Home

Madden 17 Off Playbook Sets and Lineups Spreadsheet

This is a discussion on Madden 17 Off Playbook Sets and Lineups Spreadsheet within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2
Madden 17 Off Playbook Sets and Lineups Spreadsheet

I've Gone through the Offensive playbook creation and made a Spreadsheet of all the formations, sets, subsets, and Lineup information.

Credit to the author of This Spreadsheet for the original idea, as I have used it the last 2 games.

With it being well out of date now in a lot of ways, It seemed time to get a new one. I didn't find anything, so I decided to go ahead and make one myself.

This will help when designing playbooks and offensive schemes. At this point it may not be completely mistake free, so if you find anything wrong, or have any suggestions for making it better, feel free to let me know. This only includes the formations and sets in the lists when creating a playbook. If there are special sets that show up in team specific playbooks(but not in the creation list), I may add them later, but they are not included at this point.

Thanks, and Enjoy.

Click the different pages at the bottom to see the lists for each formation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ph4/edit#gid=0

Last edited by SpectreBugg; 09-11-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
Rookie

matt.j.olson's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 17 Off Playbook Sets and Lineups Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBugg
I've Gone through the Offensive playbook creation and made a Spreadsheet of all the formations, sets, subsets, and Lineup information.

Credit to the author of (can't link, too noob) This Spreadsheet for the original idea, as I have used it the last 2 games.
Hey, that's me!

Glad you liked it, and great work on the new one. Wish I'd thought of annotations to indicate receivers off the line, tight splits, and all that.

Now that you've gone to all this work, I'm half thinking of doing the defensive formations, assuming I can come up with a reasonable notation for indicating the alignment of the front seven. Fortunately (or not?) it's not as obscure as it used to be -- packages like Nickel 3DE have disappeared from the playbooks, so it's all a lot more "what you'd expect".

Last edited by matt.j.olson; 09-14-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

anyone have a defensive one? ty for this most helpful
Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.j.olson
Hey, that's me!

Glad you liked it, and great work on the new one. Wish I'd thought of annotations to indicate receivers off the line, tight splits, and all that.

Now that you've gone to all this work, I'm half thinking of doing the defensive formations, assuming I can come up with a reasonable notation for indicating the alignment of the front seven. Fortunately (or not?) it's not as obscure as it used to be -- packages like Nickel 3DL have disappeared from the playbooks, so it's all a lot more "what you'd expect".
Thanks! Glad you turned up, I was looking for a way to contact you. Just wanted to say thanks for the original work. it really came in handy the last 2 years making playbooks. With all the changes it seemed time to get a new one. I havent looked at the defensive formations enough yet to know if a list like this would be all that beneficial, but it never hurts. Let me know if you decide to. If not, I may work on one when i get the time. Thanks again for the original work and idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
anyone have a defensive one? ty for this most helpful
If Matt doesn't work on one, I will the next time i get the chance. I'll update here when it gets done.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:32 AM   #5
Rookie

matt.j.olson's Arena

Quote:
Thanks! Glad you turned up, I was looking for a way to contact you. Just wanted to say thanks for the original work. it really came in handy the last 2 years making playbooks. With all the changes it seemed time to get a new one. I haven't looked at the defensive formations enough yet to know if a list like this would be all that beneficial, but it never hurts. Let me know if you decide to. If not, I may work on one when i get the time. Thanks again for the original work and idea!
You're most welcome; it's great to see someone run with the idea. When I first posted my spreadsheet to reddit, the reaction was mostly "Uh, so what?"

There's a lot more variation in the offensive sets than the defensive formations, especially this year. A lot of the specialized sub packages (Nickel 3DE, 4DE, NASCAR, etc) got phased out, which is basically fine but makes me wish we could define multiple personnel packages through formation subs. I guess there's a little question as to who shows up on the field in some of the "3-4" dime and quarter formations, but you don't need a spreadsheet to know what personnel you're going to get in 4-3 Over Plus or Dime Normal.

The alignment inside the box, however... that's worth nerding out on!

Quote:
If Matt doesn't work on one, I will the next time i get the chance. I'll update here when it gets done.
I'll see if I can get something written up over the weekend. If not, I'll show my work here and let someone else improve on it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Rookie

downundermike's Arena

Quote:
Outstanding. I love that personnel are listed. I like to have at least one personnel package from each formation, that way when I audible, I can go to any formation, makes it easy to have it all listed out.

Very well done.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Rookie

matt.j.olson's Arena

Over here!

----

It begins.

I'm using the usual alignment/"technique" notation to describe where players align both on the line of scrimmage and in the backfield. It's less precise for linebackers, because they shift around a bit, but it should give some indication. If nobody's lined up right over the center, I indicate the spot of the ball with a bar -- "|".

I've tried to use Cover 2 as much as possible to avoid variability about whether the strong safety aligns in the box, but some sets don't have a two-high defense to call! I've marked those by shading the name of the set.

Biggest surprise so far: 3-4 Over Ed. Wat.

Last edited by matt.j.olson; 09-14-2016 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Finished content
Old 09-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
Rookie

downundermike's Arena

Quote:

Credit to the author of This Spreadsheet for the original idea, as I have used it the last 2 games.

With it being well out of date now in a lot of ways, It seemed time to get a new one. I didn't find anything, so I decided to go ahead and make one myself.

This will help when designing playbooks and offensive schemes. At this point it may not be completely mistake free, so if you find anything wrong, or have any suggestions for making it better, feel free to let me know. This only includes the formations and sets in the lists when creating a playbook. If there are special sets that show up in team specific playbooks(but not in the creation list), I may add them later, but they are not included at this point.

Thanks, and Enjoy.

Click the different pages at the bottom to see the lists for each formation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ph4/edit#gid=0
Can you make it so it can be edited ??

I like to list them all on one sheet and sort by formation, that way I can list all the formations, packages with the same personnel package.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »