Home

Did Live 14 permanently damage Lives reputation?

This is a discussion on Did Live 14 permanently damage Lives reputation? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

OVR: 0
Did Live 14 permanently damage Lives reputation?

In my eyes lives unable to suceed has been almost 100% because of Live 14. Live 14 was probably the most hyped up live in recent years since it was "the return" when it came out with poor gameplay and awful graphics, It ruined peoples views on Live. I think this is a big reason why everyone comments "Looks like a PS2 game" on NBA live 16 videos, because everyone just think live sucks without even trying it now. Live 16 wasn't a great game yes, but it is far better then what everyone acts like it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Did Live 14 permanently damage Lives reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolePlayer
In my eyes lives unable to suceed has been almost 100% because of Live 14. Live 14 was probably the most hyped up live in recent years since it was "the return" when it came out with poor gameplay and awful graphics, It ruined peoples views on Live. I think this is a big reason why everyone comments "Looks like a PS2 game" on NBA live 16 videos, because everyone just think live sucks without even trying it now. Live 16 wasn't a great game yes, but it is far better then what everyone acts like it is.
I thought the player movements of Live 14 and significantly with Live 16 were an absolutely major improvement over NBA Live 10. Live 10 may have been praised for its gameplay but with regards to animations, Live 10 is no where near the level of 14 and definitely not 16. It could very well have been the newer graphics, but I couldn't stomach Live 10 because the animations were so poor. I at least managed to enjoy both Live 14 and Live 16 demo because the movements were a major improvement.

I actually thought Live 16 had a touch of the other basketball game player movements to it. Live 16 still requires animation polish or overhaul during their jumping sequences but overall it's a massive improvement (player movement wise) over the robotic Live 10. Gameplay concern with Live 16 includes easy inside buckets, awkward looking layups and awkward looking hooks shot and other animations around the rim, and not enough midrange game. I do realize the game of basketball has changed, but when the graph charts only a couple midrange shots in 16, that's concerning.

Live 10 (don't know why Giphy slows down Live 10 player movements so much. real gameplay footage shows much more robotic Live 10 player movements).
via GIPHY

Live 14
via GIPHY

Live 16 (I don't know why GIPHY makes the Live 16 speed up so fast, it's not that fast during regular gameplay footage).
via GIPHY
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-12-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #3
MVP

BiggD's Arena

OVR: 18

I Think when you try to sell people on a "3 year development" process but seemingly re-boot each year.... it puts a lot of people off.
3.Blake Griffin
4.Ben Wallace
5.Shawn Kemp
Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
MVP

Current Live games have ZERO connection to NBA Live 10, not sure why its still being referenced.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlatinoheatx
Current Live games have ZERO connection to NBA Live 10, not sure why its still being referenced.
It's REFERENCED because it's part of the EA umbrella of games released.
It's REFERENCED because supposedly that was the last best EA NBA basketball released.
It's REFERENCED because people say Live 10 is better than any Live basketball game released for the new consoles.
I REFERENCED it because the player movements in 14 & 16 are significantly better than Live 10.
People REFERENCE history because one needs to understand history before going forward.

EDIT:

Yeah, let's not reference Live 10. Looks like there is a pretty significant connection. "Zero connection" ... more like definite connection.

Quote:
Jonah Ballow catches up with Sean O'Brien, lead producer for NBA Live 10 to find out how EA Sports revamped the video game this year and a first glance at the virtual Jonny Flynn. Download the demo on September 17 for the Playstation 3 and XBOX 360. NBA Live 10 will hit stores on October 6.
Quote:
The executive producer of EA Sports upcoming NBA Live 14 release posted an open letter to fans explaining his hopes for the NBA Live series and how he's working to make it competitive with the NBA 2K games.

Sean O'Brien
posted the letter on the EA Sports website explaining the steps he took to begin the creation of a new NBA Live game [NBA Live 14]

"The first thing that I wanted to do when I got to Orlando was set the direction for the team. After playing and evaluating the state on NBA Live and talking to as many people as I could, I realized that the overall vision was slacking."

Quote:
Ravi Sinha: NBA Live 14 will be the first game in the series since 2009’s NBA Live 10. Firstly, what prompted the desire to bring back the series?

Gary Paterson: Clearly everyone knows that we have made a few missteps with the franchise in the past years, but we still feel like EA SPORTS has the technology, passion and experience to create a great basketball game. With the advent of the new console generation it was the perfect time for us to reset and rebuild. Using the technology of EA SPORTS IGNITEand with a new leadership team taking the game in a new direction, we’re excited to be bringing back NBA LIVE.
Spoiler
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-13-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
Rookie

While Live 14 fell short of expectations, I don't think it permanently damaged Live's reputation. What's harmed Live's rep is EA Sports' inability over six years to release a truly tight game with solid gameplay since Live 09 and Live 10.

That said, I do agree that Live 16 is better than it seems to most people--in recent days, I've even noticed some good changes to gameplay in ProAm/LiveRun. But overall the game isn't even close to being great.

I am pulling for Live 17 to be the best yet, but I'm probably not as optimistic as some of Live's fanboys on Twitter and YouTube.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Twitter: @PopcornJones77
Old 09-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
Rookie

I dont think it does, i personally haven't experienced any issues with my rep.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
MVP

RayRay34's Arena

OVR: 17

Live 11, 12 and 13 damaged the games reputation. That fact that live 11 got pulled days before release told fans EA had no faith in the game. Then they don't even announce a 12 and say they are reworking things just to give us some crappy videos for 13 and another game that didn't see the light of day. It wasn't Live 14 that did it it was the three years between 10 and 14 that killed the series.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »