Home

Post M17 Im still playing 2k5. Are you?

This is a discussion on Post M17 Im still playing 2k5. Are you? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Post M17 Im still playing 2k5. Are you?

So Im siting here a week after M17 released and Im playing 2k5. Who else is still playing 2k5? In the past 3 games in my season Ive had a blocked field goal, deflected balls either caught by another receiver, incomplete or intercepted, two offensive lineman injured ingame and perhaps my favorite personal feature, custom stadium sounds, adding tons of atmosphere.

Im dating myself, but hearing 'too short' blast away when I score yet another touchdown at home is just fun.

I play coach mode, slightly modified rosters, hand crafted run heavy playbooks and over past several years have honed a system that is good enough to find enjoyment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Post M17 Im still playing 2k5. Are you?

Is the weekly prep in M17 anywhere near NFL 2K5?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

From what I see in M17 of weekly prep I feel they are on the right track. One advantage M17 has here is that weekly prep is also simmed for by cpu team(I think). 2k5 is human team only.

I like what M17 devs are finally doing in all honesty. I think though that the current devs are hamstrung to a degree by the inheritence of a questionable physics engine, legacy code, and the fact they likely have to make one heck of an internal sales pitch to make any significant course corrections due to it being an annual ea cash cow.

Look, when Im playing 2k5 it looks, sounds and feels like a good physical game of football. You can feel collisions and momentum and dont see any goofy rag doll legs and arms flopping around like two puppets softly bumping into one another.

2k5 is faaaaasr from perfect. In fact, if Im honest with myself 2k4 is a more logical choice for me. Coach mode is great, offseason cpu ai strong.

But like tractor beam of fun, 2k5 keeps reeling me back into her arms. With football being a game of emotion the custom stadium sounds, for me, seal the deal. Im 40. My wife thinks its hilarious that when I score a home TD she will hear "Blow the Whistle" by too short blaring thru the house. Or "Throw them bows"

And hearing the MNF theme when entering a crucial late season showdown. really no substitute. Sacking the qb and hearing jump around, picking up a first down and hearing turn down for what and so on.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:45 AM   #4
Rookie

Thanks for the response.

I can fully acknowledge, and understand the developers current problems as you stated. Yet, you and I as well as many others should only be playing 2k5 for nostalgic purposes. M17 should be the standard.

2K5 dropped when you were 28 and I was 13, and yet its still our preferable choice for simulation football. I play 2k5 for the franchise mode, and APF 2K8 for the gameplay. Like you said these games are far from perfect AI wise, but the overall realism of the games bring me back.

The 2k5 arena music customization is dope. For me being able to actually run my "run and shoot" offense is my favorite.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

I'm still playing 2K5. I'd love to have rosters for this year, but the ones in the roster sub-forum aren't loading for me.

I think I may be fine just using historic roster sets and having fun with those. I'm 46, and I no longer have the patience for tuning, testing, and tweaking sports games anymore. I see the M17 forum and list of "issues" sounds very similar to what people have been complaining about since 2001. The bugs have changed, but it's the same story.

I also want to get a game in under 1 hour. That's also why I play MVP 2005 instead of the Show. I don't want a 100% broadcast experience, complete with long delays between the action.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
Rookie

Hey Iam with you bro 2k is nothing but the best I still play mine
Old 10-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran

db56's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm with you guys. Haven't bought EA's football game for retail since 12. 2K5 still beats the other game in the player movement and gameplay department.

For those of you that have custom music, could you explain step by step how to do this please. I've read through Finns entire thread at least 10 times and still haven't figured it out..
Old 10-11-2016, 01:46 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersville123
From what I see in M17 of weekly prep I feel they are on the right track. One advantage M17 has here is that weekly prep is also simmed for by cpu team(I think). 2k5 is human team only.

I like what M17 devs are finally doing in all honesty. I think though that the current devs are hamstrung to a degree by the inheritence of a questionable physics engine, legacy code, and the fact they likely have to make one heck of an internal sales pitch to make any significant course corrections due to it being an annual ea cash cow.

Look, when Im playing 2k5 it looks, sounds and feels like a good physical game of football. You can feel collisions and momentum and dont see any goofy rag doll legs and arms flopping around like two puppets softly bumping into one another.

2k5 is faaaaasr from perfect. In fact, if Im honest with myself 2k4 is a more logical choice for me. Coach mode is great, offseason cpu ai strong.

But like tractor beam of fun, 2k5 keeps reeling me back into her arms. With football being a game of emotion the custom stadium sounds, for me, seal the deal. Im 40. My wife thinks its hilarious that when I score a home TD she will hear "Blow the Whistle" by too short blaring thru the house. Or "Throw them bows"

And hearing the MNF theme when entering a crucial late season showdown. really no substitute. Sacking the qb and hearing jump around, picking up a first down and hearing turn down for what and so on.
Right on man! I too just turned 40 and feel the exact same. The customized soundtracks were, and still are one of my favorite features of this classic. It really adds to the whole experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »