Home

Is 2K Ready for Female My career/Same Sex Career Story?

This is a discussion on Is 2K Ready for Female My career/Same Sex Career Story? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is 2K Ready for Female My career/Same Sex Career Story?

An uncomfortable topic I want to speak on is being gay in the sporting world. I am a heterosexual male and I grew up playing sports just like most of you. If you were like me, we all knew someone who was different. We could tell they were different by what toys they played with, to the after school activities they participated in. I can only imagine in a male dominated society how difficult it must be to grow up being gay and being good at a sport, nonetheless in general.

The reason this crossed my mind is because with all these avenues in Television and movies giving The LGBTQ community an outlet to speak their truths, I was wondering with 2Ks my player mode getting pretty stale these days, I wanted to ask the community a question:

Do you believe the the 2K community is ready for a story arch that deals with a young star in the making who deals with the struggles of a making into the league as basketball star and dealing with his sexual identity in the male dominated world of sports?

Also, with the increase of female 2K youtubers and female basketball fans in general, Would female my player/MyCareer be something that 2K would look into implementing moving forward?

Please be respectful and share your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Breakstarter

Last edited by Breakstarter; 06-12-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Is 2K Ready for Female My career/Same Sex Career Story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakstarter
An uncomfortable topic I want to speak on is being gay in the sporting world. I am a heterosexual male and I grew up playing sports just like most of you. If you were like me, we all knew someone who was different. We could tell they were different by what toys they played with, to the after school activities they participated in. I can only imagine in a male dominated society how difficult it must be to grow up being gay and being good at a sport, nonetheless in general.

The reason this crossed my mind is because with all these avenues in Television and movies giving The LGBTQ community an outlet to speak their truths, I was wondering with 2Ks my player mode getting pretty stale these days, I wanted to ask the community a question:

Do you believe the the 2K community is ready for a story arch that deals with a young star in the making who deals with the struggles of a making into the league as basketball star and dealing with his sexual identity in the male dominated world of sports?

Also, with the increase of female 2K youtubers and female basketball fans in general, Would female my player/MyCareer be something that 2K would look into implementing moving forward?

Please be respectful and share your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Breakstarter
Based on an early NBA Live screenshot, it looks like the WNBA may be involved in some way shape or fashion with the upcoming Live 18.

EA also does this in FIFA with Womens National Soccer teams.

There's a ton of female sports fans, especially basketball. If it is true that Live is making the jump to WNBA ball, it'll be a shame that 2K missed out on this opportunity.

I'd love to be able to play with Kristal Plum, Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Elena Delle Done, etc. in BOTH games, not just Live.

I won't touch the LBGT subject, though. That's a can of worms just waiting to be opened and it might not end well on these forums. As far as women and sports games, there's a whole new untapped market when it comes to WNBA ball that i think 2K should try to exploit like Live (speculation) is.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

We already got this in 2k17. Michael B Jordan has been after my D all damn game... he even broke up my relationship with my girl.

Personally, I don't ever want to know the personal back-story of my guy in a sports game ever again. As a kid, I would pretend I was shooting last second shots in a game 7 of an epic finals... not fantasizing about my dead dad, fake mom, and off-court drama.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Rookie

MaybeNick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Based on an early NBA Live screenshot, it looks like the WNBA may be involved in some way shape or fashion with the upcoming Live 18.

EA also does this in FIFA with Womens National Soccer teams.

There's a ton of female sports fans, especially basketball. If it is true that Live is making the jump to WNBA ball, it'll be a shame that 2K missed out on this opportunity.

I'd love to be able to play with Kristal Plum, Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Elena Delle Done, etc. in BOTH games, not just Live.

I won't touch the LBGT subject, though. That's a can of worms just waiting to be opened and it might not end well on these forums. As far as women and sports games, there's a whole new untapped market when it comes to WNBA ball that i think 2K should try to exploit like Live (speculation) is.
I don't think 2k missed any market with the WNBA. There are very few fans of it (hence the famous internet question '' Would you rather find 20 dollars on the street or have tour local WNBA team win the ship? '') and buying the licenses would cost more than the sales they would get.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeNick
I don't think 2k missed any market with the WNBA. There are very few fans of it (hence the famous internet question '' Would you rather find 20 dollars on the street or have tour local WNBA team win the ship? '') and buying the licenses would cost more than the sales they would get.

I know females that play 2k... you'd never know because everyone in the park is a dude, but a lot those people are actually females.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

No. Not because I have anything against gay people, I just dont see this story being written well by 2K. Frankly this sort of story would need to be written with a level of dexterity that I dont think they would be capable of pulling off. The cliches they seem to lean on while writing MyCareer stories could just end up offending people if it's applied to a group such as gay people.

As for a female MyPlayer, if they put the WNBA into the game I think that would be cool.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
Pro

zrohman's Arena

Considering the fact that I hate forced story modes, I would definitely hate this in any sports game.

Considering I get called a bigot simply for disagreeing with that lifestyle choice (just like I disagree with people sleeping around, etc.) I definitely would not want a storyline forced on me.

There's no doubt that many are treated poorly because they choose to make other choices. I would never advocate treating someone unlovingly because I disagree with them. And for too long people have used disagreements like this as a way to fuel hatred for each other.

But that same hatred used against the LGBT community is also used against those who disagree with them as well. It's a big mess like others said. And the last thing I want is a soap opera in my sports game. I'd like to just play basketball, make choices in any story mode I play,

Oh, and I'd prefer not to have the name Prez forced onto my character, or "Orange Juice" as a nickname.

We can disagree lovingly here.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeNick

I think you underestimate the amount of female basketball fans that play NBA 2K and watch the WNBA religiously.

You won't find many men who care for the sports, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a highly devoted female following. 3 of my female cousins who play the sport and play 2K have said they would love to have the WNBA represented in a video game.

There's a market for it. Live saw that market, it probably isn't profitable enough for 2K to consider, but it would make quite a few ladies happy. Hell, I'm sure there are WNBA players who would love to see themselves represented in the game.

Like I said in my previous post, I think Live did implement the WNBA into their upcoming game, we'll see what the WNBA fan base has to say once it's all said and done.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »