Home

In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

This is a discussion on In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/we-g...ead-mike-young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

Yep, Mike Young confirmed there isn't a single NFL game played in this mode.

I just can't fathom why he would think that was a good idea. You can have a great story AND have the player play in the NFL too.

After 4 years of development too?

Come on.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: In depth Interview by Kat Bailey with Creative Director Mike Young on Longshot

Sounds like QTE and cutscenes. They keep acting like this is revolutionary and groundbreaking like 2k hasn't done it the past 2 years and Fight Night Champion didn't have a story mode the same way.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
Yep, Mike Young confirmed there isn't a single NFL game played in this mode.

I just can't fathom why he would think that was a good idea. You can have a great story AND have the player play in the NFL too.

After 4 years of development too?

Come on.
Probably going to go the route FIFA went where multiple years of Madden flesh out the story for the protagonist. To that end, separating the NFL experience from the "making it to the NFL" experience is perfectly reasonable storytelling.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #5
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Probably going to go the route FIFA went where multiple years of Madden flesh out the story for the protagonist. To that end, separating the NFL experience from the "making it to the NFL" experience is perfectly reasonable storytelling.
I'd be fine with that if it was every year like FIFA is doing where they're continuing Alex Hunter's story in this year's FIFA game.

But considering it took EA 4 years to make this Madden story, are we going to have to wait another 4 years for the next story?

4 years is a LONG time to make a story like this. Games like Skyrim, GTA 5, Witcher 3, and other blockbuster titles took 4 years to make and those were full games. (GTA 5 actually took 3 years of development).

If EA comes out with a continuation story each year, I'm good with what they're doing.

I just don't want franchise mode to be neglected in place of this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2017, 01:35 AM   #6
Rookie

Kingd803's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
This is a game brother. We want to play it. Not watch it. You've got to admit this is a bit ridiculous. Madden is literally so far behind the others in gameplay, presentation, franchise, and customization that it's ridiculous. These resources could have been used to improve things or add things that we've been BEGGING for. And or other games have had for almost a decade.

Do you see what I and many others are saying? Please just acknowledge it. I swear when anyone says something about madden you respond and try to defend it. And it's nothing personal. You seem like a respectful and professional person. I don't mean any disrespect at all. But honestly it seems the higher ups here don't want any negativity towards EA.

Let me put it like this. Football is my passion. Like I'm sure it is to most here. I mean I really have to deep respect for the game. I am a very casual basketball fan. I don't know the x's and 0's of its strategy. I buy 2k almost every year. I'm blown away yearly by what they do and what that game allows me to do. Madden, I don't but often. When I do I end up playing a handful of times and never pick it back up. I return to older games to get my football fix.

I've provided a ton of constructive criticism to the team. Made videos. Talked to the devs. And at this point madden just continues to move in the opposite direction that I personally want it to move it. It's just very frustrating.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I'd be fine with that if it was every year like FIFA is doing where they're continuing Alex Hunter's story in this year's FIFA game.

But considering it took EA 4 years to make this Madden story, are we going to have to wait another 4 years for the next story?
I have to believe most of that is A) one-time tech ramp-up (getting Frostbite in place, building common assets, etc.) and B) overarching story design. If they've been working on this for four years, they absolutely have a plan also of where they want to go in the next four years. If nothing else, they will pattern their mode after FIFA and do the exact same thing FIFA does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingd803
This is a game brother. We want to play it. Not watch it. You've got to admit this is a bit ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous whatsoever, Longshot just isn't for you. Quoting myself from a different thread:

Quote:
Longshot is for someone who has never played Madden before and finds the game and its deep mechanics too intimidating to even consider.

Remember one-button mode from NCAA Football? I get the impression that Longshot is more-or-less equivalent to that; not necessarily in terms of profoundly nerfing the gameplay, but rather it acts as the first step in ramping up a new player who has literally never touched Madden before. It's a mode which exists to ease a new player into learning the core game mechanics - how to throw passes (the seven-on-seven drills), how to break tackles (the QTEs), learning football concepts in a low-pressure situations (the Gruden QB camp), and so on. It wraps all that teaching and ramping the user up the learning curve in an interesting story context which will encourage the user to move forward, as opposed to Skills Trainer which, while useful, lacks any and all context and doesn't keep a new player engaged.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:09 AM   #8
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingd803
I've provided a ton of constructive criticism to the team. Made videos. Talked to the devs. And at this point madden just continues to move in the opposite direction that I personally want it to move it. It's just very frustrating.
That's EA though. The suits dictate it all. I absolutely agree with you but as tough a pill as it is to swallow, it has to be realized that they're not making the game for us, they're making it for dollars. If you're not spending cash on MUT packs the only thing thing they care about is either A) how can they get you to spend money on MUT packs or B) how can I find someone else to spend money on MUT packs. So if you're playing a mode that doesn't generate additional revenue you have to realize that the mode is going to not be built for the people playing it. It's going to be built like this mode around kids and people who don't even play the game to pull them in and maybe stick around and spend more money in-game. It's no coincidence that you get MUT rewards upon completion of the mode. It really, really sucks but that's just the way it is and it isn't going to change any time soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »