Home

Guide to managing rosters

This is a discussion on Guide to managing rosters within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1

Can anyone point me in the direction of managing rosters for my day to day lineups? I'm really into The Show for once, and one thing I'm struggling with is tired players. I only have four position players on my bench, so I'm struggling to keep in-tired players in my lineup. is there a good way to call guys up from AAA for a few days to give a starter a rest, or a way to manage the 40-man roster to keep more position players available? I'm actually pretty lost when it comes to roster management.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Guide to managing rosters

I can only tell you how I do it. Others may do it differently.

I use manage mode and when I start my franchise I specify no DH because it is far more fun and interesting to manage without DH.

First of all, durability is the key attribute in fatigue for every player. For starting pitchers it determines how quickly they recover from their last start and for position players it determines how often they need a day off.

I carry 13 position players and 12 pitchers. I try to carry at least 1 and preferably 2 pitchers in my bullpen with stamina of 60 or more for long relief. That still leaves you with 5 short relievers which is plenty.

For position players I keep one utility infielder who can play 2b, 3b and ss, one backup C and after that I find guys who can platoon and hit well vs lhp. Rarely will you have 8 guys who hit good vs both lhp and rhp. Since around 70% of pitches faced are vs rhp I try to load up with guys who can hit rhp and carry bench players to fill in vs lhp. That way you give your starters a day off and still get production on the days the opponent uses a left handed starting pitcher. Durability is less important for your bench guys who only start vs lhp because they don't start as often. I make sure I give all of my bench guys at least one start a week. Ideally 5 position players who are everyday players. 3 position players with good durability who hit rhp well and 3 who hit lhp well. 1 backup catcher. 1 good utility infielder. Your utility infielder will get a lot of at bats so it is important to have a good one who won't be a defensive liability and can hit a little.

I also pay attention to the schedule regarding upcoming off days and upcoming starting pitchers for the opponents. If I have an extra off day before my starting pitcher's next start I know I can leave him in a little longer because he has an extra day to recover. If I have a long stretch of games without an off day then I figure when I give my everyday players a day off. One thing I always try to do is to have my best lineup available when my #1 and #2 starting pitchers are going so if I know my everyday players are going to need a day off I do it when my #4 or #5 pitcher is going. As the season progresses my #1 and #2 starting pitchers are usually matched up against lower tier starting pitchers from the other team. By putting my best rested lineup on the field those days I gain an advantage 40% of the time with the combination of my best starting pitchers with my best lineup.

That's how I do it.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I can only tell you how I do it. Others may do it differently.
No, not so differently. I literally manage my team(s) in franchise with almost the exact same mind set.

I do tend to go in and edit the durability ratings for some players. Guys who in real life play 155+ games, I just go ahead an get their durability over 90 if it isn't already. At pet peeve of mine with The Show is how quickly guys get tired and how often they need an extra day off.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

Also, when the game recommends giving a starter a day off, I'll usually push them one more game. Especially if the next day is a day off. I try to rest starters that need rest on day games. Not sure if the game cares but it does IRL so...

Also I usually start my backup catcher two games a week or 3 over two weeks. Something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mrCPUgeek; 01-19-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

When it comes to player fatigue, first of all, aside from the pitchers and catching positions you should rarely ever during the course of the season bench a player due to fatigue notices or the pregame graphics. So when you do find yourself doing it, it shouldn't be a normal routine moreso a special exception throughout the course of the season. I say so because a regular season will/should have enough other circumstances that cost players game time than fatigue (small or lengthy injuries, performances, transactions are all bigger factors than fatigue). Now bullpen management and starting pitchers is often described at the key job of a manager above all so the wisdom that goes into managing those players use and length of playing time.. is a totally different discussion.

Now, I've simmed full seasons (well 161/162 games) with injuries at the maximum setting and only cpu roster decisions..
*these stats come from 2014
The following field players never missed a single game all year:
Joey Votto 1B Reds - 33HR .309 611AB 106RBI
Ben Zobrist 2B Rays/Nats - .293 100RBI 15HR 634AB
Josh Donaldson 3B A's - 647AB .267 24HR .785OPS
Mark Teixeira 1B Yankees - .908OPS 630AB 32HR 0/0SB lol

Notables* - missing 3 or less games
CUBS S. Castro SS - 160/161 G
O's A. Jones OF - 159/161 G
PIT A. McCuthen OF- 158/161 G
KC N. Aoki OF 159/161 - B. Butler DH 159/161 - E. Hosmer 1B 158/161
SEA R. Cano 2B - 159/161
TEX P. Fielder DH/1B - 158/161
ATL C. Johnson 3B - 158/161
STL M. Carpenter 3B/INF - 158/161

List of Catchers Most Games Played

note*NL Catchers see more Pinch Hitting*

National League - 161 Games
M. Montero (ARI) 148 - .304 477AB
A.J Ellis (LAD) 143 - .265 460AB
W. Nieves (PHI) 141 - .247 377AB
Y. Grandal (SD) 138 - .237 447AB
W. Castillo (CHI) 137 - .265 452AB

American League - 161 Games
J. Castro (HOU) 136 - .267 495AB
S. Perez (KC) 135 - .307 498AB
B. McCann (NYY) 131 - .258 466AB
J. Arencibia (TEX) 129 - .230 440AB
M. Zunino (SEA) 124 - .239 435AB

**B. Posey (SF) 153 Plays some 1B.. (Hector Sanchez 116 G)
** J. Pacheco (COL) 145 Plays other positions (W. Rosario 47G [Broken Hand DL] M. McKenry 77G)
**R. Doumit (ATL) 139* Plays other positions.. (E. Gattis 91G)
** J. Pinto (MIN 120)* Mainly a DH (K. Suzuki 100+G)

To go with that, miraculously to me one team did manage to go wire to wire with their starting rotation in the year. I don't know where an accomplishment like this would rank historically ie: if this is a common occurance or not..

(Bear in mind I also had pitching and reliever stamina tuned to 0 along with those injury settings. The wisdom behind that is assuming it would rely on individual stamina and durability ratings for the pitchers.)

Seattle Mariners 161 G - 4.07 Team ERA (17th) [7CGs 9SOs]:

F. Hernandez 33 GS 9-7 2.83 ERA
H. Iwakuma 32 GS 9-11 3.64 ERA
E. Ramirez 32 GS 14-9 4.22 ERA
T. Walker 32 GS 12-10 4.82 ERA
C. Young 32 GS 9-10 3.69 ERA

Closest Team to get near that mark is ATL but Julio Tehran apparently has a couple of issues.

Every other team, due to various reasons was unable to come near this type of statistical feat.

Hopefully these examples will guide you in terms of how you are willing to manage your players. Again just note that my simulated season has maximum injury impact and the adjustments to pitcher stamina global sliders.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 01-16-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: teixeira nvr attempted a stolen base
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

I tend to have at least 5 players on my bench. 2 utility infielders on my bench and a 4th outfielder that platoons with all of the outfielders and of course a back up catcher, and one power hitter who fills in for first base or a corner outfielder spot. the way I normally work it, is after the 3rd day after a off day when everyone is well rested, I will sit a starting outfielder and use my 4th, the next day one of the other starting outfielders sit (however, my 4th outfielder should be a starter, but is a rookie). when it comes to the infield its most the same once one dips below half of their energy I will sub him. I will say nobody on my team plays more than 145 games in the season due to it. other thing I do too but not as often is if I win the first 2 games of a series, I will throw out, I guess you can say the "B" squad and most of the bench starts. with the catcher I normally play 4 to 5 with the starter and then sub for a game with the back up. Now when it comes to pitchers, I usually keep a starter as a long relief role or as a 6th starter on long stretches.

my line up looks like this for my 2017 cardinals franchise

fowler cf
diaz ss
carpenter 3b
EE 1b
piscotty rf
Molina c
grichuk lf
wong 2b

{bench} adams 1b, bader of, gracia 2b/ss, gyrko 2b/3b, Kelly C

martinez
waino
reyes
wacha
lynn

{relief} leake (long relief or 6th starter) duke , cecil, Rosenthal, oh(closer), segrist, maness.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
Rookie

This is my first year playing the show and I just started franchise mode. Is there somewhere that shows the players fatigue throughout the season? I sim every game and was wondering if there was somewhere easy to bench and adjust a lineup for the specific game/pitcher versus going in to manage all 4 of my lineups? Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghalem
This is my first year playing the show and I just started franchise mode. Is there somewhere that shows the players fatigue throughout the season? I sim every game and was wondering if there was somewhere easy to bench and adjust a lineup for the specific game/pitcher versus going in to manage all 4 of my lineups? Hopefully that makes sense.

Prior to the start of each game when you go to the lineup you will see current fatigue or stamina level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »