Home

Collection of House Rules

This is a discussion on Collection of House Rules within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Collection of House Rules

Hello everybody,

I'm a longtime follower here at OS and read a lot of threads and posts. Over the years I collected a lot of house rules to assure some sort of balance with the CPU actions.

I just thougt that's a good idea to gather my and your rules. Maybe it helps some user here at OS to improve their franchise experience.

1. I negotiate the expiring contracts of my players only at the end of the season.
With this house rule you have only one try to expand these contracts.

2. I use some formulas for the contract terms of my expiring players.
Every player has specific terms for his new contract.
For example 4 years 18 millions base salary and 8 millions as a signing bonus. To match this you have to offer 4,5 million base salary and 0,8 million bonus per year. We know that you can lowball these offers but in my opinion that's not the way I want it.
Because of this I pay them what they wantfor the base salary and a specific percentage of the base salary (in line with the length of the contract) for the bonus according to the following chart:

32-33 yrs: 7 % Bonus
30-31 yrs: 10 % Bonus
27-29 yrs: 15 % Bonus
< 27 yrs: 20 % Bonus

OVR
80-84 = + 5 % Bonus
85-89 = + 10 % Bonus
90-95 = + 15 % Bonus
> 95 = + 20 % Bonus

Contract length
90+ = 6 year deal
85-89 = 5 year deal
75-84 = 4 year deal
65-74 = 3 year deal
61-64 = 2 year deal
60-0 = 1 year deal

If our player is 28 years old and has an OVR of 86 and want the abovementioned contract I will offer him 4,5 million base salary and 1,125 (4,5 * (15%+10%)) million as bonus per year over a duration of 5 years.
In comparison the player originally wanted a 4 year 4,5 million base with 0,8 million bonus salary and I offer him a 5 year 4,5 million base with 1,125 million bonus salary.
With these formulas you give the top players a little more than they demand and you have to decide whether you sign you 33 year old 89 OVR player who maybe only wants a 2 year contract a new 5 year deal.
It sounds more complicating than it is.
I use this method only for my starting caliber players.

3. Don't progress your players manually.
In order with the CPU actions I always choose automatic progression for all my players. The CPU don't use their XP points wisely as the user so this way you don't have an advantage over them.
Beyond that I can imagine that the progression is not in my hands but rather a more 'natural' way. In real life the coaches also can't determine which specific rating they want to improve for his players.

4. Don't train your players manually.
For the same reasons as progression I let the CPU decide who and which to train. It should provide the same sort of balance over the CPU as progression.

5. Don't look at the development traits of your players.
I understand that this trait is needed to differentiate the players in terms of potential but for me I don't want to know who has a higher or lower ceiling. In years past following this rule was no problem in relation with rule 3.
This year it gets a little bit more complicated because you immediately know this trait for your drafted players. To prevent this you have to look away from the screen after selecting your player as some users here at OS has already recommended.

6. Don't control your receiver at all.
Neither I manually catch the ball with the receiver nor I control them after the catch. I want to decide the ratings to determine the outcome of the game. In my opinion this improves your game experience a lot because you can see and feel the difference between the Dez/Julio type of players versus the Tavon Austin guys.

7. Don't control a defensive player.
This is some mix of my insufficient stick skills as a defender and the same approach from rule 6. I want he ratings to decide the outcome. This might be very confusing for some of you. :-)

8. Don't do manual trades.
Execute trades only via the trade block. Doing it this way you can't rob the CPU because with manual trades you have unlimited tries to find a package that suits your liking.

9. Don't call your own plays.
This rule is controversial and correlated with the basic issue whether you want (able to) call your own plays or not. I'm no expert in the matter of playcalling therefore it's the easy way for playing your games. This rule also can be used only for offense or defense.
By all means this prevents you from using money plays at al.

10. Limit your scoutable players.
In years past it was to easy to identify the gems in the draft classes. In 2 to 3 years you could stack your roster which isn't all to realistic. Despite they change the neede points to scout from 5, 10, 15 to 15, 10, 5 I think even in Madden 17 it's too easy to find the top dogs and diamond in the roughs.
For me I only can scout players who fit my scheme (Balanced Offense, Attacking 4-3, etc.) or who has the right player type (Red Zone Threat, Pocket Passer, Speed Rusher, etc.). At the beginning of every franchise i choose my scheme and my preferred player types to follow this rule.
In addition to this I limit the scoutable players to position of need (I choose 4-7 positions every year) and some favourite colleges of me (Boston College, California, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Wisconsin).
This guarantees that I miss some gems because they don't fit my restrictions.

11. Get some false start penalties.
You can see the the CPU will use the fake snap from time to time. I couldn't figured out which rules the CPU QB follows whether to use the fake snap or not. Because of this I set some scenarios in which I will use the fake snap. Every play-action, screen and HB draw play-call I will use it and in addition every time the CPU shows blitz. This ensures at least some false start penalty for the user because I don't know any significant advantage from the fake snap which would lead to never using it.

12. Don't stop the clock before the 2 minute warning when trailing.
In the real NFL coaches will use their timeouts before the 2 minute warning to stop the clock if they trail. Unfortunately the CPU is programmed to use their timeouts after the 2 minute warning to stop the clock. Therefore the same rule is applied by me.

In addition to these rules I use my own formulas (Excel) to calculate my players OVR's which will vary from the Madden OVR. But this is a very special mannerism of me to concentrate more at the relevant ratings for each position. A lot of people here at OS preach 'Don't look at the OVR but at the specific ratings for the position.' and I agree with them.
For me it's my way to compare all of my players at a glance.
Furthermore I created a production sheet for my players to have a better statistical comparison of each of them. This aids my decision who to re-sign in the offseason.
But these two points have nothing in common with house rules. They are further methods to individualize your franchise.
Three years ago I started a thread with the topic Tweak your franchise experience.

To clarify why I post these rules I want to say that I want to give you some input for possibly house rules you can utilize.
I don't say everybody who won't use house rules play unrealistically because everyone of us has different standards for his franchise play.

I realize that some (most) of you will say that especially my in game rules leads to very little input by the user. You can see it as some hybrid User vs. CPU and CPU vs. CPU sort of playing.

If some of you uses one or more of these rules to improve their franchise experience I'm pleased that I could give a little bit back to the forum which I learned a lot till today.

I want to say OS is the very best place to optimize your sliders and your understanding of the mechanics and share your experiences with the SIM crowd of Madden.

Sorry for the long post, now I hope you can share some of your house rules with us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Collection of House Rules

new house rule for me this year:

draft trades up
after years, of gathering picks and simply having too many, i've decided to be more aggressive. between rounds 1 and 3, i must make a trade up. even if it is only a few spots, i gotta do everything i can to move up. i know i'm going to accept a trade to move own at some point so i have to get rid of some of my picks to balance it out.

draft trades down
have been doing this on & off for sometime but i'm now only accept the weakest offer. also, if i can only accept an offer that is too much, i trade a pick(s) back to that team after the draft. this way, moves can still happen but they don't rip a team too much for a simple move.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Rookie

tubaSimulator's Arena

@zackebarsch10; We agree on a lot! I have a house rules document which includes almost all the rules you just posted. Great minds think alike, huh?

Glad you posted this. Always interested in learning how other players do it and find new rules I can incorporate or change in my own house rules!

(I have a link to My Training Camp idea in my signature if you're interested)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8

I too like the cpu to call the plays as it feels more realistic, but I can't seem to find a playbook that's balanced on offense. I want to have as close to 50/50 pass/run balance as possible. Any thoughts? Madden 16 was better at that in my opinion.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

My scouting house rule for M16 was that I could only scout every 4 weeks. Since you lost half of your unused scouting points each week, I wouldn't be able to scout a ton of players like I could by doing it every weeks. Made the draft more of a guess since there were way less players who I had fully scouted. Forced me into taking a couple guesses in the draft, and usually I only ended up with one or two studs. Instead of drafting a team full of sure thing quick/superstar progression players, which happened everytime I scouted and drafted without house rules. I will likely do the same for 17
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaSimulator
@zackebarsch10; We agree on a lot! I have a house rules document which includes almost all the rules you just posted. Great minds think alike, huh?

Glad you posted this. Always interested in learning how other players do it and find new rules I can incorporate or change in my own house rules!

(I have a link to My Training Camp idea in my signature if you're interested)

Hey Tuba I read your training camp write-up. Awesome stuff and some very good ideas.
I hope I have enough patience to emulate this because I think your idea of getting the immersion is fantastic.
I have to try this out.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

So I noticed you don't control (or catch) after the receiver has the ball. Do you control the RB on a run play though?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
So I noticed you don't control (or catch) after the receiver has the ball. Do you control the RB on a run play though?

Yes this little bit of control I'm keeping. If I control the WR I will make moves the CPU can't/won't do.
The HB moves I perform are more in line with the CPU.
As you can see by my rules I'm aiming for the most equalized playing and CFM experience without exploiting the CPU.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »