Home

Rookie call up penalties?

This is a discussion on Rookie call up penalties? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Rookie call up penalties?

I am not sure the correct terminology but does the game have "penalties" for calling up a rookie before a certain date like in MLB. Example is Yuon Moncada for the White Sox. I know teams hold off on calling up players for certain reasons, other than to develop, and am wondering if The Show has this. I started my White Sox franchise and could not resist having Moncada on my roster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Rookie call up penalties?

I think you may be referring to the super two arb rule. Basically, if you call a player up too early, the player can qualify for four years of arbitration instead of three. Not sure how much of an issue that is for franchise players.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 AM   #3
Rookie

Yes? Since you called him up opening day, you only have him for 6 years under team control. If you called up Yoan two weeks into the season then you'd be able to keep him a whole nother year. So he would go through 3 years of team control and 4 years of arbitration. If you waited until close to the end of the second month, then you would avoid super two status, which means 4 years of team control and 3 years of arbitration.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Somewhat related to this...

Is there a way to prevent the cpu from initiating September call-ups? I have simmed a lot of franchises as tests (see stats and how players progress, etc.) and I always have roster moves set to manual; nevertheless, the cpu always calls up stud minor leaguers that I'd rather keep down for the full year. I know they won't do this with guys not on the 40 man roster, but I don't want to expose a 19 year old in the mid 70's with A or B potential to other teams by taking him off the 40 man. Anyone find a workaround to this?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Somewhat related to this...

Is there a way to prevent the cpu from initiating September call-ups? I have simmed a lot of franchises as tests (see stats and how players progress, etc.) and I always have roster moves set to manual; nevertheless, the cpu always calls up stud minor leaguers that I'd rather keep down for the full year. I know they won't do this with guys not on the 40 man roster, but I don't want to expose a 19 year old in the mid 70's with A or B potential to other teams by taking him off the 40 man. Anyone find a workaround to this?
Can't you just go into Roster Management after the September call ups happen and reassign him back to AAA/AA/A?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
Yes? Since you called him up opening day, you only have him for 6 years under team control. If you called up Yoan two weeks into the season then you'd be able to keep him a whole nother year. So he would go through 3 years of team control and 4 years of arbitration. If you waited until close to the end of the second month, then you would avoid super two status, which means 4 years of team control and 3 years of arbitration.
Really? Dang I already started my franchise with him on my opening day roster and already raking. I hit his first career home run in the second game of my season last night. Oh well not like I will play to a point where it matters to me long term anyway.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Can't you just go into Roster Management after the September call ups happen and reassign him back to AAA/AA/A?
Yes, but it still uses up a year of club control and brings morale into play. As opposed to a rookie who's not on the 40 man and can be renewed continuously...that's what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Yes, but it still uses up a year of club control and brings morale into play. As opposed to a rookie who's not on the 40 man and can be renewed continuously...that's what I'm trying to avoid.
The only way I know of to get around that is not have them on your active 40 man roster.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »