Home

My Coach mode 2k5 settings after years of trial and error...

This is a discussion on My Coach mode 2k5 settings after years of trial and error... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
My Coach mode 2k5 settings after years of trial and error...

Just sharing in case any one else may benefit...

I play coach mode only and like others have spent years trying to hone and tweak 2k5. Here is what I've landed on and would recommend to any other coach mode players who may want to minimize global player ability modifications...Some of this is information I've gathers from other posters so I do not claim credit. I just found that this particular collection of ideas has come the closest to Gold for me.

Passing is nearly always 60%+ for both teams, usually 65%-70% with 0-2 total interceptions. That's 0-2 combined interceptions for both teams. Rushing feels great and yields very realistic results. If you don't get pressure on the opposing qb you will get beaten.

Here are my settings: (Reasons why/justifications can be found below)

<-------BEGIN SETTINGS-------->

1. DISABLE PRESEASON GAMES
  2. LOWER ALL QB READ COVERAGE -50 BEFORE SEASON STARTS
  3. MUST ENABLE THE CATCH CHEAT EACH GAME. ITS CALLED STICKUM. YOU WILL STILL SEE 0-2 DROPS PER GAME BUT THIS REALLY HELPS COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
  4. TAKE THE NYG PLAYBOOK AND REMOVE 70-80% OF THE '90' SERIES 3-STEP DROP PASSING PLAYS
  5. TAKE EVERY 3 OFFENSIVE FORMATIONS IN SUBSTITUTIONS AND REPLACE THE STARTING HB WITH THE BACKUP HALFBACK (CAN ALSO DO EVERY 2 FORMATIONS TO INCREASE HB 'SUB' RATE)
  6. REMOVE THE BEAR DEFENSE. IT WILL FORCE YOU TO KEEP ONE PLAY TRY KEEPING ONE THAT IS AS CONSERVATIVE AS POSSIBLE AND THEN SAVE. CPU USES BEAR TO OFTEN IMO WHICH LEADS TO WAY TO MANY BIG PASSING PLAYS DOWN THE SIDELINES
  7. COPY THIS NYG PLAYBOOK AND REMOVE THE 4-3, NICKEL AND DIME DEFENSES. NAME THIS NEW PLAYBOOK AS NYG 3-4 OR SIMILAR
  8. ADD 3-4 BASE, 3-4 NICKEL, 3-4 DIME BUT DO NOT RE-ADD BEAR
  9. SLIDERS: (START WITH ALL-PRO DEFAULT)
    1. PASSING - LEAVE AT 50%
    2. RUNNING ABILITY - LEAVE AT 50%
    3. BLOCKING - LEAVE AT 50%
    4. CATCHING - LEAVE AT 50%
    5. PURSUIT - SET TO ZERO
    6. COVERAGE - SET TO ZERO
    7. TACKLING - LEAVE AT 50%
    8. KICKING - LEAVE AT 50%
    9. STAMINA - SET TO 4 CLICKS FROM LEFT
    10. INTERCEPTIONS - SET TO ZERO
    11. INJURY - LEAVE AT 50%
    12. FUMBLES - SET TO 23-25 CLICKS (20 IS 50%)
  10. SET QUARTER LENGTH TO 9 MINUTES
  11. AUTO SUBS 65-70% OUT, 95% IN
  12. LEAVE WEEKLY PREP ON BUT ONLY USE IT TO CHECK THE SCOUTING SUMMARY/INJURY REPORTS. DO NOT USE IT TO ACTUALLY RUN WEEKLY PREP PRACTICES
  13. PICK 4 WEEKS DURING THE SEASON AND SET CPU SIM GAME LENGTH TO 6 MINUTES. THE REST OF THE WEEKS SHOULD BE 5 MINUTES
  14. ONCE POST SEASON STARTS YOU HAVE TO WORK AROUND THE STARTING QB BUG. OTHERS HAVE SUGGESTED GOOD WORK AROUNDS FOR THIS. I MAKE ALL TEAMS HUMAN IF I DON'T MAKE POST SEASON
  15. TAKE CONTROL OF ALL TEAMS VIA EDITOR RIGHT BEFORE COLLEGE DRAFT AND HAND PICK EACH TEAMS SELECTION. YOU CAN DROP OUT OF THE DRAFT EACH PICK TO REVIEW EACH TEAMS STRENGTH, RE-ENTER DRAFT AND MAKE PICK
  16. AFTER FIRST ROUND GO BACK INTO EDITOR AND MAKE ALL TEAMS CPU EXCEPT YOURS, RE-ENTER AND RESUME DRAFT
  17. IF YOU FEEL AGGRESSIVE BACK UP YOUR SAVE AND USE THE EDITOR TO WORK AROUND THE SCHEDULE BUG DURING OFFSEASON. I TRIED THIS ONCE AND MESSED UP MY SAVE. MAY TRY AGAIN AT SOME POINT.

<---------END SETTINGS--------->

1. The CPU makes terrible roster decisions based on injuries in preseason. I've found the best thing to do is disable preseason.
  2. There is only one global player modification that I've found to be mandatory after using it for several years (LOWERING QB READ COVERAGE FOR ALL QBs BY -50)You really have to try it to see why. QBs will play a BIT more like 2k4, but don't expect the same level of QB scrambling. Rather the QBs will take longer to make reads SO THEY WON'T THROW ROCKET BALLS AS SOON AS THEY FINISH THEIR DROPBACK. You will see QBs take more time in the pocket and will definitely see more dump offs to backs out of the backfield, especially when you call a play with a rb as primary rec. Hint: Leverage the editors global backup options. Great feature. Do a league backup before your QB read coverage change, then when the season ends simply restore from backup before off season
  3. This is something I started using a year ago. Wish I would've tried it sooner. It makes the game more about needing to get pressure on the qb versus a game of dropped passes, knockdowns and rocket ball rushed throws. If you don't get pressure, the qb will typically deliver a a catchable ball. you will still see occaisional drops, and even balls jarred loose. just no where near the same rate as w/out the option. Also, TE's and RB's seem to really benefit.
  4. Lowering the QB PRC will result in too many DT sacks if you leave to many '90' series plays in. Also, the QB will attempt to throw on the run from this dropback, which leads to illegal throw beyond the LOS
  5. Stamina at 4 clicks helps. But to get a better RB balance like current NFL you need to manually pick certain formations and make the backup RB the starter.
  6. IMO the CPU uses Bear to frequently. I noticed that I was seeing to many big passing plays down the sidelines, where this defense is vulnerable.
  7. Create a 3-4 version of the NYG playbook, to use for teams that leverage 3-4 like Houston, Steelers etc
  8. Add 3-4 base,nickel,dime
  9. Sliders. You need pursuit and coverage to be zero to actually gain spacing on the field. short plays over the middle will actually work as well. Pursuit, as others here have commented, has a HUGE impact on defensive gameplay. Personal preference on fumbles; since these settings reduce interceptions, raising this to 24,25 creates turnovers
  10. 9 Minute quarters gives me about 120 plays per game but tweak to your playing style. As long as you are close to 120 per game you're good.
  11. Got the auto sub values from other posters here. Seem to work well with a 4 click from left stamina setting
  12. I like to go into weekly prep before I start a game to check scouting matchups and injuries. Then I back out and select NO to prepare for game to play the actual game. I do not like the advantage weekly prep gives to the human team. If is simmed the same for CPU I'd use it.
  13. Picking 4 weeks during the season to set the sim game length improves overall CPU stats. Add a game or two to your liking.
  14. Post season starting QB bug. No choice here but to take control of each team every post season week to ensure proper player starts
  15. A real head scratcher on the 1st round of the draft and why the CPU only drafts certain players. Guessing it was a casualty of the game being rushed to market. Anyway, I like to take control of all teams and hand pick each teams 1st rounder based on need. This really familiarizes you with your league and adds immersion.
  16. After the 1st round flip the teams back to CPU (except yours) and resume draft
  17. Unfortunately another bug is that you will always play the same 3 conference teams every year. You could try changing the schedule in the editor, but I haven't done much with this yet.
Anyway, just hoping that these settings can bring enjoyment to any other coach mode players out there

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: My Coach mode 2k5 settings after years of trial and error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersville123
Just sharing in case any one else may benefit...

I play coach mode only and like others have spent years trying to hone and tweak 2k5. Here is what I've landed on and would recommend to any other coach mode players who may want to minimize global player ability modifications...Some of this is information I've gathers from other posters so I do not claim credit. I just found that this particular collection of ideas has come the closest to Gold for me.

Passing is nearly always 60%+ for both teams, usually 65%-70% with 0-2 total interceptions. That's 0-2 combined interceptions for both teams. Rushing feels great and yields very realistic results. If you don't get pressure on the opposing qb you will get beaten.

Here are my settings: (Reasons why/justifications can be found below)

<-------BEGIN SETTINGS-------->

1. DISABLE PRESEASON GAMES
  2. LOWER ALL QB READ COVERAGE -50 BEFORE SEASON STARTS
  3. MUST ENABLE THE CATCH CHEAT EACH GAME. ITS CALLED STICKUM. YOU WILL STILL SEE 0-2 DROPS PER GAME BUT THIS REALLY HELPS COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
  4. TAKE THE NYG PLAYBOOK AND REMOVE 70-80% OF THE '90' SERIES 3-STEP DROP PASSING PLAYS
  5. TAKE EVERY 3 OFFENSIVE FORMATIONS IN SUBSTITUTIONS AND REPLACE THE STARTING HB WITH THE BACKUP HALFBACK (CAN ALSO DO EVERY 2 FORMATIONS TO INCREASE HB 'SUB' RATE)
  6. REMOVE THE BEAR DEFENSE. IT WILL FORCE YOU TO KEEP ONE PLAY TRY KEEPING ONE THAT IS AS CONSERVATIVE AS POSSIBLE AND THEN SAVE. CPU USES BEAR TO OFTEN IMO WHICH LEADS TO WAY TO MANY BIG PASSING PLAYS DOWN THE SIDELINES
  7. COPY THIS NYG PLAYBOOK AND REMOVE THE 4-3, NICKEL AND DIME DEFENSES. NAME THIS NEW PLAYBOOK AS NYG 3-4 OR SIMILAR
  8. ADD 3-4 BASE, 3-4 NICKEL, 3-4 DIME BUT DO NOT RE-ADD BEAR
  9. SLIDERS: (START WITH ALL-PRO DEFAULT)
    1. PASSING - LEAVE AT 50%
    2. RUNNING ABILITY - LEAVE AT 50%
    3. BLOCKING - LEAVE AT 50%
    4. CATCHING - LEAVE AT 50%
    5. PURSUIT - SET TO ZERO
    6. COVERAGE - SET TO ZERO
    7. TACKLING - LEAVE AT 50%
    8. KICKING - LEAVE AT 50%
    9. STAMINA - SET TO 4 CLICKS FROM LEFT
    10. INTERCEPTIONS - SET TO ZERO
    11. INJURY - LEAVE AT 50%
    12. FUMBLES - SET TO 23-25 CLICKS (20 IS 50%)
  10. SET QUARTER LENGTH TO 9 MINUTES
  11. AUTO SUBS 65-70% OUT, 95% IN
  12. LEAVE WEEKLY PREP ON BUT ONLY USE IT TO CHECK THE SCOUTING SUMMARY/INJURY REPORTS. DO NOT USE IT TO ACTUALLY RUN WEEKLY PREP PRACTICES
  13. PICK 4 WEEKS DURING THE SEASON AND SET CPU SIM GAME LENGTH TO 6 MINUTES. THE REST OF THE WEEKS SHOULD BE 5 MINUTES
  14. ONCE POST SEASON STARTS YOU HAVE TO WORK AROUND THE STARTING QB BUG. OTHERS HAVE SUGGESTED GOOD WORK AROUNDS FOR THIS. I MAKE ALL TEAMS HUMAN IF I DON'T MAKE POST SEASON
  15. TAKE CONTROL OF ALL TEAMS VIA EDITOR RIGHT BEFORE COLLEGE DRAFT AND HAND PICK EACH TEAMS SELECTION. YOU CAN DROP OUT OF THE DRAFT EACH PICK TO REVIEW EACH TEAMS STRENGTH, RE-ENTER DRAFT AND MAKE PICK
  16. AFTER FIRST ROUND GO BACK INTO EDITOR AND MAKE ALL TEAMS CPU EXCEPT YOURS, RE-ENTER AND RESUME DRAFT
  17. IF YOU FEEL AGGRESSIVE BACK UP YOUR SAVE AND USE THE EDITOR TO WORK AROUND THE SCHEDULE BUG DURING OFFSEASON. I TRIED THIS ONCE AND MESSED UP MY SAVE. MAY TRY AGAIN AT SOME POINT.

<---------END SETTINGS--------->

1. The CPU makes terrible roster decisions based on injuries in preseason. I've found the best thing to do is disable preseason.
  2. There is only one global player modification that I've found to be mandatory after using it for several years (LOWERING QB READ COVERAGE FOR ALL QBs BY -50)You really have to try it to see why. QBs will play a BIT more like 2k4, but don't expect the same level of QB scrambling. Rather the QBs will take longer to make reads SO THEY WON'T THROW ROCKET BALLS AS SOON AS THEY FINISH THEIR DROPBACK. You will see QBs take more time in the pocket and will definitely see more dump offs to backs out of the backfield, especially when you call a play with a rb as primary rec. Hint: Leverage the editors global backup options. Great feature. Do a league backup before your QB read coverage change, then when the season ends simply restore from backup before off season
  3. This is something I started using a year ago. Wish I would've tried it sooner. It makes the game more about needing to get pressure on the qb versus a game of dropped passes, knockdowns and rocket ball rushed throws. If you don't get pressure, the qb will typically deliver a a catchable ball. you will still see occaisional drops, and even balls jarred loose. just no where near the same rate as w/out the option. Also, TE's and RB's seem to really benefit.
  4. Lowering the QB PRC will result in too many DT sacks if you leave to many '90' series plays in. Also, the QB will attempt to throw on the run from this dropback, which leads to illegal throw beyond the LOS
  5. Stamina at 4 clicks helps. But to get a better RB balance like current NFL you need to manually pick certain formations and make the backup RB the starter.
  6. IMO the CPU uses Bear to frequently. I noticed that I was seeing to many big passing plays down the sidelines, where this defense is vulnerable.
  7. Create a 3-4 version of the NYG playbook, to use for teams that leverage 3-4 like Houston, Steelers etc
  8. Add 3-4 base,nickel,dime
  9. Sliders. You need pursuit and coverage to be zero to actually gain spacing on the field. short plays over the middle will actually work as well. Pursuit, as others here have commented, has a HUGE impact on defensive gameplay. Personal preference on fumbles; since these settings reduce interceptions, raising this to 24,25 creates turnovers
  10. 9 Minute quarters gives me about 120 plays per game but tweak to your playing style. As long as you are close to 120 per game you're good.
  11. Got the auto sub values from other posters here. Seem to work well with a 4 click from left stamina setting
  12. I like to go into weekly prep before I start a game to check scouting matchups and injuries. Then I back out and select NO to prepare for game to play the actual game. I do not like the advantage weekly prep gives to the human team. If is simmed the same for CPU I'd use it.
  13. Picking 4 weeks during the season to set the sim game length improves overall CPU stats. Add a game or two to your liking.
  14. Post season starting QB bug. No choice here but to take control of each team every post season week to ensure proper player starts
  15. A real head scratcher on the 1st round of the draft and why the CPU only drafts certain players. Guessing it was a casualty of the game being rushed to market. Anyway, I like to take control of all teams and hand pick each teams 1st rounder based on need. This really familiarizes you with your league and adds immersion.
  16. After the 1st round flip the teams back to CPU (except yours) and resume draft
  17. Unfortunately another bug is that you will always play the same 3 conference teams every year. You could try changing the schedule in the editor, but I haven't done much with this yet.
Anyway, just hoping that these settings can bring enjoyment to any other coach mode players out there

Thank you for this. I may have to fire it bk up after all these years. I've done something similar for APF coach mode in that gold RB's can be too powerful...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »