Home

The problem with the MyCareer draft

This is a discussion on The problem with the MyCareer draft within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0
The problem with the MyCareer draft

I have a problem with the whole MyCareer draft process it just doesn't seem very realistic.

We don't really have a draft combine sure you could say that the college games kinda count but it's college the NBA is a different animal. Even if you have a good college career or a decent one the NBA combine can either improve your draft stock or harm it.

I'd like to see Mock Drafts during college so we can get a clearer picture of where we're projected to go.

We don't even meet with teams before the draft like in previous years for pre draft interviews. After you finish the college games it just skips straight into the draft it really takes away from the immersion and experience of the journey of getting into the NBA.

Teams meet with players before the draft interview them or invite them over for a workout to see if they really fit their team. In 2k it feels like the teams that draft you don't really take anything into consideration they probably threw a bunch of names at a wall and picked you at random it becomes frustrating when they already have a better player at your position and draft you it really takes the fun out of it.

Then we're forced to be a 1st round draft pick no matter how hard you try since 2k12 we've been forced to be a 1st rounder (except for 2k15 where we were forced to go undrafted the point still stands though.) One of the things I liked about 2k11 was that I could have fallen down into the 2nd round really making every MyPlayer's experience unique. It wouldn't hurt either to go undrafted.

Then the actual draft doesn't really feel like one we don't really get to walk across the stage and shake the commissioners hand. I know we can't really have commentary during the draft and I'm fine with it but can you show a short Pre draft show with Ernie, Kenny, and Shaq?

Then after we get picked have them do a breakdown and analysis

What I want to see is everything here from the start til the end of this video

MLB the Show does it where the announcers give their predictions and analysis about your player when you get drafted even if it is short.

Again don't give us commentary during the draft just a preshow and then an analysis if our player gets picked.

The Draft process in NBA 2k's MyCareer has been ignored and I think it's harming the mode. That's even if we have a draft in 2k18 they made you a streetballer that somehow makes the NBA. I really hope they take a more realistic approach in 2k19.

What do you think?

Last edited by zello144; 08-07-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #2
MVP

zello144's Arena

Re: The problem with the MyCareer draft

Bump thoughts anyone?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

The analysis part could definitely be added, even the highlights part because 2K has the rights to all college teams that could be featured in your players highlight videos. Even the background overlay, like instead of Kentucky for the Jamal Murray example, it could be Arizona or whoever for your MyPlayer, because 2K has the rights. Everything mentioned here could be attained because 2K either has the rights to do so or has already done it in the past.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
The analysis part could definitely be added, even the highlights part because 2K has the rights to all college teams that could be featured in your players highlight videos. Even the background overlay, like instead of Kentucky for the Jamal Murray example, it could be Arizona or whoever for your MyPlayer, because 2K has the rights. Everything mentioned here could be attained because 2K either has the rights to do so or has already done it in the past.
Yeah 2k's done things like it in the past and they could easily implement it now if they wanted to.

Replace rookie showcase with NBA Draft in that vid and that would make a great intro for the Draft

Last edited by zello144; 08-07-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

The actually had pre-draft interviews in last-gen but for whatever reason took them out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 AM   #6
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
The actually had pre-draft interviews in last-gen but for whatever reason took them out.
They were in 2k14 this gen but after that they decided to take them out.

They are definitely missed I liked them they really helped me end up on a good basketball situation I could live with, just the other day I created a PG thought I played well in college and I ended up getting drafted to the Celtics. The thing is the Celtics already have a couple PGs on their roster and Isaiah Thomas, not to mention that the story has Justice and Denver also playing Point Guard so I didn't really see my player fitting in there at all. If 2k17 had Pre-Draft interviews I could have pulled a Kobe or Lonzo Ball and told teams like the Celtics not to draft me.

I really wasn't happy playing on the Celtics I seriously simmed the entire Season and choked in the playoffs just to get off that team.

Last edited by zello144; 08-07-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
MVP

EZMADDEN's Arena

My Career mode just isn't realistic as a whole. I really wish it was, but I feel like cutscenes are the reason behind this. I feel like if they were to scrap cutscenes and use that game space on better gameplay we would have a much better game. I also wish that they would go back to the way 2K11 was with the draft combine and summer league, realistic! They also need regression because every my player stays at the max overalls their entire career. I personally don't play My Career anymore because of this. I just stick to player locking in My League which is everything you could ever ask for in a career mode.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
Banned

I fouled out out of every college game and they still drafted me in the first round.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »