Home

Amazon Firestick vs Amazon FireTV

This is a discussion on Amazon Firestick vs Amazon FireTV within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Amazon Firestick vs Amazon FireTV

Ok tech heads talk to me.. I'm in the mist of canceling my cable service and keeping my internet because I feel that cable prices have risen to ridiculous amounts and the service is no different. I have heard that the Amazon Fire stick is an excellent choice and replacing actual cable TV. I would like to know can you watch local stations.. Local stations in HD as well as other movies in HD.. Are Sports of All Kinds readily available such as NBA games NFL games.. And how is the speed?.. Feel free to add anything else you think would help and my decision thank you
I am glad I got the Buell- I love riding it, I love the oddball looks I get on the road- I love people asking "What IS that thing?" I love flying into a corner WAY too hot, scared spitless and sure I'll never hold it at this speed- and hearing the bike whisper "Sissy!"...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Amazon Firestick vs Amazon FireTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaaaazuuuuup
Ok tech heads talk to me.. I'm in the mist of canceling my cable service and keeping my internet because I feel that cable prices have risen to ridiculous amounts and the service is no different. I have heard that the Amazon Fire stick is an excellent choice and replacing actual cable TV. I would like to know can you watch local stations.. Local stations in HD as well as other movies in HD.. Are Sports of All Kinds readily available such as NBA games NFL games.. And how is the speed?.. Feel free to add anything else you think would help and my decision thank you
Its not a replacement.

In order to come close to what you get on cable, you would have to get the following:

- a fire stick/fire TV
- Subscribe to something like Playstation Vue or Sling TV so that you can get some basic cable channels like ESPN/CNN and the major broadcast nets like NBC and CBS.

The reason people say Amazon Fire could be a cable replacement is because of the software Kodi but 1) watching cable content on Kodi is illegal/pirating 2) it isnt really reliable (dead links and mostly non-HD content) and 3) The quality isnt always great.

For me a Fire Stick is perfect for people who want to significantly cut their bill and are OK with having 30-40 channels. If thats you, a fire stick is perfect. Its also great as media streamer (what I use it for).

I cant get it because it isnt reliable and user friendly enough. If I told my wife that we got rid of cable and now she has to hunt through Kodi to find links to her favorite Bravo shows...she would divorce me.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The reason people say Amazon Fire could be a cable replacement is because of the software Kodi but 1) watching cable content on Kodi is illegal/pirating 2) it isnt really reliable (dead links and mostly non-HD content) and 3) The quality isnt always great.
I've heard differing opinions on the reliability of Kodi, particularly the sound.

As far as the legal aspect of it, is it crystal clear? Amazon had the app available until last year but dropped it and issued this as a reason, “Kodi can be used to facilitate the piracy or illegal download of content,”.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 AM   #4
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Its not a replacement.

In order to come close to what you get on cable, you would have to get the following:

- a fire stick/fire TV
- Subscribe to something like Playstation Vue or Sling TV so that you can get some basic cable channels like ESPN/CNN and the major broadcast nets like NBC and CBS.

For me a Fire Stick is perfect for people who want to significantly cut their bill and are OK with having 30-40 channels. If thats you, a fire stick is perfect. Its also great as media streamer (what I use it for).

I cant get it because it isnt reliable and user friendly enough. If I told my wife that we got rid of cable and now she has to hunt through Kodi to find links to her favorite Bravo shows...she would divorce me.
Got rid of directv, got Vue and fire stick for my bedroom.

Watch my fav shows either by watching live, or recording it on the dvr.

Got a chromecast to use if i want to watch tv in another room and i can use my phone /tablet/pc or whatever to watch vue or anything else i want.

It's perfect for me because im not a tv junkie, i have shows i like, and some channels but overall I can do without the extra money being shelled out for junk channels mainstream services make you get.

Seriously who watches 300 channels on average?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:23 AM   #5
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I've heard differing opinions on the reliability of Kodi, particularly the sound.

As far as the legal aspect of it, is it crystal clear? Amazon had the app available until last year but dropped it and issued this as a reason, “Kodi can be used to facilitate the piracy or illegal download of content,”.
You can access illegally streamed content, but you can access legal content through Kodi as well. I'm sure most use it for the illegal content, but that's not it's sole purpose.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #6
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

If you want to watch local channels get a HD antenna and you can use a TiVo for DVR purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74

kodi works fine. I use it to watch the NHL games in HD, because my cable provider only has center ice in SD
Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Its not a replacement.

- a fire stick/fire TV

This and sports are the only reason we still have cable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »