faster than anyone on the field is capable of) when getting to their assignments and gaps and the hole, and it feels like your RB's are just stuck in the mud after getting the handoff.

Now that being said, I also play as Miami. So, my OL isn't spectacular. OK, lets be honest, they're not even below average lol I'm going to hopefully play a game or two tonight with some other teams and RB's to see if that improves things for me.

I've noticed laying off speed burst is the key to a lot of success as well this year. It has been in years past as well though. It's always felt as if speed burst triggered defenders getting off blocks and instantly tackling you, but this year that seems amplified.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »