Home

Madden needs a throwing meter!!!

This is a discussion on Madden needs a throwing meter!!! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2017, 04:36 AM   #1
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden needs a throwing meter!!!

I'd like to have a throwing meter like the one in MLB The Show. I can't stand whenever I have an open receiver or tight end running through the middle of the field between the linebackers and the safties and not being able to drop in that perfect pass! It'll either be overthrown and picked off by a safety or under thrown and picked off by a linebacker! A throwing meter would help us put just the right amount of air or heat on our passes! What do you guys think?
NCAA: Florida State Seminoles
NHL: Florida Panthers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Madden needs a throwing meter!!!

They definately need to overall the passing mechanics for the non arcade side. A meter could be part of that along with accuracy penalties for throwing with bad footing, across your body and other ridiculous abilities. They need to be enforced on the cpu qb also. The while running to the right sideline and throwing 50 yards downfield to the left sideline across your body with the tap of a button needs to end as well as throwing bombs while backpedaling with contact. Also, the falling down and throwing bullets from two feet off the ground that somehow get up and over all the linemen and to a receiver. Qb play needs to be a big focus, it has been the same for 20 plus years with virtually no change. I know they will never change it for casual fans but hopefully we will get a game within the game at some point for sim guys.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

No thanks. I'd think this issue is more about knowing throws your QB can make and using the throwing modifiers as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
No thanks. I'd think this issue is more about knowing throws your QB can make and using the throwing modifiers as well.
This. The modifiers has changed the game drastically. Throwing lobs over the linebackers on deep post routes, throwing low and underneath on hitch routes, etc.

I just wish they would fix the bug where CPU QB's throw for >70% completions every game and you wouldn't need to lower the sliders so much in WR catching to create drops to lower the completion rate. Fact is in the NFL there's spectacular catches all the time, and not just from elite receivers. I'd like to be able to see the CPU throw a bullet between 2 defenders into the slot receiver's chest and he actually catches it, but you can even get an elite receiver to catch a basic 1 on 1 jump ball with sliders on the forums.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben2424
I'd like to have a throwing meter like the one in MLB The Show. I can't stand whenever I have an open receiver or tight end running through the middle of the field between the linebackers and the safties and not being able to drop in that perfect pass! It'll either be overthrown and picked off by a safety or under thrown and picked off by a linebacker! A throwing meter would help us put just the right amount of air or heat on our passes! What do you guys think?
No, thanks. I don't want a game where all QB are playing like a God, despite a low rating.

All QBs aren't Rodgers, Big Ben or Brady.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvalos
No, thanks. I don't want a game where all QB are playing like a God, despite a low rating.

All QBs aren't Rodgers, Big Ben or Brady.

A throwing meter doesn't mean every QB would be perfect. The QB's accuracy and arm strength ratings would still play a factor on the kind of throw that would come out! The meter would simply allow us to dictate how hard/soft we want the ball thrown...that doesn't mean it'll land exactly where you'd want it to! Personally, I think the idea of a throwing meter (which takes player ratings into account) is a great idea that would further add to the realism.
NCAA: Florida State Seminoles
NHL: Florida Panthers
Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
Rookie

scoobyskyline3's Arena

A throwing meter just sounds like a nano sack fest to me

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

There already is somewhat of a "meter." Control of the buttons allows for touch, lob, or bullet passes while using the directional stick can guide the pass where you want (leading the receiver in, out, upfield, downfield, etc). I really, truly, don't see a need to go deeper than that. Learn to control those, and you will get all the benefits of the meter you desire. You can actually really thread the needle using the touch and directional stick when you throw.

A meter would be AWFUL. It just doesn't work for football. It's ok in baseball, because its a wind up to the pitch where nothing is going on. Decent in basketball, I guess, because once you have an open shot you are taking it and shooting at a stationary object.

In football though, you're trying to fit the ball into a small space. Defenders close the gap, the receiver is on the move, and pressure is bearing down on you.

-A meter would force you to truly read a defense and "wind up" for the throw before the guy is actually open. Sure, that's true to real life, but a casual gamer isn't going to have that skill. Many gamers look for an open man and throw, instead of reading "ok corners are dropping its cover 4, hitting the underneath hook" without actually looking at the receiver. That's a deeper football skill, and would make passing really difficult for some.

-A meter would take your eyes off the game and focus them in one spot. When you're looking for a WR, the last thing you should be doing is taking your eyes off the downfield players and focusing on a little meter. It would also take your eyes off the rush, so you wouldn't know to throw on the run if someone is coming in for the sack.

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »