Home

Stealing-does this happen to anyone else?

This is a discussion on Stealing-does this happen to anyone else? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
Stealing-does this happen to anyone else?

One thing I always found odd...not just in this year's iteration of the game...is the cpu often (not always) seems to know when I will be stealing.

Example - runner on first (does not have to be a speed demon)...I press the left stick and L2 for the steal while pitcher is going into wind up. More often than not, the pitcher will throw over to first or even sometimes pitch out.

Now this may not seem odd, but it could be the first time I attempted a steal like in the 6th inning or something. Not like I have been running all day. There must be something in the code that triggers when I indicate I am stealing. I can't figure it out.

I am NOT using L1 to take a bigger lead. It is just L2 to indicate the steal.

Anyone else notice this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stealing-does this happen to anyone else?

Not noticed it but I tend to take advantage of the computers predictability to steal. They won't pitch out or slide step if there are two balls or two strikes, so that's the time for an easy steal
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
One thing I always found odd...not just in this year's iteration of the game...is the cpu often (not always) seems to know when I will be stealing.

Example - runner on first (does not have to be a speed demon)...I press the left stick and L2 for the steal while pitcher is going into wind up. More often than not, the pitcher will throw over to first or even sometimes pitch out.

Now this may not seem odd, but it could be the first time I attempted a steal like in the 6th inning or something. Not like I have been running all day. There must be something in the code that triggers when I indicate I am stealing. I can't figure it out.

I am NOT using L1 to take a bigger lead. It is just L2 to indicate the steal.

Anyone else notice this?

If you lower pick offs, you will stop some of the CPU throwing over. I did that in years past, but this yr I havent messed with it, as I felt it works much better in 17. I do know if you take a extra step with a man on 1st only the CPU will always throw over.

It does seem since the last 2 patches, that stealing is much harder, than it was out of the box.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

I gave up on stealing this year..I can't even swipe a base half the time..even with Mookie Betts holding an 83 speed rating..Even with a good jump I get tossed out more often than not..
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0

i dont seem to have too much of a problem stealing, the last game i just played, i stole 2nd and it was so easy my guy was pretty much at 2nd base by the time the ball left the pitchers hand.

now i will say, that occasionally, if i extend my lead the cpu will throw over before i could even do anything, its like the very split second that you press the extend lead off he will throw over giving you literally no time to react.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkarl76
I gave up on stealing this year..I can't even swipe a base half the time..even with Mookie Betts holding an 83 speed rating..Even with a good jump I get tossed out more often than not..
I did to, it's one of the more frustrating things for me.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syce
i dont seem to have too much of a problem stealing, the last game i just played, i stole 2nd and it was so easy my guy was pretty much at 2nd base by the time the ball left the pitchers hand.

now i will say, that occasionally, if i extend my lead the cpu will throw over before i could even do anything, its like the very split second that you press the extend lead off he will throw over giving you literally no time to react.
Same here. So far I've had decent success "knock on wood"
I pick my spots and certain criteria needs to be there (count, pitcher on mound, catcher arm etc..)

I rarely take an extra step (bi-product of a couple years ago that seemed to be an auto success when extra step was taken) -- haven't played enough to know if that is an issue this year.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 05-02-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Rookie

DeJohn11's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syce

A lot of pitchers will try and time a throw over to match a runner taking a step in their leadoff, especially if a runner tends to "crossover" his legs while taking a lead.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »