Home

How do you handle players with slow development?

This is a discussion on How do you handle players with slow development? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Rookie

markjsn's Arena

OVR: 0

On my niners franchise I have a running back that is a decent 78 ovr great speed 96. But he has slow development. I usually trade these guys away but I'm trying to use a lot of house rules for a more challenging rebuild on this one and don't want to do that.
How do you ha handle them? Should I save his xp and buy the normal trait or just improve his skills?

Also he won NFC player of the week and didn't go up to normal.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Flyin' High

Birdman18's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: How do you handle players with slow development?

Just improve his skills.. if he can make the pro bowl, his dev trait will go up in the offseason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Since he's a RB is should he easier to focus on upgrading skills during season, which would help him get yearly/weekly awards. Then I'd upgrade his dev trait.

DBs I do the opposite. Save up then do the dev trait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Rookie

Do it like in real life

Honestly, I treat these players in a similar way the would be treated in the NFL. They are drafted so they will get their chance, as a starter or backup. Give him 1-2 or more years and see how he develops. If he is able to win some awards he will go up to Normal/Quick development. See where he is with his skills and then decide, if you want to trade him, just let him go or re-sign him.

Two examples in my franchise:
- Drafted a pass rusher (OLB) at the end of the first round. Good thing he was 79 OVR with 80+ in both pass rush skills if I remember correctly, but he had Slow development. For a full 2 years he has been only backup to Bruce Irvin until he had become just too old. Now the guy with slow development got his chance, played great and developed his skill and won some awards. Now he is 99 OVR with Superstar development...

- Gave 3 high draft picks to jump to No. 1 overall to draft my future franchise quarterback (he looked great after scouting). Then he was 76 OVR with normal development and I was a bit disappointed. However Carr was old and I gave him the chance to start a few games - I don't know why, but he was absolutely brilliant. He never looked back and finished the season with 40+ TD's and 4500+ Yards and won nearly every award I can remember of at age 21 (Best QB, OPOY, OROY, NFL MVP, Pro Bowl, Leader in passer rating,...). He jumped to 85 OVR, Quick Dev. and has now about 85.000 XP to spend (I let the CPU develop players, so he will get Superstar dev). Carr is rated better in nearly every category, but has never won such an award...
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Rookie

markjsn's Arena

Thanks for the input everyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

I hear you, Para.

A month ago I drafted a QB at 1.02 and planned to start him right away. Came out around 80 ovr. He threw 35TD/25INTs his first season, then began his second season the same way, but got hurt and was out for the year.

So I sub'd in Connor Cook and the guy went bananas. 41TD/8INTs. Made far fewer mistakes for some reason. My team whole just seemed to run better with him at QB. I can't explain it.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

TBH, i've pretty much learnt to ignore the dev trait. you can get most players into the 90s before their rookie contracts run regardless of their dev trait.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Rookie

I just drafted a cb with slow dev he was a 78 overall out the gate I'll post his photo at the bottom... but he had barely any attributes that played into him being a playmaker so I've focused on getting him high motor, aggressive, and clutch which should translate into great play gaining more point and awards so in other words focus on the traits/ or specific position attributes and use awards and season goals to up his trait dev I also have the cbXP boost so lookin to getting the HB XP boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »